Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2023, 05:30 AM

9,358 posts, read 14,085,892 times

Advertisements

Upper Marlboro, Fort Washington, Accokeek. Areas are a combo of semi rural and suburban with occasional new developments being built. Check the usual websites like realtor, zillow, etc. Not much public transport though. That drives up the prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2023, 06:44 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
...........Here's a 4-BR not yet built, close to the Brunswick MARC train route:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._P417000772265
The MARC train is 1 hour and 1 minute, Brunswick station to Silver Spring station. Then allow a few more minutes to drive and park to station, and then walk to the office.

If you go with this new build, you would probably have to rent temporarily.

The last posters rec's for places in Prince Georges County is not bad pricewise. However, you would have a long commute by car. Here's an example in Accokeek: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Here's another example in the outer burbs in Charles County: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._P417000771777 Figure on 40-50 minutes commuting by car for either Prince Georges or Charles County.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-16-2023 at 07:50 AM..

Old 07-16-2023, 07:53 AM

2,188 posts, read 2,684,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
I am not looking in the metro area for $600k. I am aware that is not enough for what I am searching. I am willing to commute up to 1 ht using public transportation, to increase my chances, if possible.

Is $600k not enough within 1 hr of silver spring?
You could probably make the 40+mile drive (Waldorf MD or Baltimore's western suburbs, for example) each way in under an hour if you work very odd hours. There's the Marc line that connects to cheaper areas via public transit, but the odds of finding a new build within walking distance of the station are low and it'd take longer than an hour door-to-door anyway.

New build SFHs are fairly rare here; the area has largely been built out for 50+ years. New build SFHs of that size under $600k are going to be in a different metro area, i.e. Baltimore's suburbs, or in some sprawled outskirt of DC metro. You're going to have to give something up. Either go with a new TH if being the first occupant is that important to you or go with a 90s SFH if having that many bedrooms and being detached is important to you.

Last edited by bufflove; 07-16-2023 at 08:04 AM..

Old 07-16-2023, 09:51 AM

13,368 posts, read 27,015,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bufflove View Post
...... You're going to have to give something up. Either go with a new TH if being the first occupant is that important to you or go with a 90s SFH if having that many bedrooms and being detached is important to you.
Agree with this completely. Here are some possible compromises along the Brumswick MARC line. This house in Point of Rocks is 24 years old, and it is a 59 minute commute on the MARC. The community has a nice HOA, and the historic town is attractive:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...7_M58420-66104

This one in Montgomery Village is closer, about 30 minutes commute on the MARC, and you can walk to a local bus stop. The house is 30 years old, and has been updated with a finished basement. There is an HOA providing some amenities:
https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...6_M54663-63466

Old 07-16-2023, 08:06 PM

1,202 posts, read 789,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The MARC train is 1 hour and 1 minute, Brunswick station to Silver Spring station. Then allow a few more minutes to drive and park to station, and then walk to the office.

If you go with this new build, you would probably have to rent temporarily.

The last posters rec's for places in Prince Georges County is not bad pricewise. However, you would have a long commute by car. Here's an example in Accokeek: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...=srp-list-card

Here's another example in the outer burbs in Charles County: https://www.realtor.com/realestatean..._P417000771777 Figure on 40-50 minutes commuting by car for either Prince Georges or Charles County.
I would never, ever recommend anybody going to PG or Charles to SS TBH. 270 traffic from Frederick is predictable, 495 traffic is not. MD-5 is also quite congested during rush hour. Oh, and there is no transit from outer PG / Charles other than commuter buses to DC.

I second Brunswick area. It is also being built up, so there will be more amenities that way instead of having to drive up to Frederick.

Old 09-03-2023, 04:57 PM

10 posts, read 8,930 times
Check out Hyattsville or College Park. Taxes are a bit high but there are more restaurants now.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:15 AM

18,323 posts, read 10,648,066 times
Columbia fits your requirements.

Old 09-17-2023, 09:16 PM

178 posts, read 161,857 times
General rule...if you want public transportation, the Metro train will guide your decisions.

Silver Spring rush hour traffic is a special hell. Never worked there but had to go by the usual Georgia Ave, Colesville Rd exits.

The Red Line is all within Moco, but you could look at some NoVa suburbs on the Orange, Blue, or Yellow Lines(they might be out of budget though) if 1 hour is fine for you commute wise.

For houses under 30 years old and under 600k this is what you'll have to pick between
1. Going to be way out. Frederick, Jessup, Laurel.
2. Being closer but paying a watchdog tightwad municipality double taxes, i.e College Park, Berwyn Heights, Riverdale, Mount Rainier
3. Being a bit further out in Peegee like Lanham where there isn't a municipal tax but the county still taxes you heavy and hard, but you get bad roads and some drugs and crime anyway.
4. You're in Bowie, a municipality but its far out enough the "bad guys" of PG don't deliberately go there.
5. The southern Green line, where you might make too much contact with the 'hood.

Old 12-02-2023, 05:15 PM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunshinejoe View Post
Hello,
My job is taking me to MD. The office is in Silver Springs. I am open to living anywhere that is within 1 hour and would love to commute using public transportation. I know nothing about MD other than having relatives in Frederick.

With that in mind, I am trying to decide where to purchase a home. I am not into living in old homes but prefer a single family home, new construction (no townhome or apartments), 4 Bed/3 Bath around $600k.

What cities would you suggest I look into? Thanks
"Moving from Florida to Maryland. Where should I live?"

BACK to Florida!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland