Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 03:34 AM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times

Advertisements

Was enthused about a 3 unit house in a small village until I found out two things.
The listing states "Shared septic System"
There is no municipal sewage system and , worse, seller owns this plus the 6 unit next door, which is also for sale.
Both houses early 1900s and sold together and I assume (yes, I know) the system was grandfathered in.
So far, I've not received answers to where the tank is located or the size ...same question as to the leach field.
Even IF they were both adequately sized, with two different property owners...well. that still leads to more questions.
I just can't think of any answers that would make this a "comfortable" purchase.
Can you? Am I being too pessimistic?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2024, 04:42 AM

43,324 posts, read 77,177,570 times
Location.
But also, complete maintenance reports beyond "We had it pumped a couple of years ago."

AND, legal documents indicating who is responsible for the maintenance.

"Pessimistic?" I am, too.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:15 AM

30,554 posts, read 16,247,641 times
That's not something I'd want to get involved with. A shared septic for 9 units? nope. Just because it's on paper doesn't make it enforceable.

Old 04-23-2024, 10:30 AM

6,487 posts, read 10,366,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
That's not something I'd want to get involved with. A shared septic for 9 units? nope. Just because it's on paper doesn't make it enforceable.
I agree that I wouldn't get involved with such a property either.

I would imagine there is "toilet paper" in there. Yes, that was just meant as a joke, play on words.

Old 04-23-2024, 11:24 AM

24,612 posts, read 10,936,326 times
Trouble on the horizon!

Old 04-23-2024, 12:08 PM

7,164 posts, read 4,562,630 times
When we were young we bought a house with a shared driveway entrance. The house next door sold to a crazy person who decided to block our entrance when he got drunk. The police couldn’t stop him as we both owned it.

We finally got down the trees on the other side of our house and drove over our sidewalk and down the curb to get out if he did that. We were young and didn’t have the money to hire a lawyer. I absolutely wouldn’t buy a property with anything shared.

Old 04-23-2024, 12:34 PM

23,175 posts, read 26,218,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
When we were young we bought a house with a shared driveway entrance. The house next door sold to a crazy person who decided to block our entrance when he got drunk. The police couldn’t stop him as we both owned it.

We finally got down the trees on the other side of our house and drove over our sidewalk and down the curb to get out if he did that. We were young and didn’t have the money to hire a lawyer. I absolutely wouldn’t buy a property with anything shared.
Oh, no stories like that, please.
Have totally dropped the shared septic house but am going ahead with a shared driveway one in a different community.
Funny thing is, about 30 years ago, owned that house will be sharing it with. Never a problem, hope there isn't now...hasn't been for current owner.

Old 04-23-2024, 03:03 PM

9,880 posts, read 14,142,348 times
Have both a shared driveway and a shared lateral sewer line to the main. The sewer situation has cost me lots of money. The shared driveway hasn't cost me extra money (yet), but a lot of aggravation. I've liver here for 15 years and love my house, but probably wouldn't choose it again, knowing what I know now.

Old 04-25-2024, 08:08 AM

8,070 posts, read 12,797,084 times
There are two new houses being built on my road. They are owned by a couple of sisters and their families. I noticed that they only did one septic system although they did drill two wells. They also share a driveway AND one house is facing the road while the other faces that house. I do not believe they considered resale when they started the build. They are also less than 50 ft from each other.

This is a rural area and I don't think many buyers would consider the layout/situation ideal if they ever had to sell.

Old 04-27-2024, 03:11 PM

106 posts, read 132,970 times
NEVER EVER share a driveway, septic, well, etc. with anyone. We bought a house in a rural area with a shared well. A week after we moved in the landowner where the well was situated shut off our water. Said there was a problem with the well, but then went on and on about how he really thought it would be better if we would drill our own well. I could have sued, but it was one of the Hillbilly Counties where we were the 'newbie city slickers' and we realized it wasn't worth the hassle. We had our own well drilled.

Friends bought a home in small town with shared driveway; as soon as they moved in, the sharing neighbor started leaving their car at bottom of drive (my friends lived at top of drive).

When a property with a shared utility or access is sold, the new owner is going to get the brunt of years old animosity over the shared item and the old neighbor is going to take it as an opportunity to get out of the arrangement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate