Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 01:16 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times

Advertisements

I’m 38. Married & I don’t have a child nor do I want one.

Pain is part of it but also I want to work & travel & not have to worry about a child. Maybe it’s selfish IDC. I have a great life & we do whatever we want whenever we want.

Granted I have a teenage stepson but he is 17, he can take care of himself. I have zero interest in giving up my life the way it is now.

I’m happy. I don’t need a child to be happy, be a good person or have worth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2020, 01:51 PM

9,952 posts, read 6,670,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LO28SWM View Post
She needs therapy. You could consider surrogacy, its a good choice for people who cant or wont get pregnant. And you need to decide if giving up a child is worth your marriage. You cant and shouldnt try and force her to have a baby but only you can decide if not having a child is worth your marriage. You want to have children. If you choose not to because she doesnt want to, make sure you dont hold it against her later in life.
Surrogacy is not that easy. Many states will not allow surrogacy contracts unless there is a medical need for one. Simply not wanting to have children is not usually an acceptable reason. It is usually more that the woman cannot get pregnant or that her or the baby’s health will be at risk. I know that is the case in my home state and in my current state.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:16 PM

1,948 posts, read 1,515,483 times
Sounds as if your wife needs a good psychologist. If I said she needs a good psychiatrist, she might freak out.

She sounds as if she may be a little eccentric. I would think she may have other phobias that may affect your relationship. To not take care of one's self, including medically, is just not normal. And that requires taking shots and not going off the deep end mentally.

Old 04-30-2020, 02:22 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,246,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivalday View Post
If she had trauma for an entire day over a tiny shot, then she has way bigger problems than being afraid of getting pregnant. She needs therapy.
This.

Cried all day over a shot??????

Me thinks OP isnt "getting" a kid. Ever.

Old 05-01-2020, 01:32 AM

197 posts, read 235,747 times
I appreciate everyone's input, good and bad. It's given me some more perspectives to consider.

Old 05-01-2020, 04:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,526,927 times
I have known several women who said the main reason they never had children was their fear of pain and the general effects of pregnancy on the body. I don’t think it is that uncommon. As my sister-in-law has always said, “those people who tell you that you forget the pain of childbirth the minute you hold your babies are*#@& liars. You never forget that pain!” I don’t know if that is true but c’mon, if you have a strong aversion to physical discomfort, childbirth is no walk in the park.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:00 AM

1,860 posts, read 1,245,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Surrogacy is not that easy. Many states will not allow surrogacy contracts unless there is a medical need for one. Simply not wanting to have children is not usually an acceptable reason. It is usually more that the woman cannot get pregnant or that her or the baby’s health will be at risk. I know that is the case in my home state and in my current state.
OP seems to be from Illinois which has very user friendly surrogacy laws.

Old 05-01-2020, 05:06 AM

355 posts, read 225,760 times
I wouldn't get this woman pregnant. She's not stable.

Old 05-01-2020, 10:37 AM

2 posts, read 1,600 times
I would recommend therapy, and really evaluate if pregnancy and having a child is something in your future because as others above have mentioned that if she freaked out over one injection for a whole day there is a lot of testing done during pregnancy especially at her age.

I also agree maybe talking about getting a surrogate, where the child would be 100% yours. I wish you the best of luck

Old 05-01-2020, 02:32 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,895,030 times
I can understand why some women might be reluctant to have children because of the physical pain aspect.

It sounds like she has some other concerns going on and agree with having her talk with someone she is comfortable with.

To be honest, it does hurt but not as bad as passing a kidney stone. I was scared of having a kid but mostly scared I would screw up the kid, not be a good parent, or I would not like my life after having the kid.

Having a child is a big deal and it's not a simple decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting > Pregnancy