Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2017, 12:30 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,523,981 times

Advertisements

I remember when Regency mall was the place to be in the 1980s. YOu could spend a whole day in that mall... all your friends were there. At the time it was safe enough to be dropped off and spend the day. I loved the pizza place near the center court.. Dino's I believe it was called. It had mirrored walls and they tossed the pizza dough in the air. It is sad what happened to Regency but times change I suppose and the surrounding neighborhoods are not what they once were. Anyone remember the Moonlight Madness sales at the JB White at Regency Mall? Those were fun
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 01:26 PM

1,497 posts, read 1,523,981 times
As far as 80's nightlife.. Augusta was pretty hoppin back in the day. Back then major bands actually came to town.. not nostalgia acts that were popular 25 or 30 years in teh past.. current big name acts. As far as the nightlife scene, the places that pop out are Adams, Katmandu, New York New York, Purple Onion, Michael's. .The thing I remember back then is that the vast majority of the big nightlife spots were off Washington Rd and some on Wrightsboro Rd.
Then for the rednecks there was Horne's Honky Tonk on Gordon Highway in South Augusta..
Pretty much all that was downtown was the strip clubs which were much more numerous back then than today but not much downtown as far as nightclubs. Anyone remember Coconuts in Surrey Center from the 90s? It was probably the cheesiest nightclub of all time and was nicknamed CocoSluts for obvious reasons. There was a great video on Youtube about it.. it may stil be online.

Old 07-08-2017, 04:44 PM

6,224 posts, read 6,639,844 times
Wow, thx all. LOL Hey where'd the real long post made yest by a lady who lived in Augusta from 80-86 go? I awoke today n wanted to finish reading it -- but is gone? Oh well, maybe I dreamt it was real, haha.

But thx Augnative for insight & yes, could go on for awhile remembering those early 80s in Aug. "No matter where I go, you're the best place that I know, Hello Augusta channel 26 we love u!". Anyone recall that??

Old 07-08-2017, 06:46 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,960,055 times
Quote:
"No matter where I go, you're the best place that I know, Hello Augusta channel 26 we love u!". Anyone recall that??
You're referring to "Hello News!" It's a now legendary TV news theme / branding campaign that was bought and used by TV stations all over the country during the 1980s. Some were better than others, but I always thought the one for 11-Alive in Atlanta was the best. You can go to YouTube and listen to all of them -- dozens and dozens of "Hello (fill in the blank) you're the best place that I know!" A studio singer named Florence Warner can be heard on all of them. She may have had the most famous voice in America back in the 80s!

https://youtu.be/PQy7tvYMan8

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBFCB7C585D1C206

Last edited by Newsboy; 07-08-2017 at 06:56 PM..

Old 07-08-2017, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
You're referring to "Hello News!" It's a now legendary TV news theme / branding campaign that was bought and used by TV stations all over the country during the 1980s. Some were better than others, but I always thought the one for 11-Alive in Atlanta was the best. You can go to YouTube and listen to all of them -- dozens and dozens of "Hello (fill in the blank) you're the best place that I know!" A studio singer named Florence Warner can be heard on all of them. She may have had the most famous voice in America back in the 80s!

https://youtu.be/PQy7tvYMan8

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEBFCB7C585D1C206
Yo, was smashed outta my mind 84-85 when ex was @ Ft Gordon as Army supply. I worked women shoes in both Aug & Reg malls-- & was drunk 95% time! Had a blast & met soo many hotties from the south bein from the north & was called a yankee-- but wow was the ladies a' hot! YOWSERS!!!

Old 07-16-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcapri1983 View Post
I know this is late, just came across it. I was in Ft. Gordon in 1984. Used to spend lots of time at Katmandu's and a country bar that was not far from it. Also in either Regency Mall or Augusta mall there was a bar called the Bulldog that we would hang at. It was of course a college bar. I was 18-19 and drinking age in GA was 18 then.
Ex-wife was Army Supply @ DDEAMC 84-85 til she swapped back to NJ. Her names (removed) & she had a buddy who dishonorabled, I think, that was gonna takeover our apt lease. Ha what a joke it was as he moved in before she left, & I worked shoe stores in both malls & came home drunk n late alot nites. Her & he had a fling, I think. But she's married now to diff guy (her 3rd marriage including me, I think) & lives in SC -- so thats over & moot point. We divorced in 86. Were married Dec. '83. Short disaster but you live n learn. LOL

I was 23 when I married, she 20 & you see the chaos it caused, following her career after me graduating college -- to follow a girl's career. My dad never let me off the hook & had alot to say bad about my doing it. RIP dad as you WERE right & I was naive n gullible.

Old 09-14-2017, 06:46 PM

4 posts, read 10,242 times
The places us to be DR. brews downtown, then there was Stonehenge at north leg, Billy jacks on central ave., Whipping post downtown and the riverside inn out in no mans land between Ga and Carolina.
Adams was a Discotheque and a lot of fun also and we can't forget the Carriage House on Gordon Highway along with the bar at the Gordon Highway Holiday Inn.

Old 11-15-2017, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 8,213 times
Smile The Whippin Post

Wow, talk about a blast from the past! We used to go to The Whippin Post all the time back in the late 70s/early 80s! Such good times there, and saw some good bands, like Eric Quincy Tate, or EQT for short. They were awesome! Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Old 12-03-2017, 01:33 AM

1 posts, read 8,146 times
Just reading everyone’s comments and a few other Hot Spots back in their day came to mind. How about the Operating Room by Fat Man’s Forrest or the Gin Mill. DWFries, the partridge inn, the. Red Lion Pub, the Highlander, the Cellar, Does anyone remember Saints or the Dynasty that was behind regency mall? The Main Event in N. Augusta, Richards Supper Club, Chevy’s, the Great Escape, Time Pieces or Patty Arbuckle’s in the Port Royal to name a few.

Old 12-06-2017, 08:29 PM

3 posts, read 17,959 times
I remember the Katmandu... I worked there in the Summer of 1982. I wish I could find someone who worked there who would remember a band called
Hi-Roller...anyone know where they were From?? Would love to know.
Thanks
D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area