Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2019, 09:44 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
It is a matter of mathematics. Not enough people get on there from the Turnpike. Those that do can easily go over to MacCorkle. Is this less convenient for them? Probably, but they do not matter when the vast majority use this as a connector from MacCorkle to Corridor G. Even more will do so once Park Place is operational. The small amount of traffic use the KT to access this corridor are simply not worth the money, the space or the deaths for the inconvenience of using MacCorkle instead.

I realize I am coming across harsh and that is not my intent, but I am tired of emotional based decisions, logic must be employed and should win out when all things are even.
The new Jefferson Road will have to have on and off ramps to connect to the Kanawha Turnpike anyways. If not, then the project will be a failure because all you would have done is make traffic at the MacCorkle Ave Intersection unbearable. Add another shopping center with Park Place, and you have the makings of a disaster. The Turnpike exit is key to helping the overall traffic flow of the area. So it will need to be smoothly integrated into Jefferson Road.

Traffic Circles are the best way to keep traffic moving. People around here are scared to death of them, but when I lived in upstate NY for a couple years I fell in love with them. They are useful for may kinds of intersections. I honestly believe that the proposed one for this project will greatly benefit traffic flow. Again, as of right now the number of people that use the KT exit to reach Trace Fork/Southridge might not justify the need of a roundabout. However, when this project is complete, I believe that the daily use of that exit will increase drastically. It is already a minute or two quicker to go that way as opposed to taking the Oakwood Road exit and using Corridor G. That way has multiple stop lights and on top of Southridge traffic, you have local South Hills traffic and people using the Corridor to go down into the Coalfields region. People will realize that taking the KT exit will not only save them time, but will be efficient with the road expansion and new traffic circle.

I am all for logical decision making as well, but I see the implementation of traffic circles as logical as possible. There is a reason that there popularity has grown exponentially over the last 15 or so years. As usual, West Virginia struggles to catch up. In places like New York and New England, they are implemented in small and large intersections. They might take up a little more room, but nobody will notice that in our scenario in South Charleston.

I wish they would build a traffic circle in Cross Lanes at the intersection of Big Tyler Rd. and Washington St. Plenty of room, and that is a terrible traffic light to get caught in. One additional traffic circle could be build off the exit itself, but that would require some additional space and re-engineering of the exit ramps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2019, 02:11 PM

1,889 posts, read 2,148,465 times
If you can't adapt to a traffic circle, you shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle. They're not hard to understand.

Old 04-23-2019, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeros71 View Post
If you can't adapt to a traffic circle, you shouldn't be allowed to drive a vehicle. They're not hard to understand.
Exactly. It’s really no different than merging in a slip lane at a normal intersection.

Old 07-08-2019, 07:28 PM

Houses on Jefferson Rd project are being torn down.

WV MetroNews Demolition of homes begin for Jefferson Road Project - WV MetroNews

Old 07-09-2019, 12:53 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
I think you are dead on the money with this observation.

As a resident in the Charleston metro, we see the state government up close and personal. While everyone else living around the state seldom see what we see daily, their sense of what is going on is much more limited. So, you are correct it is regional, but not regional in effect, regional in awareness.

The corruption of which I speak, is explain through a cult of personality. Those state level representatives that have mastered the art of deception do well for their districts and you see the disparity of which you note. That is not a good thing. That is the heart of corruption.
Oh, I think it is well recognized elsewhere in the state. While others might not witness the mechanics first hand, they certainly witness the results regularly. We might very well have the worst state government in the country.

Old 03-30-2022, 03:28 AM

https://wchstv.com/amp/news/local/co...tion-begins-on

Well supposedly it’s finally happening. Construction on the major expansion of Jefferson Road is beginning this week. The work is scheduled to be completed by Fall 2024, and will likely be a bigger headache in the meantime. However, no pain no gain! The area has needed this for decades, so I’m glad it’s finally happening. And with the construction of the nearby Park Place Center, I imagine that this faster connector to Corridor G will boost the region’s retail and service appeal. It will also likely encourage continued residential growth along Corridor G, given the fact that it open up the western part of the Kanawha Valley for commuting purposes.

I am excited to see how this goes! I’ve heard many people snicker at the idea of the roundabout, but these are also the same people who don’t have the gift of “vision mindednessâ€. People will learn to love it and finally step into the 21st century.

Old 03-30-2022, 06:26 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
I drove by yesterday. Work has started on the first two houses from Kanawha Turnpike. The second (brick) one was leveled, and the asbestos shingles have been removed from the first house so it can come down.

A DOH engineer told me they carefully looked at the idea of a roundabout and learned it is the safest way to manage a busy intersection. People will learn how it works and we won't have to wait through those LONG traffic lights any more.

They are going to have to move a LOT of dirt to make room for this project all the way out to Corridor G.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
I drove by yesterday. Work has started on the first two houses from Kanawha Turnpike. The second (brick) one was leveled, and the asbestos shingles have been removed from the first house so it can come down.

A DOH engineer told me they carefully looked at the idea of a roundabout and learned it is the safest way to manage a busy intersection. People will learn how it works and we won't have to wait through those LONG traffic lights any more.

They are going to have to move a LOT of dirt to make room for this project all the way out to Corridor G.
roundabouts would probably alleviate traffic issues in several spots around the KV, but people like to resist what they're unfamiliar with. An example of this is the R-cut intersection that they opened on Corridor G. For everything I've seen, it works like a charm. However, I hear people complain about it because they do not understand the benefits.

This road expansion is a big deal, and I cannot wait to see the finished product.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:21 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
I think another good project that is tying into this is the Trace Fork Connector - basically extending RHL Boulevard to Jefferson Road. That will be a big traffic relief.

Old 03-30-2022, 02:23 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
roundabouts would probably alleviate traffic issues in several spots around the KV, but people like to resist what they're unfamiliar with. An example of this is the R-cut intersection that they opened on Corridor G. For everything I've seen, it works like a charm. However, I hear people complain about it because they do not understand the benefits.

This road expansion is a big deal, and I cannot wait to see the finished product.
I also noticed people complaining about the roundabouts but from the video I watched it is only if you're exiting Jefferson to get onto Kanawha Turnpike not if you're just using Jefferson to get to 119. God forbid people would take the time to actually watch or read the whole thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston