Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 03:47 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times

Advertisements

More press is starting to come out about Riverdale Park Station (Whole Foods). I thought it would be good to start a separate thread as this project will span several years and involve many structures.

Here is a brief overview:

Quote:
The project’s first phase involves building a Whole Foods grocery store, more than 100,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space and 22,000 square feet of office space, said Jonathan Ebbeler, Riverdale Park councilman and the city’s Economic Development Committee chairman.

The second phase includes the creation of 981 residential units — 855 multi-family homes and 126 townhomes — as well as a 120-room hotel.

Calvin Cafritz Enterprises, one of the largest developers in Washington, will privately fund the $350 to 400 million project, Ebbeler said.

Cafritz owned the land since the 1950s and tried several times to develop it, but a lack of local support blocked the plans. But this year, Cafritz “negotiated a deal that was mutually beneficial both to the town and the developer,” Ebbeler said.

The finished product will connect several parts of the area, including the west and east sides of Riverdale Park, College Park and the M Square Research Park via a bridge over the CSX railroad, Ebbeler said. The development will also piece together the hiking and biking “Trolley Trail” that runs from Hyattsville to College Park.
Plans for Riverdale Park development underway, approved by county council - The Diamondback : News

RIVERDALE PARK STATION

H&R Retail Home Page

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 03:52 PM

Default Current List of Signed and Negotiated Leases

Signed Leases:

1. Whole Foods
2. Bella Beach Spa
3. Old Line Bank

Six Total Leases Currently Under Negotiation

Old 05-19-2015, 09:28 PM

1,830 posts, read 1,652,083 times
Thanks for starting this. I stopped following the machinations when I couldn't understand the validity of some of the objections that were being raised. Am I correct in assuming that the County/District Council/Executive overrode the objections of the City of CP? Or how did the objections get resolved?

Old 05-20-2015, 09:19 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,806,228 times
more about whole foods??

Old 05-20-2015, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
Thanks for starting this. I stopped following the machinations when I couldn't understand the validity of some of the objections that were being raised. Am I correct in assuming that the County/District Council/Executive overrode the objections of the City of CP? Or how did the objections get resolved?
College Park had little to do with it since the city limits only touched 1/4 an acre of the parcel of land. They were mostly on board towards the end. The heaviest opposition came from University Park (HHI $132k). Go figure. Affluence strikes again. Their case wasn't strong enough. They tried to appeal on procedural errors. But unlike Chevy Chase and the Purple Line, University Park took their losses and went home. It wasn't a strong enough case to halt construction.

Quote:
Alves found the first argument, that the District Council lacked jurisdiction to hear the rezoning case because the Prince George's Planning Board failed to send along its recommendation to the District Council within 105 days as required by law, without merit because no one raised this objection with the District Council at the time.
"Many Maryland cases have consistently held that issues not properly preserved for judicial review cannot be considered by the reviewing court," wrote Alves.
Further, Alves also wrote that the procedural violation was not substantial enough to warrant reversing or remanding the District Council's decision over.
The second argument, that the District Council's decision should be reversed, under a legal principle called the Accardi Doctrine, because it did not follow its own procedures when it deliberated on the rezoning, was also rejected by Alves, who found that the allegations of procedural impropriety were too minor to have had a prejudicial effect on the outcome of the District Council's decisions.
Cafritz Rezoning Appeal Rejected in Strong Terms | Hyattsville, MD Patch

Whole Foods project in Pr. George

Old 08-03-2015, 02:18 PM

While it may seem like nothing is going on at the site, there are tons of infrastructure work that is being put in place before other buildings can start rising. Work continues beneath the ground to support the project.

The latest construction update:

Quote:
Underground utility work to install storm drains and sewers is proceeding in multiple areas on the site. Electrical conduits are complete from Route1 to Whole Foods Market. Pepco crews are currently installing cabling and equipment for permanent power on site. The sanitary sewer work is ongoing and will continue. The storm water across the front of the Whole Foods Market, under the future parking lot, will start.
Construction Updates

Old 08-03-2015, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
While it may seem like nothing is going on at the site, there are tons of infrastructure work that is being put in place before other buildings can start rising. Work continues beneath the ground to support the project.

The latest construction update:

Construction Updates
That same quote is in the the link I provided 10 days ago. I think it's been there since January. I said in the WFM thread that the date on the top of the construction updates keeps changing with the calendar, but the substance of the info below hasn't changed since January, and that's particularly deceptive.

I don't think anyone is going to fall for your inept attempt to imply that work remains either underway or on schedule at RPS.

From what I saw yesterday, there's currently more equipment on site at Konterra.

Old 08-03-2015, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBMD View Post
That same quote is in the the link I provided 10 days ago. I think it's been there since January. I said in the WFM thread that the date on the top of the construction updates keeps changing with the calendar, but the substance of the info below hasn't changed since January, and that's particularly deceptive.

I don't think anyone is going to fall for your inept attempt to imply that work remains either underway or on schedule at RPS.

From what I saw yesterday, there's currently more equipment on site at Konterra.
First, I've been following the project for the past few years. I saw the website when it first went live. The wording has changed from month to month in certain sections of the update. You have to pay attention to what you're reading.

Second, I have formed my opinion based on an official construction update on the developer's own website. Unless you are personally involved with the law firm representing the developers, the developers themselves, or the construction team, your statements are just about as inept as you think mine is. At least I'm using a valid source that I know for a fact is being updated and not just glancing at the project every now and then. Would you like the foreman to include his daily journal on the web site?

Please enlighten us of you conspiracy theory for why you think the developers are constantly just updating the dates on their website to throw everyone off. "Let's just change the dates. No one will know."

Meanwhile, University Park updates its citizens on the progress via the construction updates on a weekly basis as well as the Town of Riverdale Park. I guess they are being hoodwinked too by the slight of hand.

Oh wait, another valid source that was recently updated.

Quote:
The first phase of the 37.55-acre project is well underway with
the Whole Foods-anchored retail building taking shape with an
expected opening later this year or in early 2016. Future phases
will include additional retail, office space, nearly 1,000 residential
units, and the recently announced Hyatt House hotel.
The 120-room hotel is projected to open in mid- to late-2017
and will have an extended-stay component.
http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/develop..._July_2015.pdf

Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
First, I've been following the project for the past few years. I saw the website when it first went live. The wording has changed from month to month in certain sections of the update. You have to pay attention to what you're reading.

Second, I have formed my opinion based on an official construction update on the developer's own website. Unless you are personally involved with the law firm representing the developers, the developers themselves, or the construction team, your statements are just about as inept as you think mine is. At least I'm using a valid source that I know for a fact is being updated and not just glancing at the project every now and then. Would you like the foreman to include his daily journal on the web site?

Please enlighten us of you conspiracy theory for why you think the developers are constantly just updating the dates on their website to throw everyone off. "Let's just change the dates. No one will know."

Meanwhile, University Park updates its citizens on the progress via the construction updates on a weekly basis as well as the Town of Riverdale Park. I guess they are being hoodwinked too by the slight of hand.

Oh wait, another valid source that was recently updated.

http://www.collegeparkmd.gov/develop..._July_2015.pdf
You may not understand this, but what you're implying here, is that you're using a source that you're not quoting, or that the rest of us don't have access to.

Old 08-06-2015, 09:54 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
And at the end of the day, one has to wonder why anyone gives a flying crap about a friggin Whole Foods grocery store? Is this the new trend in urban areas to "move on up to the East Side" like George and Weezie? It's totally mindboggling that so much emphasis is put on this price gouging food market. Who needs a Whole Foods to make them feel uppity? LOL Apparently urban neighborhoods!

I've got loads of money and I'm happy when I see a dollar store being built! Maybe that should be the real lesson to be learned....not spending entire paychecks on a grocery concept built on a fad and taking an entire paycheck...... but spending less and saving more!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland