Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 07:12 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

Charleston Gazette-Mail | Pulitzer Prize-winning West Virginia news | US Methanol plant breaks ground in Institute
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 AM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
The story and development has a hidden gen inside in the form of a second plant that the owners wish to move from Slovenia to the Dupont site next door. That means additional construction jobs and if it is similar in size, an additional 50 full time very well-paying jobs. Seeing as this plant is expected to take only a year to get up and running, this will mean that roughly 100 jobs will be added to the tax base for Dunbar/Institute and Kanawha County. May seem small to a lot of places but that is basically half million dollar payroll every week that was not there before!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:17 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,038,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caden Grace View Post
The story and development has a hidden gen inside in the form of a second plant that the owners wish to move from Slovenia to the Dupont site next door. That means additional construction jobs and if it is similar in size, an additional 50 full time very well-paying jobs. Seeing as this plant is expected to take only a year to get up and running, this will mean that roughly 100 jobs will be added to the tax base for Dunbar/Institute and Kanawha County. May seem small to a lot of places but that is basically half million dollar payroll every week that was not there before!
That would be a nice "get", that's for sure. What does the relocated plant produce?

Old 09-07-2017, 01:48 PM

778 posts, read 794,642 times
Both of the plants produce Methanol and the company that owns them states in the article that Dupont is a major consumer of the product for them. So, it reads to me that the second plant is more of a direct dedication to Dupont and this first plant going up is going to service Dupont until the second comes online and then switch over to general sales. That was my read from the story and a few Google searches on the company.

The county had no idea this was happening until this was happening, that is nice and sad at the same time.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:11 AM

1,642 posts, read 2,420,209 times
Gov Justice: Tech Company Opening in Charleston, Bringing 100 Jobs

Old 02-08-2019, 12:52 PM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Very positive thing for the city. Hopefully this will happen attract others. N3 (tech company at Tech Park) keeps hiring new staff.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:49 AM

604 posts, read 561,106 times
https://www.wsj.com/articles/left-be...va-11551436216

If you are paywalled, the summary is: WV desperately needs to diversify its industries and work to prevent brain drain, since there is very little compelling economic reason for young, educated people to stick around. Pretty sad state of affairs, since the headline of the WSJ today is: Inside the Hottest Job Market in Half a Century

Old 03-01-2019, 09:07 AM

583 posts, read 592,701 times
It’s a great article. A bit of a hit piece on coal but in no way does that invalidate what is being said. The chemical industry losses have hit very hard too.

My biggest gripe is that there has been a total lack of vision and planning. Not trying to remake itself. Not trying to attract new things. Grow what we have. I think their mentality is that as long as Charleston is doing better than Huntington who cares. And the apathetic population has no idea what’s going on outside of the state’s borders much less this valley.

A bunch of wealthy idiots in South Hills run the town. I live there. I’m around them. I know them. As long as they are ok they don’t give a rats butt about anything else.

It may take decades to fix this place.

Old 03-02-2019, 08:04 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
You hit the nail on the head John. The chemical industry decline is what really hurt the Kanawha Valley. Coal was always a part of the economy especially up towards Cabin Creek and south of town but to my recollection never really a huge player right in the immediate Charleston area. I think I read somewhere where the chemical industry once employed as many as 50k people in and around the city and many of those jobs were more white collar. I remember when Union Carbide (now Dow) laid off 2k people alone right as I went to college around 2001.

And yes there is a strong lack of vision and planning. The 'well this is just West Virginia' mentality is alive and well as if many people are fine being second or third class economically. It really comes down to poor leadership and nothing else. The mall debacle was just the latest in a million opportunities squandered. The local mindset that things like this are happening in small cities across the country is simply not true. The city/surrounding area is similar in size and many other characteristics to places like Roanoke, Virginia and Asheville, North Carolina. The other two are doing just fine while Charleston continues a slow steady decline. It's sad really and didn't have to be this way. One can only hope the remaining youth can band together and work to make great things happen- similar to the progress that has started over in Elk City. It won't be easy. Decades of poor leadership have made sure of that. So many of us are already gone and many aren't able to return but still hope for great things for Charleston.

Last edited by NOVAmtneer82; 03-02-2019 at 08:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston