Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:38 AM

16,144 posts, read 7,123,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
I never said Hindus outside of majority-Hindu countries were privileged.

And antisemitism has absolutely intensified in the past six-plus months (some, but hardly all of which, is thinly-veiled anti-Zionism). Nor am I trying to suggest that anti-Zionism is inherently antisemitic. But I don’t need you to goysplain antisemitism to me any more than you need me to try to downplay or rationalize or cast doubt upon the anti-Indian hate crime you describe here.
True.
You said " In addition, the privilege enjoyed by Hindus in India does not exist for Jews (like me) who live outside of Israel and Israeli-occupied areas of the West Bank and Golan Heights." and "As a diaspora Jew, I am on the defensive, and antisemitism has intensified from all directions and vantage points considerably in the past six-plus months.

It seemed to me you are comparing apples and bananas when comparing a Jew in the diaspora to a Hindu in Hindu majority India. A true comparison would be a Jew in the diaspora and and Hindu in the diaspora. Or a Jew in the Jewish State of Israel and a Hindu in India, a Secular Democracy per its constitution.
Since you describe yourself as a Diaspora Jew, Hindus in the diaspora are not free of prejudice or police attacks just for being brown, or engaged in "suspicious activity" as an old man deserving of beatings resulting in paralysis. At least you don't have that particular problem as White.
If I am mistaken please explain.
And also please explain what is anti-Zionism and what is thinly-veiled anti-Zionism. I am sure you are more sensitive to the difference than what I can perceive. Those who truly hate Jews,( and they are out there as truly as those who hate Muslims, Hindus, Black and Brown people, women) I think would not bother to express it as thinly veiled anti-Zionism. Zionism has its problems, just as India has its problem with Hindu Nationalism, although they are not the same.
I believe we are still discussing Religion, Spirituality, and Children. How do we explain to them the intersection of religion with nationalism, and what is taught in religious schools? Is it education or indoctrination?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 08:18 AM

22,658 posts, read 19,351,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
True.
You said " In addition, the privilege enjoyed by Hindus in India does not exist for Jews (like me) who live outside of Israel and Israeli-occupied areas of the West Bank and Golan Heights[/b]." and "As a diaspora Jew, I am on the defensive, and antisemitism has intensified from all directions and vantage points considerably in the past six-plus months.

It seemed to me you are comparing apples and bananas when comparing a Jew in the diaspora to a Hindu in Hindu majority India. A true comparison would be a Jew in the diaspora and and Hindu in the diaspora. Or a Jew in the Jewish State of Israel and a Hindu in India, a Secular Democracy per its constitution.
Since you describe yourself as a Diaspora Jew, Hindus in the diaspora are not free of prejudice or police attacks just for being brown, or engaged in "suspicious activity" as an old man deserving of beatings resulting in paralysis. At least you don't have that particular problem as White. If I am mistaken please explain.
And also please explain what is anti-Zionism and what is thinly-veiled anti-Zionism. I am sure you are more sensitive to the difference than what I can perceive. Those who truly hate Jews,( and they are out there as truly as those who hate Muslims, Hindus, Black and Brown people, women) I think would not bother to express it as thinly veiled anti-Zionism. Zionism has its problems, just as India has its problem with Hindu Nationalism, although they are not the same. I believe we are still discussing Religion, Spirituality, and Children. How do we explain to them the intersection of religion with nationalism, and what is taught in religious schools? Is it education or indoctrination?
my observation is that you are acutely aware of violence prejudice and hate crimes against "brown people and black people" but yet constantly downplay, diminish, and dismiss antisemitic violence hate crimes and prejudice against Jews. your posts variously make it sound like that does not exist, is overblown victimhood, is "really something else," is deserved "they brought it on themselves" they are to blame, "imagined insults"

it is a double standard that is consistently and repeatedly displayed in your posts.
while at the same time self-admitting that you know very little about Jews and Judaism. that assessment i agree with.

and yet again you are chomping at the bit spoiling for a fight trying to discuss "politics and other controversies", current events, government, race, and nationalism in the forum for religion and spirituality.

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 09:34 AM..

Old Yesterday, 08:44 AM

55% of religious hate crimes are against Jews. Jews are 0.2% of the population. 1,122 incidents against Jews (in 2022).
(this is 6 times higher than the next religious category of hate crimes.)

62% of race hate crimes are against Blacks. Blacks are 14.4% of the population. 3,421 incidents against blacks (in 2022)
(this is 3 times higher than the next racial category of hate crimes.)

source, FBI hate crime statistics 2022 for USA
https://www.justice.gov/crs/highligh...ime-statistics
and https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-by-religion/

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; Yesterday at 08:58 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

For those who have raised questions about antisemitism, here is an article that provides additional information on this. 10 Tough Questions on Antisemitism Explained

While portions of this article are not for discussion on this section of the forum for religion and spirituality, it is a resource for addressing the religious and spiritual education of children, which IS the topic of this thread. It is also useful for education of adults on antisemitism, and antisemitism is very pertinent to this section of the forum and this thread in particular.

The ten elements touched on in the article are:

1. Why is antisemitism different from other forms of hate?
2. Where does antisemitism come from?
3. How has antisemitism evolved over time?
4. Does antisemitism come from the far-right or the far-left?
5. What is philosemitism?
6. Are Jews white?
7. How can Jews claim to be targets of discrimination when so many Jews are doing so well?
8. Do efforts to define antisemitism take away freedom of speech?
9. Is it antisemitic to criticize Israel?
10. When are anti-Zionism and criticisms of Israel considered forms of antisemitism?

https://www.ajc.org/news/10-tough-qu...tism-explained

Old Yesterday, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahAstin View Post
What are your thoughts and experiences on religion, spirituality, and children?

Getting back to OP, teaching children the value of religion, be it at home by parents, or in religious schools, can include:
Love yourself, as God is within you, not distant from you.
Love others, as God is in everyone of us.
Hate and violence will distance you from God and that corrupts your own self.
Teach them to pray, this teaches them humility.
Teach them to meditate, this teaches them to control their thoughts.

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

13,745 posts, read 8,048,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
... that Jews have been set apart by God -- chosen for a specific purpose; that purpose being to carry the Divine, His message and His salvation, to the world in multiple very real ways. For that, you are to be honored. For that, I honor you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
That is a very thoughtful sentiment, definitely something one would want his children to understand the responsibility they carry . Can you enumerate the ways this has been actualized?
It started nearly 4000 years ago with Abraham. He came from a family of pagan idol-makers, but was called by God to leave his home, worship only the True God, and start a new nation. It was to and through Abraham's descendants that He revealed Himself to the world over the centuries through prophets, priests, and kings. Much of this tradition was recorded in Scripture.

Some of these prophets, priests, and kings spoke and wrote of a future descendant of Abraham who would be born of a virgin and bring salvation to all of mankind. This savior is Jesus Christ, born into the tribe of Judah to a virgin named Mary. It is through this Judean that salvation has been brought not just to the Jews but to all of mankind.

Of course so much more could be said, but that is a very simplified synopsis.

Old Today, 07:08 AM

17,869 posts, read 13,799,020 times
Quote:
It started nearly 4000 years ago with Abraham. He came from a family of pagan idol-makers, but was called by God to leave his home, worship only the True God, and start a new nation. It was to and through Abraham's descendants that He revealed Himself to the world over the centuries through prophets, priests, and kings. Much of this tradition was recorded in Scripture.

Some of these prophets, priests, and kings spoke and wrote of a future descendant of Abraham who would be born of a virgin and bring salvation to all of mankind. This savior is Jesus Christ, born into the tribe of Judah to a virgin named Mary. It is through this Judean that salvation has been brought not just to the Jews but to all of mankind.

I would say that an observant Jew would fully agree with the your first paragraph and completely disagree with your second one.

Old Today, 08:33 AM

13,745 posts, read 8,048,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
I would say that an observant Jew would fully agree with the your first paragraph and completely disagree with your second one.
Yes; that begs the question: "observant" to what or whom?

Old Today, 08:58 AM

Quote:

Thank you for that summary. I realize a lot of depth will be lost as this medium is inadequate, but stiil may I ask:
True God. How did he know the True God from the pagan god?
Nation - Did Abraham leave his family, home and go to another place and establish a nation? How did he acquire this land, from whom, and how? Is this the origin of Judaism, from this one family, former pagan worshippers?
Abrahams decedents eventually became Christians and Muslims, one from Jesus, the other being Mohammad?
Is the birth of Jesus to Mary the rift of Christianity from Abraham?
The only original descendants of Abraham are Jews?

Old Today, 10:12 AM

23,268 posts, read 10,552,600 times
Quote:
Yes; that begs the question: "observant" to what or whom?
To the only religion God created, his Sabbaths and his holy days with all its ways and precepts. The only people in the world who keep what God demanded them to keep.

The world hates them because they wont stop being observant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality