Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2021, 03:53 PM

560 posts, read 785,956 times

Advertisements

We have in Congress people who are borderline sociopaths posturing as philanthropic public servants. I don't think that Councilman Stokes is at all disingenuous.

The details that Kingfish disclosed will NEVER be seen in the New York Times. In fact, Lumumba is establishing himself as a noble and iconic figure in S. California. And Lumumba is positively giddy.

Well dressed Mayor Lumumba seated at his desk in his luxurious well-appointed office looks directly into the PBS SoCal camera and lies with the most seemingly heartfelt facial expressions he can muster. This guy spends a lot of time in front of a mirror practicing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2021, 12:21 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
Has the quality of our elected leaders, of all parties and persuasions, ever been this low?

I don't believe the mayor didn't know the state paid a water bill, he's been at this for awhile and hopefully has been doing deep dives into Jackson's water and sewer situation, that should be one of top his top priorities. Has promoting one's ideology overtaken the need to ensure basic municipal services are delivered?

You're right. It's never been this bad. And yes, it's BOTH political parties (assuming one believes there really ARE two parties, instead of one big UNIPARTY).

Where Jackson is concerned, there are huge problems, though, from the bottom to the top. My uncles describe escaping Mississippi (two generations of them - the first leaving a few years after the end of WWII - the last of them, leaving in disgust, after the Ole Miss Riots of the 1960s). A composite quote from them would read like, "The skies opened-up, and everything became possible. Every business we tried to start, in Mississippi, was killed by our employees or our subs. On one hand, you had the scrawny white guys, who weren't going to let anybody tell them anything - especially not somebody who didn't look exactly like them, and talk exactly like them. And then, there was the rest of the labor, who couldn't and wouldn't do what you needed them to do, and couldn't understand what you were saying, anyway, and you couldn't understand them, either, so you ended up resorting to... And then, we made it up to (newly-created industrial zones in Tennessee and the Carolinas), where people were NOT slinging attitude at you, and were willing to learn, and were willing to give you seventy minutes of work, for every hour of pay - where in Mississippi, you were lucky to get fifteen minutes worth of work in an hour - assuming their mistakes didn't drive the value of their output down into the negative numbers."

Our insular little world, in Fashionable Northeast Jackson, was peopled by those exceptional few who worked three hours for every hour they billed. That's how you kept a job, back then. Well, those people are long-gone from Jackson - some of them retiring, recently, as centimillionaires and near-billionaires, in Seattle and Austin. What's left in Jackson, are people who muddle-through, halfway, waiting for some competent person to come along and take up the slack (and correct the mistakes).

Problem is, there ARE NO competent slack-taker-uppers passing through Jackson, anymore. Siemens COULD HAVE done that, for Jackson's water department. But the City interfered, and disaster ensued. The tried-&-true formula is to stand around looking as pitiful as possible, until someone throws a bunch of money at the Poor Pitiful People, so they can hire expensive consultants/contractors from the outside world, who'll swoop-in and make everything alright, while the locals stand around taking credit and acting noble. But now, with all the interference, the outside interventions aren't working, anymore - assuming they even happen, and don't just consist of just a bunch of expensive "studies" by "consultants".

BabyChok seems not to have realized that the formula has ceased to work. Or, whoever is mentoring him, is telling him that nothing matters but PRETENDING the right things: in this case PRETENDING to "save Jackson".

"Hey! Don't sweat it! Just get some good video of you saying the right words. Just follow our talking points. We'll take it from there."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadory View Post
We have in Congress people who are borderline sociopaths posturing as philanthropic public servants. I don't think that Councilman Stokes is at all disingenuous.

The details that Kingfish disclosed will NEVER be seen in the New York Times. In fact, Lumumba is establishing himself as a noble and iconic figure in S. California. And Lumumba is positively giddy.

Well dressed Mayor Lumumba seated at his desk in his luxurious well-appointed office looks directly into the PBS SoCal camera and lies with the most seemingly heartfelt facial expressions he can muster. This guy spends a lot of time in front of a mirror practicing.
So right! BabyChok, with his cultured parochial school accent, filmed in the aristocratic library of his mauve McMansion, behind the highest wall in town (raised another 16 inches, right before he moved in), in gated Eastmont, across from Eastover.... I notice that someone told him to take off his necktie. I guess that was to make him look like he's a hands-on kinda guy, in Crisis Management Mode. And is that felted blazer of Vicuña, or just, Alpaca, or even mere Camelhair? Since I can barely make out the unusually-subtle hand-stitching on the lapels, and since neither the sleeves nor the collar are of Neapolitan construction, I'm going to guess it's from Oxxford, or somewhere on London's Savile Row.

Walls for me, but not for thee... (a central tenet of Limousine Liberalism)

Meanwhile, Kingfish has provided another illustration of what Councilman Kenneth Stokes meant, with the words, "Lyin' Lumumba". This time, it's about the AIRPORT: Jackson Jambalaya: Here We Go Again.

And now, for some comic relief: Remember the doins' at the airport, from another thread? The one where they'd all gone on a FREE TRIP TO PARIS, at taxpayers' expense... to a conference? Babette took me to task about that thread. "Why didn't you link to 'Postcard from Paris', by The Band Perry? You remember when those cute little kids lived in that cute converted barn in Madison? Well, they grew up and made it big. Just trust me. ...totally captures the spirit of the Airport Board's trip to Paris. In mameloshen, we'd say the Board made off like gonivim with that caper, so...": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cO3PQ5onovo
The privileged neighborhoods (built closer to the reservoir and the water plant - for reasons which the Mayor of Jackson insinuates are nefarious) include the Mayor's own neighborhood - the neighborhood picked by him - the location of his lofty library (with a rolling ladder for the double-height bookshelves, even), from which he's poor-mouthing to PBS and the New York Times.

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 03-29-2021 at 01:47 PM..

Old 03-30-2021, 08:26 PM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
You're right. It's never been this bad. And yes, it's BOTH political parties (assuming one believes there really ARE two parties, instead of one big UNIPARTY).
Concur, no difference in the parties, just different marketing campaigns. This is a big reason DJT was so hated by the elite of both parties, he wasn't a politician (one of many reasons, he was also one of his own worst enemies).

Quote:
Our insular little world, in Fashionable Northeast Jackson, was peopled by those exceptional few who worked three hours for every hour they billed. That's how you kept a job, back then. Well, those people are long-gone from Jackson - some of them retiring, recently, as centimillionaires and near-billionaires, in Seattle and Austin. What's left in Jackson, are people who muddle-through, halfway, waiting for some competent person to come along and take up the slack (and correct the mistakes).
Haha, the wife has always said she has to work 45 or 50 hours to bill 40.

Quote:
So right! BabyChok, with his cultured parochial school accent, filmed in the aristocratic library of his mauve McMansion, behind the highest wall in town (raised another 16 inches, right before he moved in), in gated Eastmont, across from Eastover.... I notice that someone told him to take off his necktie. I guess that was to make him look like he's a hands-on kinda guy, in Crisis Management Mode. And is that felted blazer of Vicuña, or just, Alpaca, or even mere Camelhair? Since I can barely make out the unusually-subtle hand-stitching on the lapels, and since neither the sleeves nor the collar are of Neapolitan construction, I'm going to guess it's from Oxxford, or somewhere on London's Savile Row.
He's more concerned about looking like Drake than being mayor.

Last edited by viverlibre; 03-30-2021 at 09:11 PM..

Old 02-06-2022, 11:31 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,768,621 times
Default Stokes Hat in the News, AGAIN! "...like Cavemen, with raw sewage everywhere!"

Another February, and still more, as esteemed Councilman Stokes puts it, "raw boo boo".

If it weren't for Kenneth Stokes, who would speak for Jacksonians?
https://www.wapt.com/article/sewage-...kson/38994252#

And here's even more vivid coverage, from Channel 3: https://www.wlbt.com/2022/02/07/jack...o-their-homes/

Old 02-07-2022, 08:52 AM

2,501 posts, read 4,433,622 times
Stokes has been an elected official for at least 20 years, and his district has done nothing but get worse each year. He might bamboozle a few people with targeted statements complaining about "the city." But he IS the city! He is an elected councilman tasked with running the city, yet his residents have booboo in their homes and yards.

How Stokes gets away with blaming the city/the mayor, while accepting no responsibility himself, is an amazing political feat. But what Stokes doesn't do is speak for jacksonians.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:01 AM

1,769 posts, read 1,689,638 times
Well, I'm not in Jackson anymore (I've been in Memphis since 2015), so I don't have my finger on the pulse of what's going on with Jackson's leaders anymore but the age & condition of the city's water & sewer infrastructure have been a topic for years. What was the last estimate to replace it & bring it up to modern standards - $100 million? $150 million? $200 million? Jackson will never have that kind of money with their tax base. That's why they've been at odds with the State for years, as they have been hoping they can put pressure on the State to cough up some money to the city that they can use for projects like this. The State is poor as well, though, and never has enough money either.

I'm not that familiar with Lumumba Jr but, if Kenneth Stokes looks competent compared to him, then that says something. Maybe the Frank Melton days weren't that bad, lol.

Old 02-08-2022, 12:26 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,983,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jardine8 View Post
Well, I'm not in Jackson anymore (I've been in Memphis since 2015), so I don't have my finger on the pulse of what's going on with Jackson's leaders anymore but the age & condition of the city's water & sewer infrastructure have been a topic for years. What was the last estimate to replace it & bring it up to modern standards - $100 million? $150 million? $200 million? Jackson will never have that kind of money with their tax base. That's why they've been at odds with the State for years, as they have been hoping they can put pressure on the State to cough up some money to the city that they can use for projects like this. The State is poor as well, though, and never has enough money either.

I'm not that familiar with Lumumba Jr but, if Kenneth Stokes looks competent compared to him, then that says something. Maybe the Frank Melton days weren't that bad, lol.
If only there was a hundred million dollar resource that the City could sell to the State.

If only there was a way for the City to actually use that money for the desperately needed utility improvements.

Old 02-09-2022, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mississippi Alabama Line View Post
If only there was a hundred million dollar resource that the City could sell to the State.

If only there was a way for the City to actually use that money for the desperately needed utility improvements.
Alright, I've been out of the city right almost 7 years now and I have no clue what asset that you are referring to. The two assets that immediately came to mind are the Mississippi Veteran's Memorial Stadium and the Mississippi Coliseum. However, the state already owned Veteran's Memorial Stadium and gave it to Jackson State. The other asset that came to mind was Mississippi Coliseum and the fairgrounds surrounding it. However, that is a state asset, as it is managed by the Mississippi Department of Agriculture and Commerce. So, I'm not sure what asset the city has that it could readily sell to the State for $100 million.

Old 02-09-2022, 09:58 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,891,005 times
He may be referring to the Airport. Jackson owns it and all the land around it. The state has initiated legal maneuvers to gain more control over the airport.

Jackson could "sell" at least partial control to the state for a great deal of money and re-invest that money in the city's infrastructure.

The city has done a very poor job of developing the Airport and surrounding property, millions in potential revenue for the city has been left on the table for decades.

Old 02-09-2022, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
He may be referring to the Airport. Jackson owns it and all the land around it. The state has initiated legal maneuvers to gain more control over the airport.

Jackson could "sell" at least partial control to the state for a great deal of money and re-invest that money in the city's infrastructure.

The city has done a very poor job of developing the Airport and surrounding property, millions in potential revenue for the city has been left on the table for decades.
Got it. Somehow I had forgotten about the airport and how other parties do want to get it away from Jackson. That actually does make sense for the city to sell it and use the funds to focus on infrastructure problems. For political reasons it doesn't sound like that will happen, as Jackson's political leaders have been feuding with State leaders for years and likely don't want to do anything that could be seen as helping the State, even if it also helps Jackson with it's own problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson