Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2022, 06:15 AM

6,141 posts, read 9,204,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
Re: the Sears/hotel -- the hotel developer contracted Loftis to demolish the Sears last summer. The City still hasn't given Loftis a demolition permit because of an *unwritten* rule that property owners which share a common wall must both agree to a demolition. The new mall owners (who are awful, but that's for another time) are objecting, saying that demolition of Sears could damage the mall building.

The hotel developer and Loftis say that there is no actual "common wall" under any standard, understood engineering-related definition (i.e., load-bearing) at all and that there is almost 10 feet between the outer structural walls of each building.

So the project is actually trying move forward, but stuck in political red tape hell.
Thanks for the update.

The new mall owners are arguably worse than the previous ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2022, 06:22 AM

I managed to be in Charleston this past Sunday. Here's a few things I noticed in my very brief visit.

Southridge is alive and well! I don't know if it was because of the good weather, but it seemed like everybody from a 2 hour radius decided to converge on Southridge on Sunday afternoon. I was kind of shocked by it, because it felt like it does during the Christmas shopping season. Ever restaurant looked packed with after church crowds, and all of the parking lots and intersections were compressed with cars. I was going to try my the Texas Roadhouse, but as you could imagine it was packed!

Dunkin is coming to Oakwood Road. On my way to Southridge I noticed that the former 7-11 site was being filled in, and a sign reading "Dunkin" was hanging on a construction fence. This has been rumored for a while, but it's nice to see it actually happen. It amazes me that it has taken this long for the city to get a measly Dunkin.

Downtown is looking sharp. With Slack Plaza finished, the library renovation complete, and a few other projects ongoing, downtown is looking the best it ever has in my lifetime. What I mean by that is that it no longer looks like a city stuck in 1980. Sure there's still some blight here and there, but it is improving. I think that all it would take is one major employer downtown (not government related) to really spring a renaissance. Not holding my breath on that, but still.

Old 04-13-2022, 03:29 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,639,121 times
Slack Plaza really looked nice when I was in a couple weeks ago- the updates were much needed. Hopefully it won't just become another gathering area for the hordes of homeless and drug addicts that seem to be aimlessly wandering around town all the time. Was it just me or have their numbers exploded recently?

And yes I heard about all the excitement of the new Texas Roadhouse- am I missing something or wasn't there already one in Charleston back in the day? Maybe I am thinking of Lone Star. And Texas Steakhouse & Saloon. Almost anything is better than Ryans buffet though so that was a nice site replacement.

Old 04-14-2022, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Slack Plaza really looked nice when I was in a couple weeks ago- the updates were much needed. Hopefully it won't just become another gathering area for the hordes of homeless and drug addicts that seem to be aimlessly wandering around town all the time. Was it just me or have their numbers exploded recently?

And yes I heard about all the excitement of the new Texas Roadhouse- am I missing something or wasn't there already one in Charleston back in the day? Maybe I am thinking of Lone Star. And Texas Steakhouse & Saloon. Almost anything is better than Ryans buffet though so that was a nice site replacement.
I do not ever remember there being one, but I've heard other people say that there was one. But like you, I wonder if people just get the whole Texas themed steakhouse concept jumbled up. Confusing Lone Star or Texas Steakhouse with Texas Roadhouse. Either way, you are correct in saying taht it is a much better alternative than Ryan's.

Old 11-28-2022, 06:21 AM

I was able to make it in for Thanksgiving, and I spent all day in Charleston Saturday. I wanted to show my gf the town, and all the spots I love. I have a few thoughts from what we saw.

We had breakfast at First Watch, and the place was packed! It's been a while since I have eaten there, and the food and service were excellent!

Afterward, we walked around downtown. It was "Small Business Saturday", so all the stores were running promotions. Capital, Summers, Quarrier, and Hale were fairly busy for an early Saturday morning. We went in several stores like Buck and Betty, Black Locust, Taylor Books, Purple Moon, Art Emporium, WV Market, and Stray Dog Antics. I am very proud of what some of these stores continue to do in downtown. We ended up buying things in several stores. She really liked the stores that we went into.

We also went inside the library. It was the first time I had gotten a chance to go inside since it's renovation. All I can say is, wow! It was very well done and I felt like I was somewhere other than Charleston, WV. I was also pleased to see the "coffee nook" featuring a third location of Mea Cuppa. The architecture is very satisfying inside and out. I was very impressed. Capital and Summers street were blocked off, and they had vendors in the street. We were kind of early for most of them, but it was a nice thing the city was doing for small businesses.

In addition to that, we walked through the Brawley Walkway and new newly renovated Slack Park. They have it looking very festive with dozens of Christmas trees. I know that they were having a special Christmas thing "Holly Jolly Brawly" https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/ho...pping-locally/. Honestly, I thought it was rather tacky. Still, it seemed to be a hit with people so I won't complain too much. The park looked nice, but I think there's a lot of room for improvement. One thing I's suggest is doing some kind or mural or light show on the wall of the People's Building.

We also walked into the Town Center. I wanted to show her a mall that had seen better days. The pictures on the vacant store fronts were a nice touch, but ultimately the experience was very depressing. It was hard to find any signs of life in terms of open stores. I have noticed that for the most part, the stores that remain are all national brands. I was surprised to see as many people as I did in there. It was NOTHING like it was back in the mall's prime on the Saturday following Thanksgiving.

Next, we drove thru the East End and Kanawha City. We were crunched for time, but someday I will take her to the State Museum at the Capitol. Not a lot has changed in either of those places, even though I did see the work they were doing to MacCorkle Ave. Also, CAMC's new building on the other side of the RR tracks looked very nice.

I then drove her up Bridge Road and we briefly went onto the Carriage Trail. A thought I had when I was there is that there should be a deck built there that extends out from the hillside. That way people could see all the way down to the Capitol. Next we drove over to Corridor G. Between the new R-Cut interchange, Dunkin, new storage units being built, and whatever they're building across from Dunkin, there's been a lot of work done in that part of town recently.

I took her up to Southridge, but just for a gander. Traffic was actually lite for post-Thanksgiving shopping. I didn't notice anything new or different from the last time I was there. We took Jefferson Road after that, and I was able to see all the work being done there. The new access road was shaping up, with the new bridge pillars up. The hillside along Jefferson Road was being cleared for the future expansion. The most supprizing thing was how far along they have gotten on the bridge over the railroad tracks at the bottom of the hill. I feel like they have made a lot of progress in a short amount of time! That will be extremely nice once it's all finished!

Next, we went to Spring Hill Pastry and got some hot dogs!!! Oh my how I have missed those things. They have never tasted better! I regret not buying all they had left and taking them back to NY with me.

We drove through South Charleston, then headed to Elk City. There were lots of people shopping at Kinship Goods and Vandalia Market, which is very nice. They really have something going in that part of town! She really like Kinship Goods, and maybe next time when the place isn't crawling with people we'll spend more time there.

After that, I showed her the Capital Market. It was also busy. We bought some things at the Purple Onion, and I think she was impressed with what the market had to offer.

That night, we went to Black Sheep for dinner and it was very good. Downtown was looking nice with the Christmas decorations all lite up. Overall, I was happy with the time we had in Chucktown. She was impressed with the city, and I was pleasantly surprised by some of the improvements to the city. I continue to see the potential in Charleston everytime I come back home, but there's still a lot of economic factors that hold it back from experiencing real growth and change!

Honorable shoutout: The new car wash in Kanawha City (behind Lowe's) does a good job. I really love the free vacuum afterwards.

Last edited by Chriscross309; 11-28-2022 at 06:42 AM..

Old 05-31-2023, 08:12 AM

I was back in Charleston this past Sunday and noticed a few things.

Does anybody know what they are building behind the YWCA building on Quarrier Street? It's a multistory building that looks as if it could be apartments.

The new CAMC building on Chestnut Ave. looks great!

WV Health Right is expanding their building on Washington Street East. It looks as if it will almost double their footprint.

The biggest thing that stood out to me was the missing Sears building. Wow is that a weird looking site right in the heart of the city! It's sad to think about that intersection being such a prime spot, however literally every corner it has is either empty or vacant structure! If someone with a vision saw that, it could be a phenomenal opportunity for redevelopment! But this is Charleston we are talking about.

Old Today, 08:05 AM

I managed to come in for Memorial Day weekend and was able to adventure around for a little bit.

1. MacCorkle Ave. Hot Mess > Holy cow is Kanawha City a wreck right now. How are any of those businesses staying alive with the whole northside of the road torn apart? This is something that is taking way too long and I heard that it won't be better until next year! I did see that some places have had nice renovations like Tim Hogan's, and the Sheetz is progressing nicely.

2. The Season of Loftis > Nobody in the Capital City is doing better right now than the folks at Rodney Loftis & Sons Contracting. They tore down the Sears buildings, they are working on demolishing Macy's, and they will soon start on the CASCI building. Pretty soon, downtown Charleston will be a parking lot! I really hope that they actually build the things they say they're going to built. Hotel. Sports Complex. TC Energy.

3. Italian Evening > I was able to take my wife to Leonoro's for the first time on Saturday. It's my absolute favorite place in Charleston, but she's never had the opportunity to eat there. We were not disappointed! Afterwards, we grabbed gelato at Cafe Romeo's in South Hills. If you haven't been there, then you are missing out. Better Gelato then I had in Italy! And the owner is a real gem.

4. South Charleston > For jiggles I wanted to use the new connector road into Trace Fork and see the progress on the Jefferson Rd. expansion. They really have done a lot, and it will be a whole new world when that's all complete. I also drove by Park Place, and noticed that not a lot had changed since my last drive by. Starbucks wasn't opened yet, and Menard's didn't appear to have started construction. I feel that this place is going to be a field of dirt for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston