Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 02:12 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
Jesus People were (and, I believe, still are) based on WILSON Street a bit east of Sheridan, which is 4600 North. Irving Park is 4000 North and Fullerton is 2400 North.
thank you - but this definitely was Wilton St. maybe that was where The Seed was printed.. its just something that i am not quite remembering and its buggin me! i mean how could a person find out such a thing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 02:15 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
thank you - but this definitely was Wilton St. maybe that was where The Seed was printed.. its just something that i am not quite remembering and its buggin me! i mean how could a person find out such a thing?
Look in old telephone directories at the library.

Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM

19 posts, read 28,466 times
Don't know where it was printed, but wasn't The Seed HQ'ed at 950 W. Wrightwood, above, or next to, Alice's Revisited (later club 950)? Am pretty sure...

Old 07-10-2013, 08:53 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznoir View Post
Don't know where it was printed, but wasn't The Seed HQ'ed at 950 W. Wrightwood, above, or next to, Alice's Revisited (later club 950)? Am pretty sure...
Found this about the Seed. Notice the various stores and businesses on Wells Street
at the time.

THE SEED UNDERGROUND CHICAGO HIPPIE NEWSPAPER - YouTube

I don't know how many current residents in Old Town remember or are aware of what happened
at the Walgreen's on 1601 N. Wells (North Ave) in 1982. Seven people who bought Tylenol
capsules died. Someone placed cyanide in several bottles and the lunatic who did it was never
caught. That was when Johnson & Johnson created the safety wrapped products that are now
commonplace.

The Tylenol killer

Old 07-11-2013, 10:59 AM

9,912 posts, read 9,590,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznoir View Post
Hmmm, since wilton is near there, that might be it.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:42 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSwede000777 View Post
My concern !!!! If lots of people talk highly about Pipers Alley, and different places in OLD Town {The Hippy years} Then why the hell didn`t someone ever take photos of OLD Town back in the Hippy Years and display them on the internet??? I would love to have a poster of OLD Town back then. I personally miss those special days. I wish I could build a Time Machine and go back to that area and simply stay there. I was happiest back then. Great music also. Hendrix, Joplin, The Doors, etc, etc. Glenn S.
Because I wasn't really interested enough in photography to buy a camera, and neither were a lot of other people. Cameras have become cheap and widespread in the last couple of decades.

Pipers Alley was fun although the hippie vibe of Old Town was regarded as somewhat plastic and suburban compared to the "real" hippie scenes in New York, Cambridge/Boston, San Francisco, and southern California. (My wife disagrees and says that Old Town hippies were real hippies.)

Here's a nice drawing of it: Chicago. Pipers Alley On Wells Street Drawing by Robert Birkenes - Chicago. Pipers Alley On Wells Street Fine Art Prints and Posters for Sale

Old 07-12-2013, 02:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
Found this about the Seed. Notice the various stores and businesses on Wells Street
at the time.

THE SEED UNDERGROUND CHICAGO HIPPIE NEWSPAPER - YouTube

I don't know how many current residents in Old Town remember or are aware of what happened
at the Walgreen's on 1601 N. Wells (North Ave) in 1982. Seven people who bought Tylenol
capsules died. Someone placed cyanide in several bottles and the lunatic who did it was never
caught. That was when Johnson & Johnson created the safety wrapped products that are now
commonplace.

The Tylenol killer
Sure, I remember. I was one of the 50,000 people questioned about it. I knew nothing about it. I was questioned because I hung out at the Earl of Old Town next door.

Old 07-12-2013, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Because I wasn't really interested enough in photography to buy a camera, and neither were a lot of other people. Cameras have become cheap and widespread in the last couple of decades.

Pipers Alley was fun although the hippie vibe of Old Town was regarded as somewhat plastic and suburban compared to the "real" hippie scenes in New York, Cambridge/Boston, San Francisco, and southern California. (My wife disagrees and says that Old Town hippies were real hippies.)

Here's a nice drawing of it: Chicago. Pipers Alley On Wells Street Drawing by Robert Birkenes - Chicago. Pipers Alley On Wells Street Fine Art Prints and Posters for Sale
"That Steak Joynt" is on the print, it was a great piano bar and restaurant. Link below
has some pics, history and the collection of items in there that were salvaged from
historical places in the city.

THAT STEAK JOYNT

Old 07-17-2013, 02:54 AM

Someone messaged me saying that the Tylenol investigation story must have been interesting. it is a pretty good story but not awesome.

I was overheard in the Earl of Old Town, where I was a regular customer and piano player, saying that whoever put poison in the Tylenol bottles might have taken a short position in Johnson and Johnson stock, or had bought put options on the stock, or otherwise stood to profit from the stock going down.

Somebody thought that meant I might know something about the poisoning and told the police how to reach me. They came to my Lakeview apartment at 6 the next morning, questioned me for about a half hour, and then left. Just before they left, one of the police officers said to me, "Did you do it?" (I said no. That is a standard questioning technique.) I never heard from them again.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:31 PM

^^^^Interesting read. So the Earl of Old Town is now Corcoran's and That Steak Joynt is the Adobo Grill.
By any chance were you able to hear Richie Havens there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago