Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2023, 03:39 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
You'd have to take religion and science and technology out of the equation for humans to be as much a part of nature as everything else is.

But I agree with you that the human species is rapidly running its course towards the exit door labelled EXTINCTION. What it makes me think of is that humans have been slowly cooking in a pot at a low gentle simmer for a million +/- years and all of a sudden in the past 200 years somebody turned up the heat and the pot has started boiling over and is soon to boil dry.

With regard to the topic about this virus I was looking at the lists of animals that have been effected by it so far and noted that none of them are herbivores. They're all carnivorous with some being omnivores, but carnivorism seeming to be the greatest common factor. Most birds have carnivorous natures, as do all fish, so I'm wondering if some kinds of fish are succumbing to the virus too. I'm also wondering if all of us humans who eat meat, eggs and dairy products are going to become susceptible to the same virus.

We might be getting a sneak peek of what really happened to the animals of the dinosaurs' era when they got wiped out. Except this time it will be us humans who are the dinosaurs and all the herbivores that remain alive will become the newest superior species.

Hmmmm.

No, not at all. Do you not consider beavers part of the natural environment? They alter their living environment dramatically to suit their needs sometimes to the detriment of other animals and species. Chimps conduct what can be described as tribal wars against other chimps yet they are part of the natural environment. Man does these things to an extreme but that's how he evolved to be. No one can argue man hasn't evolved from nature, unless of course you think he originated from another planet, or placed on this earth as Adam and Eve. People are part of nature and some would view it rather arrogant to think man is somehow beyond what nature can create.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2023, 03:50 PM

1,022 posts, read 739,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
We can't be competing with birds for bugs (for dinner), now can we? It's bad enough they plan on putting wind turbines along the Atlantic coast and elsewhere, and we're already destroying their habitat. Seems like avian flu will eliminate some competition for food. I wonder if a decade or two after I'm dead, people will have to go to a "bird zoo" to see birds.
It will be next to the tree museum where you have to pay a dollar and a half just to see em

Old 02-27-2023, 01:20 PM

11,044 posts, read 6,875,918 times
Thanks uggabugga for posting about this, and others too.

The more I study animals and aquatic life, the more I think they are far more intelligent than we know. I think we've improved, though.

Beavers are responsible in part, like other life forms, in bringing Yellowstone back from disaster. And that's because wolves came back. Most of us here have probably seen or heard of the documentaries on this issue.

I never knew what a nutria was until I took a walk south of my mother's at the time retirement center in Oregon. I was standing on the bridge and saw this creature sitting on the banks of the river. It wasn't until I made a noise of some sort (I was far away) that he/she slid silently and slowly back into the water. Loved it.

It's so sad that these horrible things are happening to wildlife. I had trepidation even opening this thread. Seems like every day there is more bad news.

OT: On a lighter note, every time I see your username uggabugga, I think of The Oogum Boogum song.

Old 05-04-2023, 07:37 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,669,164 times
Default Dead Birds Falling Out of the Sky

Disturbing article from David Quammen.

The symptoms he describes make me think of mad-cow disease.

Why Dead Birds Are Falling From the Sky
In fact, the next pandemic has already begun. To use a more accurate term, a panzootic — a widespread outbreak of disease among nonhuman animals — is underway.
To appreciate this catastrophe, we’ve got to move the focus off humans, at least for a bit. H5N1 is devastating the world’s birds. Eagles are dropping dead, as are great horned owls and peregrine falcons and pelicans. Twenty California condors recently died of what’s suspected to be avian flu — 10 are confirmed so far. It’s the worst thing that has happened to wild birds since the pesticide DDT.
Adult birds were losing muscle control, shaking their heads, showing signs of weakness or paralysis, keeling over, tumbling from their high nests. Bald eagles are big birds, weighing up to 14 pounds, so when they fall, they land hard. “As a pathologist, I was looking at these birds carefully, and they were clearly dying of a very severe, acute, viral infection,” Dr. Nemeth said. Some were probably dead by the time they hit the ground...
https://dnyuz.com/2023/04/23/why-dea...-from-the-sky/

Old 05-05-2023, 03:49 PM

493 posts, read 325,623 times
uggabugga had an earlier thread about this.

Mod note: The threads have been merged.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 05-11-2023 at 07:52 PM..

Old 05-05-2023, 04:13 PM

745 posts, read 1,324,739 times
They're dying from the plethora of toxic metals and chemicals being dumped by the military from their tanker jets.

Old 05-06-2023, 01:29 AM

7,256 posts, read 5,131,727 times
...or maybe it's the same thng Livy described as happening in Rome 2600 years ago.

Titus Livius (Livy), The History of Rome, Book 1, chapter pr, section 1

Old 05-06-2023, 02:11 AM

61,699 posts, read 87,101,195 times
There could be many reasons incl. predators (the flock was “flushed” from above by a predatory bird - peregrine or hawk, swooping down to make a catch) and weather (loon fallout, twisters).

Old 05-07-2023, 12:53 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,033,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlvs2run View Post
They're dying from the plethora of toxic metals and chemicals being dumped by the military from their tanker jets.
It's the avian bird flu doing it.

Military chemical dumps could be a contributor in a small way in some places, but not everywhere.

The avian bird flu has effected all countries on all continents and all oceans around the whole world in the past year and a half.

It is also infecting and killing mammals now too, including marine mammals like whales, dolphins and seals.

Humans are not immune to it either.

Old 05-11-2023, 06:04 PM

48,521 posts, read 34,843,322 times
It's the same strain that all the chickens we killed had. Even worse, it's been killing mammals in Oregon, Wyoming and few other states.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Nature