Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-24-2021, 10:22 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,544 times

Advertisements

I've always sort of liked the North Beach area but i know others don't . I understand its most vulnerable to hurricanes and has been wiped out before. On the other hand its somewhat quiet and not far from downtown etc. Not many people want to live there - no nearby supermarkets - I get it.

Some of the condos there had a seedy reputation but they are certainly much more expensive than a few years ago.

The proposed iimprovements look good but there have been promises in the past.

What do y'all think about it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2021, 06:54 AM

1,212 posts, read 731,935 times
It's a mud flat with a beach. But there is a beach so why not put something on it ? And then a concrete canal area was planned.

I suggested an elevated street, 60' wide or more and 1/4 mile or longer, made out of 70/30 Monel. Then two-story buildings could develop so that the backside of the building fits the elevated street while the front-side faces the beach at ground level. And then the ground level of the buildings could be designed to recover from flooding.

Last edited by T Block; 11-25-2021 at 07:10 AM..

Old 11-28-2021, 11:33 PM

738 posts, read 764,457 times
It's been wiped out three times in a hundred years. So odds are whatever you build gets destroyed either right as or right after you've paid off the mortgage. What you have to build for it to survive you could have something twice as big or twice as nice in any other part of the city. The hotels aren't as profitable as other parts of the city because they have a great Summer and Spring break but are nearly empty the other parts of the year. Condos have benefitted from homeaway/vrbo conversions in terms of value but again they don't rent much in the Winter.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:03 PM

10 posts, read 12,484 times
If they can make it with some proper drainage, it can prosper. So far, there's been a lot of talk and just that.

Old 12-27-2021, 02:17 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
Other than the plans I've seen, I think the smart thing is for the city to wait for the completion of the new Harbor Bridge. Once that's done, along with any demolition to be done with the current structure, that would give developers a better idea of what they can really do with the area. Keep in mind that the Texas State Aquarium is looking at expanding their facility, so that could kick-start some additional things. If city planners do it the right way at the end of the day, then this can be a successful boon for the city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Corpus Christi
View detailed profiles of: