Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2011, 08:34 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,165,026 times

Advertisements

Our little neighborhood on the river is getting over-run by raccoons. They are cute enough, but get into everything and make a mess. I suppose it's time to call animal control to see if they can catch them and move them to a more rural area down stream. I came home last night to 6 of them right in front of where I park my car. Two were hanging from the tree. Wasn't sure whether to get out of my car or not..... They didn't even move when I flashed the lights and honked the horn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 08:49 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,995,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
Our little neighborhood on the river is getting over-run by raccoons. They are cute enough, but get into everything and make a mess. I suppose it's time to call animal control to see if they can catch them and move them to a more rural area down stream. I came home last night to 6 of them right in front of where I park my car. Two were hanging from the tree. Wasn't sure whether to get out of my car or not..... They didn't even move when I flashed the lights and honked the horn.
There is no scaring them here. I have gone almost nose to nose with a few trying to chase them away. Only thing I have found that works is a BB gun about and inch to the left. Would never kill one but they are just so stinking destructive!

Just saw my owl again.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,671,343 times
I have sat at my kitchen table and watched Robins eat my dog's Kibbles & Bits while Buster lay on the porch watching them. Any other type of bird that tried to eat there was promptly chased off by Buster.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:11 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,333,368 times
Saw a dolphin swimming near the wave line today. That was cool.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:17 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,272,571 times
The other day I saw my first Roseate Spoonbill. This morning, I decided to sit awhile on the beach and I saw a huge crab. It startled me at first. I'm always afraid of getting pinched when my head is turned.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 AM

34,254 posts, read 20,531,444 times
We have two apple trees and a pear tree, (sorry no partridges ) and they bring out the coon families. But we also have a german shepherd who does not take kindly to coons. She will kill any that try and rob us.

The real pest is the armadillo that comes and digs little holes all over. I use a stick to play armadillo hockey. I didn't know they could run so fast.

And possums are plentiful here in Oklahoma. The german shepherd does not like them either. Even our inside dogs go postal on possums.

Skunks come and go, I am not sure why they stay away, I think it's because of the german shepherd. She has had a few run ins with them, and they sort of leave each other alone.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:02 PM

19,391 posts, read 15,224,747 times
Little teeny hummingbirds in and around the tree outside my window. Sometimes they'll zoom over to this big tree across the street and perch right at the very top of it. I can barely see them. It's almost like the star on top of a Christmas tree, a very tiny star...

And even though we're in the city, we have hawks circling overhead sometimes. I love the sound of their call.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:09 PM

27,074 posts, read 11,844,907 times
Ahhhh....they are so cute-a friend once rehabilitated a baby....he used to hold him up with only the little guy's tail wrapped around his finger!

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Recently, 2 baby possums on the back porch.

Old 06-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Nice group! The only hummingbird in my area this the ruby-throated but what a beauty...fiesty too!

gbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tet tea View Post
A skunk passed through last night. Didn't see him, but could sure smell him since our bedroom windows were wide open! Phew...

This morning at the feeders we've had blue birds, a male oreole, robins, swallows, finches, sparrows, chickadees, and a nuthatch. Yesterday I saw a ruby throated hummingbird zooming around. I'm slowly coaxing them closer to the deck...

Old 06-07-2011, 12:22 PM

LOL...wonder indeed just how many pounds of seeds they have taken from my place......now I feed them cracked corn and they are pretty happy with it....more seeds left for the winged ones...

gbh

[/quote]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature