Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2023, 09:05 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times

Advertisements

July 7-11.
Drove up with DS and DIL.
Trip to see Butchart Gardens (ferry) and to partake in the many Chinese restaurants.
Amtrak Cascade, VAC->SEA 5:45pm train. Recommend that you bring a light blanket for this train.

Nice pics and scenery. BC has a lot to offer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2023, 09:10 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,069,759 times
I like to watch boating and sailing videos of BC on YouTube.
Lots of hidden gems there.
Vancouver is an awesome place and it’s just right up the way.
Worth the visit.

Old 07-19-2023, 10:07 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The thread is asking Washingtonians a question. Doesn't make much sense to post it in a thread that most likely won't go go, so I do believe it belongs here.
It's just the necessary baggage for some posters +/-

Old 07-19-2023, 11:20 AM

13,060 posts, read 7,493,946 times
We bought COMPASS transit cards
And Amtrak fares are inexpensive for 2.

Old 07-19-2023, 11:31 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,729,940 times
There are some neat things to see and do up there. However, "how many from Vancouver BC visit WA", might be more fitting.
Over the Canada Day/July 4th weekend, border backups were hours/miles long, in Bellingham the Costco gas line was backed out onto Bakerview, and trying to get anything but skim milk or $7/half gallon organic was impossible, everyone was sold out.

Old 07-19-2023, 12:15 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
I don't remember the name of it, but we stumbled on this big agricultural area in BC, maybe Fraser Valley? There were lots of roadside produce stands with amazing tomatoes & Walla Walla onions & lots of other great produce. I think we crossed back into USA around Okanogan. It was great.

When we moved to Washington, I considered the proximity to Canada to be one of the perks, just as when I lived in SoCal, the proximity to Mexico for travel was a perk. An acquaintance here in WA would take his family up to the international airport in Vancouver, BC for flights overseas, as opposed to SeaTac, he said it was a lot easier.

Old 07-19-2023, 03:19 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,273,283 times
I've been 3x in the last year (once during winter, spring, and summer), and I'd like to make it up there during the fall, too. Vancouver itself is a gem of a city, but if you drive north and pass Squamish, there's a ton more to do that a lot of people don't even know about.

Old 07-19-2023, 05:41 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Probably not a lot of the total WA population goes to BC, but those of us who do.... Go often!

There is a lot to enjoy in Vancouver BC, and a lot more in BC.
We caught a cricket tournament in Stanley Park on one visit.

Plenty of WA residents go to BC (or Vancouver) daily. Especially if they live in Point Roberts . When on work assignment in metro Vancouver BC, I lived in Point Roberts.

When we've volunteered at Okanagan Gleaners, many volunteers come up from WA.

I have several annual events that I attend in Vancouver BC, as it draws a lot of international participa
One of my kids is WWU alumni, they spent a lot of time in BC (camping, skiing, sea kayaking, partying). Several classmates now own homes in Birch Bay, so they still go to BC very frequently. Of course there are the crowds at lynden and edeleen dairy that aren't all Canadians. https://www.edaleendairy.com/. There are plenty in the crowd who are WA residents, heading to -and-fro from BC.
Pretty crazy how Canada and the US divided that little piece of land hanging down below the border and called it Washington. With a population of 1,100, I would think those Washingtonians identify more with their Canadian neighbors culturally and out of necessity than they do with the US being cutoff like that.

I would imagine the greatest amount of Washington residents they get crossing the boarder live in the northern part of the state. That is from Bham on up. I wonder if there are some advantages to living in places like Blain or Birch Bay vs. on the other side? For example, there are many benefits to living in Vancouver WA while enjoying the benefits of a larger city to the south including its airport, cuisine, educational opportunities, entertainment, etc... I mean, they've got world class skiing at Whistler and whole host of other things to enjoy. It's actually one of the benefits of living in WA vs. TX or some other place further away.

I do know a Washingtonian native who chose to go to university in Canada and returned to the US after she gradated to work here. She said it was a great experience.

Derek

Old 07-19-2023, 05:46 PM

8,213 posts, read 16,686,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
We bought COMPASS transit cards
And Amtrak fares are inexpensive for 2.
I've always wanted to take those trains. But especially the ones that head into the Canadian Rockies. There is so beauty that can be taken in while letting someone else drive!

Derek

Old 07-19-2023, 07:13 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,213,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I don't remember the name of it, but we stumbled on this big agricultural area in BC, maybe Fraser Valley? There were lots of roadside produce stands with amazing tomatoes & Walla Walla onions & lots of other great produce. I think we crossed back into USA around Okanogan. It was great.

When we moved to Washington, I considered the proximity to Canada to be one of the perks, just as when I lived in SoCal, the proximity to Mexico for travel was a perk. An acquaintance here in WA would take his family up to the international airport in Vancouver, BC for flights overseas, as opposed to SeaTac, he said it was a lot easier.
As I said earlier, this is a very relevant thread. I am sorry that even something as innocuous as this generated some flack. In any case, I hope I don't take the thread off-topic by my comment but my understanding is that one is not allowed to bring produce, outside of bags labeled with origin, e.g., Product of Canada. And, that one must declare all produce one is attempting to import at the border.

The reason for the question that we are too timid to test the boundaries and simply avoid bringing anything that could be construed as food. I know a lot of Canadians come to the US to shop and take food back to Canada. What I do not know is whether the US visitors can practically do that as well and clear understanding of the limits at a finer level (and avoid needing to throw it away at the border).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Canada > Vancouver