Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2024, 01:09 PM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times

Advertisements

I love the city and planning to move there soon, looking to buy a condo in a high rise. However, one little bit of hesitation I have is around the frigid winters. Don't get me wrong, I love winter and cold weather. However, those extremely low temperatures are not to be taken lightly, and was wondering how are people dealing during the winter. What is life like?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2024, 01:27 PM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
The weather isn't a big deal unless you are forced to spend time outside. Get a good Winter coat and you'll be fine.

Old 01-15-2024, 03:25 PM

52 posts, read 24,126 times
Down winter coat, wool socks, merino wool long johns, gloves and hat and your'e all good.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:09 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
. . . . I love winter and cold weather. However, those extremely low temperatures are not to be taken lightly, and was wondering how are people dealing during the winter. What is life like?

What is happening right now is not a frequent event, nor is winter in Chicago months and months of cold, snow, ice, wind, and cloudy skies - those people who claim that are wimps and liars. If you look at weather.com today, the last 7 days of the long-range January forecast for Chicago has highs in the mid to upper 30's, and even flirts with 40 on one of those days. If you already love winter and cold weather, you know how to handle "typical" Chicago winters.

Old 01-15-2024, 05:50 PM

564 posts, read 1,720,564 times
Sounds good to me!! I am sold!

Old 01-15-2024, 07:08 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,543,450 times
One major consideration will be how your dwelling is heated. High-rises can come with a variety of different HVAC systems. I am not a fan of two pipe systems common in Chicago high-rises constructed in the '90s and '00s.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:56 PM

3,036 posts, read 3,304,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AAVC View Post
I love the city and planning to move there soon, looking to buy a condo in a high rise. However, one little bit of hesitation I have is around the frigid winters. Don't get me wrong, I love winter and cold weather. However, those extremely low temperatures are not to be taken lightly, and was wondering how are people dealing during the winter. What is life like?
Down winter coat. Get boots with plenty of traction. Check on your HVAC system & have it regularly serviced. Many may use gas heat. For high rise condo windows may be insulated so you keep warm.

Agree these very low temps not to be taken lightly. If you need to be outside may have heavy garments. If you drive a car will need snow shovel to dig out of street parking. Best to have a garage to keep it in. In the city CTA elevated generally reliable. Bus system has to deal with snow.

Chicago does have an emergency snow removal plan. Heed any instructions. You will have to investigate how it applies to you. Most important is to heed snow route parking signs. If you park on the street could be towed away.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:28 AM

934 posts, read 1,440,115 times
Also the advent of remote/hybrid work has helped. My office has granted us an additional work-from-home day to stay in from the cold. You can load up at the grocery store before the cold hits, and ride it out by the fireplace and/or heater.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:54 AM

6,721 posts, read 6,474,525 times
^ work from home is a huge bonus. Most of my bad memories of winter weather were due to commuting to and from work. Now that I work from home I don't care what the weather is outside

Old 01-16-2024, 10:43 AM

2,531 posts, read 3,096,958 times
Parka! Parka! PARKA!
I spent a winter in Chicago. Your insulated winter coat should reach to your knees; none of this ridiculous stops-at-the-waist business.
Here is an example of what I mean:
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/...AC_SL1024_.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago