Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2024, 05:07 PM

577 posts, read 299,783 times

Advertisements

I’m wondering how retirement in WV near DC might be for one wanting an affordable relaxing living near nature might work? I’m in good health and not needing regular access to shopping options as long as good grocery options are near. I’ve been to dC a number of times but stayed and know the va suburbs best but they are not as close.

The WV forum isn’t very active so posting my question here first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2024, 05:33 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
I would post in the WV forum too, although I know some folks here will be able to help you out.

My question would be, are you looking just at the Eastern Panhandle of WV? How far away from the city itself do you wish to be? Budget and housing needs help too.

Old 03-15-2024, 04:54 AM

20,096 posts, read 8,998,912 times
check out Paw Paw WV

Old 03-15-2024, 07:21 AM

I’m recently widowed so would not need to, though I can afford to, spend as much as my current home is worth, $1.4M.

I look at proximity to a big city in two ways, I like good food options both grocery stores and restaurants, as less than 15 to 20 minutes from my home and major hospital options within 40 to 50 minutes from my home.

I don’t necessary want a larger than an acre of land of my own home but mountain and open views common round me.

Old 03-15-2024, 07:36 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
I have relatives who retired from DC area and moved to the panhandle of West Virginia. All their medical care and operations over the years took place in Cumberland Maryland and Winchester Virginia. DC was a bit too far for their care over decades.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:14 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
I have relatives who retired from DC area and moved to the panhandle of West Virginia. All their medical care and operations over the years took place in Cumberland Maryland and Winchester Virginia. DC was a bit too far for their care over decades.
Yeah, DC is further away than 15 or 20 minutes from WVA.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:43 AM

2,038 posts, read 4,551,924 times
Look at Shepherdstown, WV. Nice historic town with many restaurants. A few hospitals within a 30-mile radius. Hour and a half drive to DC.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
I’m recently widowed so would not need to, though I can afford to, spend as much as my current home is worth, $1.4M.

I look at proximity to a big city in two ways, I like good food options both grocery stores and restaurants, as less than 15 to 20 minutes from my home and major hospital options within 40 to 50 minutes from my home.

I don’t necessary want a larger than an acre of land of my own home but mountain and open views common round me.
Well, with that budget the world is your oyster in WV. If you choose the Eastern Panhandle, you would closer to urban areas like Frederick and Hagerstown, MD, Martinsburg, WV, and Winchester, VA. Most of the EP is valley land, sorta rolling but not very mountainous.

If you go further west into say, Paw Paw, which I would not recommend because you are more than 15-20 minutes away from amenities, the landscape gets more mountainous and forested, land is cheaper, far fewer people. Cumberland, MD, my hometown isn't a bad option to look at actually. Your budget would get you what you want easily, and we have grocery stores, restaurants, a decent hospital (and only an hour from Ruby in Morgantown which is a good hospital.) You are further from D.C. though.

Honestly, I would post in the WV forum and I would expand my search to MD too. At your budget some place north of Frederick in the Catoctins may be ideal. Part of your search depends on whether you want to live on the edge of the mountains, but still in the DC metro area, or go out deeper into the mountains.

Old 03-15-2024, 10:45 AM

Yes I can see now as I have lived in Pittsburgh and lived in Fairfax Monday thru Friday when working but did not know the flat valley mature of the terrain in the panhandle. I too am not as acquainted with the Maryland dc suburbs to know if a Md suburb of dc would have shopping and great medical to meet my proximity goals. Maybe I should look further south near the WV and Virginia border?

My post home town departure has been in suburbs of Huston, Pittsburgh, NYC and now DFW. I like being near a big city but in its safer suburbs and have ruled out several areas where the metro was very large and populous. Pittsburgh felt almost too small to me though that was long ago and Pgh was less than 3M pop then.

Old 03-15-2024, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw222 View Post
Yes I can see now as I have lived in Pittsburgh and lived in Fairfax Monday thru Friday when working but did not know the flat valley mature of the terrain in the panhandle. I too am not as acquainted with the Maryland dc suburbs to know if a Md suburb of dc would have shopping and great medical to meet my proximity goals. Maybe I should look further south near the WV and Virginia border?

My post home town departure has been in suburbs of Huston, Pittsburgh, NYC and now DFW. I like being near a big city but in its safer suburbs and have ruled out several areas where the metro was very large and populous. Pittsburgh felt almost too small to me though that was long ago and Pgh was less than 3M pop then.
Frederick County, MD sounds like a place you should look into. Middletown and that general area would fit your needs and the price point would be right. You can go up the spine of the Catoctins too, Rt. 15 will get you right to Frederick. You have a budget to get your pick of the litter on the mountain fringe, and just my opinion, but Frederick would have the best shopping, restaurant, hospital access, transportation infrastructure in a mountain setting than WV, and probably VA too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland