Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 12:12 PM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodfin View Post
Indeed. It says I have a pretty firm grasp of reality, such as what to expect given the cost over-runs on the Silver Line.
Again, literally the only connection between the Purple Line and Silver Line is that they both have "rail" in their description. They are completely different in every conceivable way, including the fact they're different forms of transportation in different jurisdictions, constructed, designed, and run by completely different players. You don't even understand the basics of the Purple Line PPP, it seems, considering your irrational fear of cost overruns and high fares. I feel like I'm trying to explain this to a 5 year old who has zero grasp of otherwise obvious distinctions among different transportation projects. I give up. Enjoy whining to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2016, 09:05 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:

I'm all ears on what I "don't seem to understand," especially as (again) you add nothing substantive to accompany your insults.

We've already covered why it's rational to expect cost over-runs. So what about fares ? Local MTA buses cost $1.70........so what do you expect the for-profit private partner on a multi-billion dollar Purple Line to charge ? Less than that ? Is my $3 guess really that far off ? Do tell, please, answer man.
MTA sets the fares, not the private partner and MTA has already said the cost will be in-line with bus fares. The private partner assumes the risk of cost overruns and is fined for construction delays and poor service. That's the entire point of the PPP structure. The state pays a set yearly price and the private partner is responsible for line's construction and maintenance. Does that help you understand? Maybe read about the project a bit if you still don't understand the basics, like how light rail and heavy rail systems aren't comparable just because they both have "rail" in their name. Too bad the line isn't referred to as a streetcar; you'd just go bonkers trying to compare it to Hondas and Toyotas.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:27 AM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
I'm not even sure why WMATA is even in this conversation. Cabs stop at Metro stations too. Do they set their fares based on WMATA metro fares? The two are completely separate entities. One has nothing to do with the other. There probably won't even be a Purple Line map on the WMATA map and vice versa. That's how SEPARATE they are.

Old 03-08-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
I guess you don't have anything to substantiate this claim ? I can't find anything.

Purple Line contract details costs to state, station design changes - WTOP

Fares

Under the terms of the contract, Purple Line Transit Partners would be responsible for setting up a fare payment system using up to $15 million in funding from the state. The contract requires that the fare system must be compatible with Metro’s next generation fare system.

The Maryland Transit Administration, which is overseeing the project, will set fares. And fares would most likely be enforced by Maryland Transit Administration police, but local and state police would also have jurisdiction on the trains.

The contract does include an opportunity to hope for an earlier start date: Any request to open the line early must be submitted a year in advance.
That quote mentions nothing about price and says that the fare SYSTEM must be compatible. Not fare prices.

Old 03-09-2016, 07:14 AM

A comprehensive write-up on the entire project.

Seven Things to Know About the New Purple Line Agreement

Information about the light-rail project’s cost and design as well as the companies chosen to construct and operate it

Seven Things to Know About the New Purple Line Agreement - Bethesda Beat - Bethesda, MD

Old 03-10-2016, 10:08 AM

377 posts, read 664,930 times
36 years? That can't possibly be how long it will take for construction? Later in the article is says completion in 6 years.

Old 03-16-2016, 07:40 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
I'm sure they appreciate your praise.

Old 03-16-2016, 08:16 AM

Quote:
I, for one, would like to take this opportunity to praise local leadership - both MTA and the state of MD - for their decision to sink over $1.2 billion (before over-runs) into an unnecessary Purple Line project.........instead of using that money and effort in a coordinated effort to fix and improve existing Metro lines and service.

Yes, what the region really really needs is a light-rail line that will run almost exactly parallel to existing roads, yet will travel at a rate of speed slower than the average MTA bus in that area. I'm sure lot's of people are going to take the time to get to a Purple Line station so that, instead of driving, they can then pay their money for that !!

And all this for the low, low cost to local/state govt of $1.2 billion+.......before cost over-runs !! (Of course, not counting the $900 million federal contribution to this wasteful pork-barrel spending.)

Money well spent, MD !! Slow-rail parallel to a road. Couldn't make this stuff up.
Why save your disdain only for MD? Virginia just built the Silver Line. Was that also unnecessary? Besides, they already had the Dulles Toll Road.

What about the money DC spent on the streetcar? Didn't they already have buses on that route?

By the way, aren't all three jurisdictions responsible for the upkeep on the Metro System? Why is MD singled out for what the other two jurisdictions have clearly already done and apparently got a pass for?

Old 03-17-2016, 03:27 PM

13,648 posts, read 20,767,629 times
Ike Leggett has announced a hefty property tax increase.

Gotta love the Purple Line.

Old 03-23-2016, 07:58 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,896,239 times
I don't live there but I think it's great to see someone is trying to sew together the branches of a rail system. Too many rail systems you have to go into the central city before you can go anywhere. I guess because the transit agencies are headquartered there the bureaucrats can't imagine anyone wanting to go anywhere else. Congrats to MD on recognizing the need and especially for taking action to serve that market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland