Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2024, 11:26 PM

31,892 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Chicago will join NYC, NYS and other areas in banning natural gas in new construction if mayor Johnson gets his way.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...fdi-story.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2024, 01:18 AM

2,496 posts, read 3,369,129 times
There will most likely be less and less new construction in Chicago under this rather pathetic Teacher Union Leader....err...I meant......"Mayor"....

Old 01-24-2024, 06:40 AM

174 posts, read 231,729 times
Dumb as a rock no other way to say it.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:17 AM

2,191 posts, read 1,847,019 times
What is this even attempting to accomplish?

Everyone wants electricity to replace other ways to power/heat/fuel but this has its own environmental concerns.

Nuclear is more efficient.

Old 01-24-2024, 11:11 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Everyone wants electricity to replace other ways to power/heat/fuel but this has its own environmental concerns.

Heat pumps use electricity and are powered by electricity generated from nuclear as well as renewable sources. Modern heat pumps will continue to fall in cost and are far more efficient than natural gas for any new construction.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:26 PM

253 posts, read 122,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Chicago will join NYC, NYS and other areas in banning natural gas in new construction if mayor Johnson gets his way.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/polit...fdi-story.html
I find it interesting that the creator of this topic used the term "to ban", rather than "may ban". Of course, the title is essentially clickbait.

"CHICAGO (CBS) -- A proposal to effectively ban natural gas in most new buildings in Chicago was introduced to the City Council on Wednesday, but will have to clear an extra hurdle to win passage, after opponents threw up a temporary roadblock."

https://www.cbsnews.com/chicago/news...tural-gas-ban/

Old 01-24-2024, 12:38 PM

3,918 posts, read 6,829,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post

Nuclear is how we create electricity of course. Although, some environmentalists also want Nuclear energy banned which is really really dumb.

They say that 60% of the greenhouse effect in cities is caused by emissions from buildings. Using electric would help lower that significantly.

The great thing about going full electric is that you have one centralized location providing all of the energy across the grid, that's the power station. The power station can get it's energy from a multitude of ways, Wind, Solar, Nuclear, etc. So as we start adapting everything to use electric the power stations can be "upgraded" to use whatever source of energy they need to support the load. As such, it does eliminate a lot redundancies we see today like fuel trucks spending fuel to deliver fuel to gas stations, propane tanks, etc.

With that being said, many high rises in Chicago are already electric only. I own a condo near Wrigley that is only electric. It's not a huge departure from what we see today in high rises so I think it isn't totally out of touch to mandate in big cities. Especially because the insurance to carry gas to a unit is going to cost more, you will pay more to run the pipes, and then you will need to run ventilation for those units too. Electric avoids a ton of that extra expense. It's in the best interest of condo owners to want electric only because there is less to maintain, lower build costs, and lower costs to insure.

However, I am still one to advocate for individual freedoms and if someone wants a gas stove, they should be allowed, so I flip flop on if it's net good or bad.

Old 01-26-2024, 02:01 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,401,952 times
Idiot, corrupt Chicago politicians enacting another stupid, unpopular and corrupt law that everyone is against?

It must be a day ending in "y".

Old 01-27-2024, 10:08 AM

4,860 posts, read 6,918,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCrest182 View Post
Idiot, corrupt Chicago politicians enacting another stupid, unpopular and corrupt law that everyone is against?

It must be a day ending in "y".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJe6-afGz0Q

Old 01-27-2024, 12:37 PM

1,623 posts, read 1,705,983 times
I follow the Chicago news because I used to live there. I live in Las Vegas now, our natural gas bills doubled recently. My single story house is just over 2,000 sq ft. Average monthly cost for just natural gas to heat the house and water is now $128/month and they say it's going up again in April. That doesn't include the electric bill. It doesn't even get very cold here in winter, gas use most of the year is very low. $128/month for 12 months of the year and we only use gas for heat 4 months of the year. Give me a break.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: