Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which will become a dead mall?
Gurnee Mills 2 3.45%
Hawthorn Mall 0 0%
Northbrook Court 2 3.45%
Golf Mill Mall 5 8.62%
Lincolnwood Town Center 1 1.72%
Harlem Irving Plaza 2 3.45%
Woodfield Mall 0 0%
Stratford Square Mall 13 22.41%
Fox Valley Mall 0 0%
Spring Hill Mall 1 1.72%
Yorktown Shopping Center 1 1.72%
North Riverside Park Mall 4 6.90%
Ford City Mall 5 8.62%
Chicago Ridge Mall 5 8.62%
River Oaks Mall 10 17.24%
Orland Square Mall 4 6.90%
Louis Joliet Mall 3 5.17%
Southlake Mall 0 0%
Voters: 58. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2023, 01:13 PM

3,958 posts, read 6,889,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
Yep. Surprised this one wasn't bulldozed 10 years ago
I grew up going to Charlestowne. It was the most beautiful mall in it's prime. The carousel on the second level with glass ceilings allowing for abundant natural light was unlike any other.

The mall is so dead, that Toyota raced cars inside. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NbAB--AGyQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2023, 01:14 PM

4,679 posts, read 3,336,246 times
ChiGuy2.5, I remember first going to Golf Mill several years ago. I went there about a year ago, and it definitely looked more bleak.

Hopefully something good will happen inside.

Old 10-27-2023, 01:17 PM

Several years ago when I first discovered the mall In Vernon Hills, you could see the mall from the street on the east side. NOW, it is surrounded by condos!

Also, the Mellody Farms strip mall was built which was just a field, back then!

Old 10-27-2023, 06:19 PM

aaaaaaaand......... but, WOW, this Northbrook Court closes at 7:00 p.m.!!

I was going to walk the mall, while I wait for my date to arrive, but I guess now I'll have to drink wine like Jesus

Old 10-28-2023, 11:41 AM

900 posts, read 641,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
I understand Old Orchard Mall has plans for renovating even more so. Since the last post here in 2017, Barnes and Noble has moved it's location, inside. I believe they are in good shape!

I still am a fan of Northbrook Court. In fact, I plan to go there tonight!

There has been a spate of new and announced store openings at Old Orchard in the past few months.

Some new retailers have opened there last month: Amour Vert, Bohme and Goyol Cashmere, and Victoria's Secret.

Gorjana, Aritizia, Urban Outfitter, and Vouri are scheduled to open by the end of the year.

Also, it was announced by mall owner, URW, that three new businesses are slated to open next year at the mall's closed Lord and Taylor store. They are Arhaus, Puttshack, and Zara.

Old 10-28-2023, 04:01 PM

Nearwest, how are you?, or shall I ask: What energizes you?).... That's a Social Work thing!

I've always been a fan of Skokie (shhhhh, do not repeat that to Kmanshouse. He finds it hard to believe!).

And I've always been a fan of Old Orchard.

Thank you for sharing the update that you did.

Have a great weekend!

Old 10-31-2023, 11:35 PM

424 posts, read 977,862 times
Fan of Northbrook Court and Old Orchard since I grew up going there frequently. It will be interesting to see what Old Orchard looks like when they redevelop it. Seems like it's been under redevelopment for the past 20 years or so....

Those aren't going anywhere anytime soon despite ecommerce. Interestingly (oddly) enough Water Tower Place seems to be on the decline, def not going to die but I passed through in the summer and it was a bit emptier than I would've thought for a July afternoon. I know Macy's moved out but some other stores have packed up there in the past year. The Shops at 900 North Michigan and North Bridge seem to be more popular.

Old 05-17-2024, 05:17 PM

3,507 posts, read 3,433,622 times
This hadn't gotten a lot of comments in a while. But as every so often I revisit malls to check on their status, I can post some insights I've noticed.

Northbrook Court- it isn't dead, but I think it will need SERIOUS help to hang on. It also isn't good when Old Orchard has poached a couple of stores from Northbrook as of late, like Arhaus. It's down to 2 anchors left(Neiman Marcus, plus AMC theaters which started life under General Cinema when it first opened), and I worry it might struggle long term. Brookfield Properties wanted to build apartments where Macy's once stood, and that project still hasn't began. I'm kinda surprised Gap closed at Old Orchard but remains open at Northbrook Court, since Old Orchard appears to be a stronger mall to me. I wish this mall could attract A DECENT new anchor, to the old Lord and Taylor/Shopper's Find space.

Hawthorn Center- even more than Northbrook, this mall has declined quicker. It makes me really sad, since it seems not that long ago this mall was holding its own vs. say like Gurnee Mills and etc. Even JCPenney closes at 7pm(on non-Sundays) at Hawthorn, which was shocking for me to discover. The food court is down to only Sbarro, one other place(forgetting the name of it), and Cinnabon. Taco Bell finally closed in their food court, and the crepes place I liked on the 1st floor near JCPenney(can't remember their name) closed. They did attract a new coffee and pastries stand in center court, but the vacancy rot east of center court is obvious when you're inside this mall. I worry that this mall attracting Dave and Busters and AMC Theaters, isn't doing enough to attract new stores inside. Plus when Melody Lane shopping center opened, this poached a few stores from Hawthorn like Barnes and Noble. It is nice they were able to attract Barbara's Bookstore to open, though. I just worry the time is ticking away fast for this mall, perhaps faster than Northbrook.

Golf Mill- I'm not surprised a demalling may be happening here very soon. This mall has had a slow rot happening for years, and not even their 2007 remodel did enough to attract new stores here. It attracted a handful of new businesses(i.e. Deb, Elephant Bar restaurant), which didn't stay for long. Kudos to Gloria Jean's, since I like the one at this mall. I'm AMAZED that one is still open, with how many other stores have closed here. Same with being surprised Bath and Body Works was still hanging on, with so many other stores choosing to bail from this mall. The condition of this mall slipped more, after Sears closed and Ulta took over half of the mall food court area.

North Riverside- still VERY successful, to the point their food court was nearly 100% occupied. I was very surprised how well this mall was doing, to the point I couldn't see many vacancies except for(no surprise) it's former Carson's anchor space. I read the mall owner bought the Carson's space, so hopefully something happens with it soon. Attracting Round 1 to open, also was a great idea.

Harlem-Irving Plaza- VERY solid mall, it will NOT be declining anytime soon. And they manged to redevelop the old Carson's space, into several smaller spaces(Forever 21, Dick's, Hobby Lobby, etc).

I'll do more analyses, another time.

Old 05-19-2024, 08:49 AM

SonySegaTendo617,

Very nice writeup!

Yes, I remember the food court at Vernon Hills being much more busier and filled with restaurants. That said, there's no shortage of shoppers and stores, which is great!

The last few times I went to Northbrook, there was not a lot of shoppers, and storefronts were closed, or barren. And their "food court" had the same couple of restaurants.

I'm looking forward to Old Orchard, now that the weather is getting nicer!

Old 05-19-2024, 02:59 PM

147 posts, read 78,178 times
I worked at Northbrook Court at a jewelry store back in the mid 70's. It was a happening spot way back then. Even worked at Deerbrook Mall (long gone) early 70's. I moved out West in 78 never to look back. You know what they say about change. It's inevitable, I guess. I'll just keep the good stuff in my memories. Heck if I go back far enough even shopping centers on the far South Side were happening. Now they are empty parking lots. Even worked at a Pacific Stereo in a mall up in Gurnee in the mid 70's. I think that mall is gone as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago Suburbs