Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2024, 08:53 PM

1,075 posts, read 606,561 times

Advertisements

I'm desperately trying to get out of Little Rock by July, and Fort Worth sounds like a really good fit (on paper, who knows?). I'm an old Mississippi Coastal boy (72), artist and eBiker rider, and like to let my hair down now and then. Little Rock is not where I should be, it can feel real churchy here, although the people in my apt building are wonderful. I've met some great people here, but the city itself is an issue due to almost no public transit and cold, snowy winters. No live local music scene either.

Is Fort Worth Southern like? I've lived in Houston, San Antonio and Galveston, and none of them really felt Southern. I like folks who say yes sir and no mam, but also can speak their mind and get a little crazy now and then. Not a good fit for places that are all about money, who you know, or what you do for a living.

I'm wondering if this is a city I would feel comfortable in? Cities w/ art scenes can get pretty yuppie, and the hope is that the descriptions of Fort Worth that say it's more blue collar and laid back than the Dallas Hustle are still accurate. My online research says Fort Worth checks all the boxes, but it won't work if I can't find at least a few folks like I described.

Last edited by stephenMM; 04-13-2024 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 08:03 AM

11,884 posts, read 26,982,336 times
The scene you’re describing is more Austin than Fort Worth.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:19 AM

17,885 posts, read 13,816,805 times
There are a few of things I would say about Ft. Worth that you might consider.

The first is that it is probably not much more temperate in winter than Little Rock and it is going to be a lot windier.

Secondly, I don't know if I'd describe Ft. Worth as "blue collar" as much as it is not as corporate and is much more toned down than Dallas... While Dallas has tried to become a trendy, cosmopolitan, worldly city, Ft. Worth has hung has embraced it's "cowtown" roots to a greater degree. Still feels like a Texas town.

Finally, the area continues to grow rapidly so the area changes quite a bit within a short period of time in terms of traffic, highways, sprawl and the like. I still marvel at how much change there has been from Denton to Ft Worth along I-35 West in the last couple or three decades.

Old 04-14-2024, 08:27 AM

24,784 posts, read 11,181,307 times
You will not find what you are looking for in Ft. Worth. Busy town, little music scene, extremely limited public transport, cold winters, hot summers.

Old 04-18-2024, 04:21 PM

382 posts, read 423,896 times
Fort Worth, no. But maybe check out Granbury about 45 minutes southwest of Fort Worth.

Old 04-27-2024, 08:07 PM

1,075 posts, read 606,561 times
Thanks for the info. I've been watching youtube videos on the city so much my eyeballs have almost popped out, and unless I am missing something, Fort Worth looks very white bread, conservative. As much as I like what I see of the town itself, and considering its size, it would take a lot longer to get a handle on the lay of the land, I don't think I would fit into the culture as I have seen it. I'm more the Savannah/New Orleans type. Even my phone calls to the galleries seemed like I was talking to business people, not people who were involved in the arts.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:16 AM

24,784 posts, read 11,181,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
Thanks for the info. I've been watching youtube videos on the city so much my eyeballs have almost popped out, and unless I am missing something, Fort Worth looks very white bread, conservative. As much as I like what I see of the town itself, and considering its size, it would take a lot longer to get a handle on the lay of the land, I don't think I would fit into the culture as I have seen it. I'm more the Savannah/New Orleans type. Even my phone calls to the galleries seemed like I was talking to business people, not people who were involved in the arts.
A gallery is a business.

Old 05-01-2024, 04:25 PM

3,010 posts, read 3,558,629 times
It's a big city, but not as big as Dallas. It has much more of a western-cowboy theme than Dallas or other similarly sized cities. It is still a major city in the USA.

Old Today, 07:38 AM

31,297 posts, read 20,802,140 times
Be careful with broad brush painting. That can be misleading.

If you are talking about the city of FTW, that's one thing. But if you include the suburbs, it's an entirely different picture.

There are some very upscale FTW suburbs such as Westlake, Keller, Southlake, and Colleyville. For example, the median home value in Westlake is $2,000,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth