Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2022, 11:03 PM

297 posts, read 244,379 times

Advertisements

Why do people hate topeka so much?
Looking at cheaper places to live, one of the cities is Topeka
KS The thing that makes me hesitant about Topeka is that it
seems most people hate the place.

The population has actually declined over the years. Reports from most everyone is that there is little to no job growth,born out by the various statistics.

The City took the extraordinary measure of bribing
people with money awards to move there (it was mostly a fake publicity stunt though)

Even though the rents are cheap,but not as cheap as other cities it's size, it has a very high vacancy rate. The stress levels as measured by bestplaces website are high and the negative/all review ratio on various city review sites are quite high, much worse than for bigger cities. Videos on youtube like "N
reasons why you should NOT move to Topeka." And most all reviewers say they head for Lawrence or K.C. just to get away from the place. And many commute to Lawrence to work.Beyond that,the contacts I have had on FB with Topekeans show them to be insular and not very friendly. Reviewers complain about the high drug use, meth crime, etc.

So I guess these are SOME of the reasons, but OTHER cities have the same characteristics but yet
people still move there and they don't as often post scathing reviews of the place.

Last edited by Steveareeno5; 11-30-2022 at 11:04 PM.. Reason: ADDITION
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2022, 10:51 AM

744 posts, read 774,507 times
It has been quite some time since I lived in KS but when I was there it was generally perceived as the worst of all worlds. Too big to be a small town. Too small to have most big city amenities which were drawn to KC and/or Lawrence anyway. The downtown is boring. Much of it is suburban in nature but doesn't have suburban benefits like good schools, services, or low crime rates. The high crime rate was the most consistent critique I remember hearing.

Old 12-02-2022, 10:55 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Topeka is one of the worst capitol cities of its size anywhere in the country. They just have bad city and county management that can't really capitalize (pun intended) on the location when the far more prosperous and economically dynamic areas of the KC metro area and Lawrence are right down the road. The crime rates and the very spotty nature of the quality of residential areas from one block to another in the city limits of Topeka is a big issue.

Old 12-03-2022, 06:55 AM

374 posts, read 562,133 times
Topeka => 90 mph in the wrong direction:

KS Senator, DUI, 90 mph in the wrong direction,

March 16, 2021, arrest after his vehicle was observed traveling the wrong direction on Interstate 70 near downtown Topeka.

Expected to resign in January 2023 . . . .

When you consider all the morally superiors in Kansas are elected from across the state tp serve in Topeka, it's not surprising there's some hate generated for their playground.

Old 12-04-2022, 06:10 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,043,113 times
Topeka is just one of those cities that shuts down at 5:00, or so it seems. It's stagnant, and has been for decades. Even the government office buildings are falling apart. I knew people who commuted all the way from places like Olathe and Lenexa.

Old 12-04-2022, 08:16 PM

haha thanks for all the replies, kinda confirms my impressions. I wonder if it's genetic or something in the water, haha

I tried to reach out in the FB topeka groups but got zilch back. Like they're all the walking dead.

Almost forgot. two of the other cities similar in size actually have WORSE crime rates than Topeka, but unlike Topeka, people are still moving to them.

Last edited by Steveareeno5; 12-04-2022 at 08:20 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 12-05-2022, 04:52 AM

1,146 posts, read 1,400,285 times
If you just really need a cheap place to live, it's hard to do better than Topeka. My dad lived there for a few years after he got divorced and was down on his luck. I think that's probably a common story. People live there because they are "down on their luck" and can't afford to live any place better. It's rife with low-income people who have drug problems or gambling problems or mental health issues or who are stuck on the welfare marry-go-round with too many kids.

In general, it's a depressing place filled with depressing people.

Old 12-08-2022, 12:36 AM

Default what's the washburn u area like?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrabel View Post
If you just really need a cheap place to live, it's hard to do better than Topeka. My dad lived there for a few years after he got divorced and was down on his luck. I think that's probably a common story. People live there because they are "down on their luck" and can't afford to live any place better. It's rife with low-income people who have drug problems or gambling problems or mental health issues or who are stuck on the welfare marry-go-round with too many kids.

In general, it's a depressing place filled with depressing people.
Any better? I read a lot of complaints about meth users in Topeka. The City Gov. there seems rather do nothing lame. They have a Hispanic mayor there I believe. He does not answer his emails.

Old 12-09-2022, 05:09 PM

17,263 posts, read 21,998,333 times
its nowhereville Kansas!

Old 12-10-2022, 07:15 AM

12,953 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Because its not Lawrence. There are two or three detention facilities there in addition to the county jail. I have visited two of them years ago and used to deal with young men from the youth lock up. I don't remember them being all that violent. I would suspect in a city of that size there would be a good portion of former inmates on the streets.
The old saying was that Topeka was the middle ground between Kansas City and Lawrence and a lot of no good came out of there. I had a young nephew murdered there less than a year ago. He didn't live there , I guess he was off his turf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kansas