Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2012, 12:00 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
I close all the toilet lids before leaving the house. I came home and one of the seats was up.
Maybe they were checking to see if the bowl was clean or cracked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2012, 12:07 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim in FL View Post
^^^ This why I was always present when my house was being showed. Agent didn't like it, but since I'm the one who hired her and the one who can fire her, she had to keep her mouth shut.
You being present at all the showings is not going to help sell your house. In fact, it has the opposite effect. If a client ever spoke to me or treated me in the fashion you're indicating in your post, I'd be the one firing you. Not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Well okay then. Seems everyone thinks differently about things. If I was home and a viewer asked to use the bathroom, I would say yes. I wouldn't like it but I would certainly would not say no. My view is we are all adults here and the concept of using your own bathroom before you leave your house shouldn't be strange or new. Whether you have a "condition" or not.

And before anyone says it, yes family and friends are more than welcome to use my bathroom. The difference is they are invited into my house as social guests. People who come to view my house are not guest. They are here on a business matter which should take well less than an hour.
Sometimes people have to go. A lot of times, I'm out with a client for hours and hours. They're not coming right from their house to see yours. Pregnant women it seems have to go every 5 minutes. Personally, I wouldn't care if someone used my bathroom as long as when they were done I couldn't tell they were there (i.e. no pee on the seat, no floaters in the bowl, no fowl odors).

Old 06-30-2012, 12:12 PM

710 posts, read 1,961,973 times
Hmmmm. When we were looking at homes the last time, there were quite honestly some homes where I would have chosen the gas station rather than using the less-than-company-clean facilities. We were just talking about one of the homes last week, as a matter of fact. It's known as "the floater house with the disco ball in the basement." I think you can figure out what we found there. Granted, it could have been another home buyer who left the little treasure, but it was really disgusting.

I believe I did use the bathroom in one of the homes--I think it was a vacant but spotless house. I really did not see any problem with it. I also didn't have a problem with people using my bathroom in the last house we sold--particularly after we left. We had moved out of the area and we left it minimally furnished/staged. I had a house cleaning neighbor come by every week or so to make sure none of the prospective buyers left a mess and dust/give the toilets a quick bit of attention. She never mentioned any problems to me, so I am assuming she never found any.

I would be slightly more hesitant to use the restroom of a home that was currently lived in, but if you are on the go for 10 hours looking at houses and trying to be accommodating of the schedule your agent set up with a multitude of sellers, it's hard to avoid it. I am pretty sure the world would have to come close to ending before I ever spent any, shall we say, lengthy time in a home seller's bathroom while my agent and husband were about. Not going to happen.

Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,114,585 times
Here's the thing - I take a diuretic. And I'm a senior. When I gotta go, I will go - NOW. Sorry, it's your floor or your pot. Your choice.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:29 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
It's not appropriate to use the bathroom of the house you're looking at. I had my own realtor constantly using my bathroom when she would come to do one more thing. Annoy us mostly was her job. She wouldn't flush at times and I had that job, too. What a *&^*. I had a looker ask to use my bathroom when my house was on the market. I didn't like it at all. But, they do other things, too. Step on your beige rugs w/ their shoes and never ask if you care. Move your furniture. I had 2 women in one house I was selling sit at my kitchen table and demand my CCR's--Homeowner rule book. Open your blinds and never put them back. Other things, too. It's the sellers house and you do what they want you to do. You're a guest in their house. It's not your home. It may be convenient to use the seller's bathroom, but probably most don't want you to.

Last edited by Nanny Goat; 06-30-2012 at 02:41 PM..

Old 06-30-2012, 02:35 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,661,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Here's the thing - I take a diuretic. And I'm a senior. When I gotta go, I will go - NOW. Sorry, it's your floor or your pot. Your choice.
Or, adult diapers if you have no bladder control.They make them in all sizes.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:38 PM

8,545 posts, read 14,033,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstate Nancy View Post
It's not appropriate to use the bathroom of the house you're looking at. I had my own realtor constantly using my bathroom when she would come to do one more thing. Annoy us mostly was her job. She wouldn't flush at times and I had that job, too. What a *&^*. I had a looker ask to use my bathroom when my house was on the market. I didn't like it at all. But, they do other things, too. Step on your beige rugs w/ their shoes and never ask if you care. Open your blinds and never put them back. Other things, too. It's the sellers house and you do what they want you to do. You're a guest in their house. It's not your home. It may be convenient to use the seller's bathroom, but probably most don't want you to.
Here's what most people don't realize when they put their house on the market . . . from the moment you do that it's no longer your house. You've just invited the whole entire world into your house and even if their agent (or your agent) is present and saying "please don't do that" some things are going to happen that you probably won't be 100% happy with. The good news: if you hire someone who knows what they're doing to market your house this condition won't last long and you'll be off to your shiney new house before you know (which other people had looked at previous to you and likely used the bathroom BTW).

Old 06-30-2012, 02:39 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,887 times
Is your house sold? Those that can pee can buy.

Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
Quote:
She wouldn't flush at times and I had that job, too. What a *&^*.
This specific issue was brought up by everyone else who wanted to support the original complaint too...
Do people really not appreciate the distinction of using a bathroom and being foul about it?

Old 06-30-2012, 04:19 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,295,718 times
Quote:
It's not appropriate to use the bathroom of the house you're looking at. I had my own realtor constantly using my bathroom when she would come to do one more thing. Annoy us mostly was her job. She wouldn't flush at times and I had that job, too. What a *&^*. I had a looker ask to use my bathroom when my house was on the market. I didn't like it at all. But, they do other things, too. Step on your beige rugs w/ their shoes and never ask if you care. Move your furniture. I had 2 women in one house I was selling sit at my kitchen table and demand my CCR's--Homeowner rule book. Open your blinds and never put them back. Other things, too. It's the sellers house and you do what they want you to do. You're a guest in their house. It's not your home. It may be convenient to use the seller's bathroom, but probably most don't want you to.
I might not only use the bathroom, but if I like the house I might also open the cabinets, try the kitchen drawers, and open and close blinds and windows. I'll check under an area rug to see the condition of the floor. I certainly will open closets, but don't worry - I won't peek under the bed.

If I'm tired of standing I might sit at your table to read your disclosure statement.

If someone puts out shoe covers, I'll use them. If someone has a sign asking that I remove my shoes (or if they are muddy), I'll do that. Otherwise, how's a house-hunter to know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate