Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2023, 05:44 AM

26 posts, read 19,493 times

Advertisements

I am a long-time security expert - military trained and 40+ years experience as a security officer; approaching retirement age. I have worked all aspects of security: armed / unarmed in all fields - most especially in Healthcare (Emergency Room) and in gated (expensive) HOA communities.

Looking at moving into the Tyler, TX area - with possible commute (20 miles, 1-way MAX) to the Longview, TX area. Any recommendations for Gregg County vs Smith County, as far as buying a house? (Looking at a price range of $150,000-$250,000.)

What are THE MOST EXPENSIVE HOA gated communities in the area (to work SECURITY at)?
(I worked, in Austin, Texas, at an HOA community with 200+ homes valued between $1million-$6 million.)
How about private estates? Is there a security company which specializes in executive protection / estate protection?

What is the best HOSPITAL to work at? I am looking at working in the ER as security (5+ years experience in Florida). What hospital has the most gun shot wounds come in?

Alternative employment is a possibility - Are any local employers considered to be THE BEST EMPLOYERS in the area?

Thank you for your assistance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2023, 09:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
My first stop would be to Express Employment. They do professional placement as well as other types of placement and I don't believe there is ever a charge to the employee.

There are also several hospitals in the area. Tyler is considered to be a medical hub of East Texas. I believe the main hospitals are UT Health and Christus, as well as some others.

I don't know the answers to your real estate questions. However, the median house price in Tyler is around $245k and the median house price in Longview is around $215k. But there's a ton of differences in the two small cities. I have lived and worked in both and much prefer the Tyler area but that's me.

Welcome!

Old 06-12-2023, 10:39 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,854,435 times
I'm not aware of any fancy, gated communities in either Tyler or Longview. As Kathryn says, the houses in these areas are not like in Austin. East Texas is much more rural and laid-back than Austin, and people don't see the need for either gated neighborhoods or armed security guards. Also, most people in rural areas own guns themselves, and would defend their own home if necessary.

The biggest hospitals are UT Health in Tyler (the region's only level 1 trauma center), and Christus in both Tyler and Longview. Again, small town East Texas is not Austin, and there will not be many GSWs. Well, maybe you will see a few accidental ones during hunting season.

You need to talk with a Realtor about your home purchase price range. Longview/Gregg County is less expensive than Tyler, but Tyler is the better place to live.

Old 06-12-2023, 06:00 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,056,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Again, small town East Texas is not Austin, and there will not be many GSWs. Well, maybe you will see a few accidental ones during hunting season.
I had to look this up to see what Golden State Warriors (GSW) had to do with the subject!

Old 06-14-2023, 08:25 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,853,687 times
There are plenty of gated communities in the Tyler area but not many have guards. Most you just enter via a security gate.

The two that spring to my mind are both in outlying areas - bedroom communities of Tyler. They are Emerald Bay and Eagles' Bluff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Tyler