Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2023, 04:01 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToriaT View Post
Good luck. Hopefully you will adjust to our winters. I hate hot weather so I will never move. I've only been to Arizona once, and I remember there wasn't much greenery, and people had front yards made of stone and cacti planted. The back yards were walled. And the house I was in had these blind like shutters to keep out the heat. None of these which I would like.
Arizona is quite diverse in almost every way. I think the Phoenix area is unfortunately what a lot of people stereotype Arizona as. However, even the older parts of Phoenix can be quite green. Much of older Phoenix, Scottsdale, Tempe, and Mesa are irrigated. In older and wealthier enclaves like Arcadia, North Central, Encanto, and Biltmore, you will find many homes with lush lawns, relatively dense tree cover, and colorful vegetation. Even the desert landscape can have remarkable color, if you look for it! Personally, I think even Phoenix is one of the prettiest parts of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2023, 04:28 PM

374 posts, read 257,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Not sure why that would happen. You can literally get almost the exact same kind of food in Phoenix as you can in Chicago, especially since so many Chicagoans have moved to Phoenix and brought the food with them. There's Portillo's, Gino's, Lou Malnati's, and countless other Chicago dog, pizza, and italian beef places in and around Phoenix.

Ah, nothing like Chicago food though. Not every restaurant can put new locations in the Phoenix area. More choices in Chicagoland too, which means more temptations.

Old 05-14-2023, 09:17 AM

828 posts, read 449,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Not sure why that would happen. You can literally get almost the exact same kind of food in Phoenix as you can in Chicago, especially since so many Chicagoans have moved to Phoenix and brought the food with them. There's Portillo's, Gino's, Lou Malnati's, and countless other Chicago dog, pizza, and italian beef places in and around Phoenix.
You can get most of the Chicago chains in AZ but not the stand alone famous spots in Chicago. Phoenix’s food scene is definitely improving a lot though.

Old 05-15-2023, 02:13 PM

374 posts, read 257,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBears02 View Post
You can get most of the Chicago chains in AZ but not the stand alone famous spots in Chicago. Phoenix’s food scene is definitely improving a lot though.

That sounds very much to be the case, from what I gather.

Old 08-24-2023, 08:16 PM

39 posts, read 63,185 times
Can you comment on whether or not this area has a large Polish population? My wife is Polish and I’d like for her to be able to communicate with others in Polish without issues. We’re considering relocating to Chicago as soon as we can pinpoint a location suitable for our family.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Great update. I relate to this very much. We did the exact opposite - from Chicago burbs, moved to Tucson, moved back to Chicago burbs, now in the city. You likely would have been happier in Naperville- I lived there for 16 years.

And my mom lives in Oro Valley, know it very well. You hit all the places in your post that struck me, Chicago, Naperville, Oro Valley, Tucson and I was born in the Quad Cities!

Old 08-25-2023, 03:21 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcherblanc View Post
Can you comment on whether or not this area has a large Polish population? My wife is Polish and I’d like for her to be able to communicate with others in Polish without issues. We’re considering relocating to Chicago as soon as we can pinpoint a location suitable for our family.
People of Polish heritage are spread throughout Chicagoland because they have been here for many generations by now. However, recent immigrants tend to settle on the northwest side of the city. I doubt that most people you encounter with Polish surnames in Illinois have any knowledge of Polish. In the suburbs, aside from janitorial staff, I almost never hear it being spoken anywhere.

Old 08-25-2023, 03:29 PM

179 posts, read 271,838 times
There are plenty of people who speak Polish in the city and the suburbs. There are multiple Polish restaurants, bakeries, delis, and services in Schaumburg, Roselle, Bloomingdale, Hanover Park alone. I've entered a handful and, more often than not, been the only non-Pole.

Old 08-25-2023, 10:30 PM

6 posts, read 13,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Great update. I relate to this very much. We did the exact opposite - from Chicago burbs, moved to Tucson, moved back to Chicago burbs, now in the city. You likely would have been happier in Naperville- I lived there for 16 years.

And my mom lives in Oro Valley, know it very well. You hit all the places in your post that struck me, Chicago, Naperville, Oro Valley, Tucson and I was born in the Quad Cities!
Small world! We have settled nicely in Oro Valley. I still find myself missing the rain and the change of seasons in the midwest. I do not see a job transfer anywhere in our future, but I have already told hubby that the Chicago area has definitely left an imprint on my heart - I would not protest if we were ever asked to go to Chicago.

Old 08-29-2023, 03:21 PM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamcatcherblanc View Post
Heck, just go into Gene's Sausage Shop in Lincoln Square - run by Polish folk, and many workers speaking Polish. Generally, they are spread all around the city - lots of Polish descendants in Chicago, but not necessarily of the native tongue.

Old 08-30-2023, 06:46 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,244,563 times
Kmanshouse, thank you for mentioning Gene's Deli!

Any idea when the rooftop closes, which will make me sad!!!!!????????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs