Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 09:27 PM

51,024 posts, read 24,518,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
That was not my question. How do you know letting a child choose their belief system might not result in something tragic?
Okay, so we get it. You don't believe children deserve any freedom of thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
I draw the line as long as my children are still living in my home and under my care. When they move out and start their own lives, they will be responsible for whatever choices they make. All I can do is provide them with a solid foundation to build on. It's my duty to do that. I owe it both to them and to God who gave my children to me and placed them under my care.
In my business I heard several parents -- parents who physically abused their children (not to mention their wives) who said pretty much the same thing.

Old Yesterday, 09:29 PM

Quote:
That is greatly dependent on whether or not their eternal souls are actually at stake.
Treating children like thought-slaves might just put your soul in eternal hell.

It's interesting how insecure you are about your own religion.

Old Yesterday, 09:52 PM

63,973 posts, read 40,253,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
In my business I heard several parents -- parents who physically abused their children (not to mention their wives) who said pretty much the same thing.
When your excuse is you are "saving their eternal soul," no abuse is too much in their eyes.

Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM

16,828 posts, read 5,030,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horn of ‘83 View Post
That was not my question. How do you know letting a child choose their belief system might not result in something tragic?
Such as being fooled by Satan and choosing something like Christianity when the real creator of the universe is Mbombo?

How do you know NOT letting a child choose their belief system might result in something tragic?

Old Yesterday, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Of course you would impose your will on your children, that is if you care anything about them.

If you observed your child running out into a busy street, you would run after your child and physically grab them to keep them out of the street, against the child's will, since your will is that the child lives.
Because we sometimes need to impose our will on our children. Do you impose your will on your children all the time?

Old Yesterday, 11:16 PM

Quote:
If something has been of great benefit to you, I think it's only natural to want to pass that on to your children.

Of course, when talking about "religion", which is defined simply as the means by which man relates to the Divine, we would have to make a distinction between religion generally, and True Religion which is that religion that God Himself has revealed to mankind.
If only there was a True Religion which a god has revealed itself to mankind.

Quote:
Religion (generally) is a necessary part of the human experience. To consciously eschew religion is to eschew a part of one's humanity; ...
Such as eschewing optical illusions as a part of reality?

Quote:
... but I would submit that humans who eschew formal religion ultimately end up substituting something else for it.
I can only talk about my experience, but I have not replaced religion with something else. I have different interests, but I would have those even if I was religious.

Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm108 View Post
i would send him/her to your house to practice there.
:d

Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Quote:
That is greatly dependent on whether or not their eternal souls are actually at stake.
Except we do not know their eternal souls are actually at stake. We do know getting hit by a car hurts unless one dies immediately.

Old Today, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
Because we sometimes need to impose our will on our children. Do you impose your will on your children all the time?
What struck me was the phrase: "Of course you would impose your will"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality