Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson
 [Register]
Jackson Includes Jackson, Madison, Canton, Clinton, Byram, Pearl, Brandon, Richland
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2023, 05:39 PM

3,734 posts, read 5,767,854 times

Advertisements

"There is no timeline..." https://www.wjtv.com/video/hinds-cou...nance/9070904/

One expects that in the future, there will be a month of remembrance, commemorating this latest wholly-avoidable crisis.

My husband and I got our start, in terms of net worth, rehabbing derelict apartment buildings adjacent our first college. One unit would be our home. Our children were crawling behind me, scrubbing floors, as soon as they could crawl. Then, we moved to Jackson to take our first real jobs - rehabbing more buildings, and pursuing bigger degrees. And we gentrified a building in Uptown New Orleans, when I went for my Terminal Degree. So, I know about upkeep and repairs. In the early days, DH and I actually performed those repairs - sometimes with no money for materials. DH used to stratify dirt, to make buffing and scrubbing compounds (mixed with a bit of soap from on-campus restrooms). We salvaged nails and lumber, from demolished buildings.

So, I'm wondering why the Social Justice Warriors of Hinds County, are finding it so hard to do something so simple. They're working with nearly-new buildings, which, while ugly, are engineered-to-the-hilt, and constructed from previously-foolproof materials (Fools, apparently, have evolved...).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2023, 06:11 PM

3,045 posts, read 5,240,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Our children were crawling behind me, scrubbing floors, as soon as they could crawl.
I'm picturing them wearing something similar to this:
https://www.betterthanpants.com/baby...-your-floors.#!

Old 10-16-2023, 10:55 PM

2,048 posts, read 990,078 times
LOL. Put those babes to work!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBxyaGFA688

Old 10-23-2023, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Einnseanair View Post
I'm picturing them wearing something similar to this:
https://www.betterthanpants.com/baby...-your-floors.#!
Oh, if only we'd thought of that!!!! In their own uncoordinated way, ours (then Babette's, Izzi's, and Bitsi's) were using their little hands for actual scrubbing (with baked/stratified native soil as a buffing compound: no harmful chemicals). Friction was all that was necessary, for the buffing to happen. And we'd already washed the baseboards, to remove any growth-stunting insecticide residue.

Speaking of that, decades-back - there was a gathering of my (then-newly-discovered) "rich" side of my maternal relatives (the descendants of the two generations of uncles who escaped Mississippi, got rich, and left the rest of us to rot).

Someone had died, and one of the uncles, as is their way, had picked up the phone and booked most of a motel nearest the funeral. So, we were in a suite, watching various grandbabies jump off furniture. One of the babes was wallowing in a corner, and I was cautioning everyone to not allow that, since motel corners are saturated with bugspray. "You don't want to sabotage her hormones, at such a critical age!"

The assembled adults were trying to not exchange glances saying, "Who does this little parvenu think she is?" So, I was ignored, and the kid continued wallowing in the accretion of hormone-mimicking/neurotoxic spray residue.

The kid went on to set the grade curve, in every STEM-related class. Choctaw aptitude profiles lean heavily toward applied sciences, anyway, but she was the most exceptional of the exceptional. Then, she developed a rack worthy of a Russ Meyer movie. Then, she landed a FULL scholarship in a degree program most 'A' students couldn't PAY their way into (despite her wealthy parents and grandparents, and without playing the Choctaw Card and without hiding assets, like NYC heiresses do at Tulane). ...and she was a natural leader, who'd mentored everybody around her, including the people in charge of things.

A brilliant career, a brilliant marriage to some blond giant from a titled family, and eventual leadership of our clan, surely lay in her future.

But then, we hear that she's a man trapped in a woman's body. And before I can scream, "Play the hand you're dealt, Bubbeleh! There's worse things than being a man trapped in a gorgeous woman's body! You can work with that!", it's too late. ...damage done.

I mean, I've been told I have a "male brain", which would make me a "man trapped in an ugly woman's body". If so, that anomaly has been so low on my list of things to overcome, I've never noticed. So, I'm shrugging and saying, "You work with what you've got to work with. Play on your strengths."

So, anyway, the kid's life now revolves around that identity crisis. There is no room for a brilliant future, with that perpetual identity crisis going on: the evolving identity being a full-time job. The plotzing of that kid's future, is like the Hindenburg and the Titanic getting sucked into the Great Galveston Storm, during the Crash of '29, in the middle of the Dust Bowl - with the mop-up operation handled by the Ustasi - with everything - including light and time and memory - subsequently disappearing into a black hole.

And I'm blaming the encrustations of insecticides in that motel suite, where that toddler was allowed to cruise along the baseboards, before she was old enough to talk.

Old 10-24-2023, 03:12 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
The “brilliant future” fantasy is yours, not theirs.
You seem to be grinding several axes at once. Settle on one.
Hoping those motel baseboard insecticides curb reproduction in your neck of the woods.

Old 10-24-2023, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
The “brilliant future” fantasy is yours, not theirs.
You seem to be grinding several axes at once. Settle on one.
Hoping those motel baseboard insecticides curb reproduction in your neck of the woods.
You are so sweet, to stop by and wish birth control upon my neck of the woods! Which neck-o'-the-woods that would be, I'm not sure. But thank you, anyway! I suppose that would be Iron Mountain, since the PNW house IS surrounded by forest. The Jackson Hole house is surrounded by grassland, and the Southampton house is on a sandbar amid native scrub, so neither of those have "woods", really.

On the other hand, if you look out from the Central Park South floor-thru, it's like being in the woods - maybe the one on Madagascar, with all those pointy rock things sticking up. https://www.google.com/search?client...h=552&dpr=1.71 Don't you wish you were there, right this minute? I sure do. Our children were fascinated by the notion of that place. The granddaughters, on the other hand, are more focused on saving the Aye Aye https://www.google.com/search?client...h=552&dpr=1.71 They'd certainly welcome your suggestion of involuntary birth control through insecticides, since eliminating humans is their go-to strategy for basically everything. But then, they'd ask about the "reward system" built into the implementation of the insecticides, designed to buy both complicity and silence. With the help of their impish uncles (and maybe the impish uncles of their playmates across the Pacific - who sometimes occupy the trophy units above ours), they're perfecting a mostly-texted game called 'Murder Hospital'. Currently, they're getting the most fun out of "compelling world bodies" (to implement policies).

The view out across the Hudson, then past Weehawken, in-particular, is positively arboreal. I point from windows on that side of the apartment, when explaining to the granddaughters where Mississippi is. But they're more interested in the fact that DH and I actually WENT to Weehawken, a few years back. (Jerry Lewis movies have given them unsustainable expectations regarding Weehawken. They'll be as dejected to learn that there is no 'Jolly Fats Weehawken Arlines', as they were to discover that there is no Belarus Airways, like in World War Z - their favorite movie, I think, because Brad Pitt looked like they did, at the time) I told them about the screening room a couple fitted into a Victorian they restored, there. But I sure can't tell the girls that the screening was of an S&M "art film", about some California Truckers at the Buttonwillow Rest Stop, or about the evil designs the couple had upon my husband. I can only say to the girls about the affair, "There was a lapse in decorum, and so we left."

You seem to keep up on Mississippi, so perhaps you know about the bodybuilder there, who got tied-up by a Doctor-&-Nurse/Husband-&-Wife swinger duo, and involuntarily injected with a "performance" drug which left him permanently unable to "perform", thereafter. All the law archives have the case, I think. We'd just heard about that, and so, when we saw those strange leather contraptions in the movie, we knew to get back to our own side of the Hudson.

Oh, dear... I don't seem to be adhering to your "settle on one" dictum. By the way, have you seen 'The Comfort of Strangers'?

And I'm puzzled by your words: "The “brilliant future” fantasy is yours, not theirs." By "theirs", did you mean "of the kid who transitioned genders", or "of that corner of your family"? To rephrase, are you referring to one person, or to several persons? I'm suffering from Pronoun Fatigue, these days.

In any event, my cousin's kid's brilliant future was UNDERWAY, when it plotzed. "Larry" was already at college, participating in a degree program which routinely leads to seven-figure salaries. And gatherings of that side of my family, have been called "Night of a Thousand Christine Baranskis". The earsplitting cackles of my uncles' tall blonde Episcopalian wives, are difficult to survive. Three of them, together in one room, sound like a THOUSAND. My Decorator theorizes that such people were why Sir John Soane pioneered sound-dampening acoustics (the anti-sound-creep pendentive spandrels beneath the Bank of England's dome, being the most famous example)

Subsequent generations - including my own brood - also marry big-&-blond: because they CAN. So, it's more a matter of expectations and trajectory, than of fantasy. But you've actually caused me to wonder to what degree our posterity are living lives we've projected onto them. Did my children become Covid Profiteers, in an exaggeration of my own atavistic rapacity? Are my children, and my cousins'/uncles' children, limited in their attractions, to types their forebears fantasize about (DH and I don't see each other - during - and never have. We've always thought about plump blonds - looking right past each other. He'd be thinking about Pamela Anderson, while I'd be thinking about Brock Lesnar or Kerry Von Erich)

Currently, the granddaughters are PLAYING at participation in sinister worldshaping. And it's clearly because of what their elders are actually DOING. So, backing-up a couple of decades, I can see the point you've inadvertently made, and how it applies to my own children, and to my cousins' children. Thank you for dropping-by and and setting me straight!
________

Oh, and I almost forgot: I see that you're "between three Great Lakes". A glance at the map, shows Sault Ste. Marie, in that position. I remember that, from gradeschool Geography. We were taught that your region was "where the nice people are". About Canadians, in-particular, we were told, "They're just like us: only nice - and CLEAN!"

So, in later Geography classes, I was distressed to learn about all the pollution up there, and how it was making people ill in various ways, like mental illnesses. I certainly hope you haven't been affected. Our children were thrilled to read about how the invasive Zebra Mussel was attaching itself to everything, and filtering-out the pollution.

But then, our kids are optimists. First time we went to Seattle, we were in traffic, and the kids, looking out at the roadside, were disapprovingly noting that "In Washington, they don't mulch with cigarette butts, like Mississippi does!" Their consensus had been that there was an Ecological Cigarette-Butt-Mulching initiative in our home state: turning toxic waste into nourishing roadside mulch (reality, of course, was that, at the time, Washingtonians were simply less nasty than were Mississippians)

Last edited by GrandviewGloria; 10-24-2023 at 07:56 PM..

Old 10-27-2023, 10:16 AM

4,502 posts, read 4,607,884 times
GrandviewGloria, you continue to be the most interesting and entertaining poster on the CD Forum. I bet if you wrote a book of short stories, it would be a best seller. And I bet some of those stories would be turned into dark comedy and film noir genre of movies by the likes of the Coen Brothers and David Lynch. I'm surprised you haven't been discovered.

Old 10-27-2023, 05:01 PM

1,351 posts, read 2,128,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
GrandviewGloria, you continue to be the most interesting and entertaining poster on the CD Forum. I bet if you wrote a book of short stories, it would be a best seller. And I bet some of those stories would be turned into dark comedy and film noir genre of movies by the likes of the Coen Brothers and David Lynch. I'm surprised you haven't been discovered.
I wholeheartedly agree.

She's the only reason I visit the Mississippi forums.

Old 01-21-2024, 07:15 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,335,789 times
Me too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Mississippi > Jackson