Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2022, 07:06 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times

Advertisements

The developers of the long anticipated hotel at the old Sears property are suing the owners of the CTC (both current and former) as well as the city for holding up the project. I swear this city is never going to get its act together.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/br...tel-developer/

It's not stated in the article, but I believe the major issue is that the CTC owners are worried about the damage that will be done from demolishing the old Sears site. I don't know why that involves the former owners or the city, but there's always an angel to this sorts of things. I wish that the hotel developer would simply build across the street at the Sears Auto site. I'm also afraid that if a hotel is eventually build, it will be essentially another Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express with zero architectural features. This is too important of a location to mess up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2022, 11:58 AM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriscross309 View Post
The developers of the long anticipated hotel at the old Sears property are suing the owners of the CTC (both current and former) as well as the city for holding up the project. I swear this city is never going to get its act together.

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/br...tel-developer/

It's not stated in the article, but I believe the major issue is that the CTC owners are worried about the damage that will be done from demolishing the old Sears site. I don't know why that involves the former owners or the city, but there's always an angel to this sorts of things. I wish that the hotel developer would simply build across the street at the Sears Auto site. I'm also afraid that if a hotel is eventually build, it will be essentially another Comfort Inn or Holiday Inn Express with zero architectural features. This is too important of a location to mess up!
Oh rest assured it won't be anything like a JW Marriott or a Hilton- it will be something that ends with 'Inn & Suites' and will probably be like four or five floors. Hotels are rebounding, in particular resorts, but convention business is still way down and that is what it would attempt to cater to. Add in what convention would want to go there at this stage? To be across from a largely empty mall? Any new hotel would be better to be right downtown off Capital Street not this location. The Marriott already suffers from low occupancy rates as is so couldn't imagine another one. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they drop the franchise flag eventually.

Old 02-17-2022, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOVAmtneer82 View Post
Oh rest assured it won't be anything like a JW Marriott or a Hilton- it will be something that ends with 'Inn & Suites' and will probably be like four or five floors. Hotels are rebounding, in particular resorts, but convention business is still way down and that is what it would attempt to cater to. Add in what convention would want to go there at this stage? To be across from a largely empty mall? Any new hotel would be better to be right downtown off Capital Street not this location. The Marriott already suffers from low occupancy rates as is so couldn't imagine another one. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they drop the franchise flag eventually.
I think a nice boutique hotel on Capital St. would be a much better development for the city rather than whatever the heck these developers wan to open up next to a dead mall. It would be different if the hotel was going to be a Hilton or something similar, and was a part of a much larger realization project of the CTC. Instead, it'll be a stand along building and a piece meal approach.

Old 02-18-2022, 09:19 AM

82 posts, read 120,149 times
Quote:
I think a nice boutique hotel on Capital St. would be a much better development for the city rather than whatever the heck these developers wan to open up next to a dead mall. It would be different if the hotel was going to be a Hilton or something similar, and was a part of a much larger realization project of the CTC. Instead, it'll be a stand along building and a piece meal approach.

My wife is from York, PA and we got married at a beautiful 1920s-era hotel on the main street called the Yorktowne Hotel. Right now, that hotel is in the middle of a complete gut-and-renovate project that will modernize it while still honoring some of the historical elements. The Hotel Morgan in Morgantown just did something similar.

Both of those projects make me wonder what could be with the Daniel Boone. It's an ideal candidate for that kind of project -- historically interesting and boutique atmosphere; it would be an anchor on the north end of Capitol Street; guests would certainly shop and eat on Capitol Street or at the Market; centrally located and walkable to most of the city. Lord knows we don't need it as office space.

Last edited by Carnilmo; 02-18-2022 at 09:34 AM..

Old 02-18-2022, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnilmo View Post
My wife is from York, PA and we got married at a beautiful 1920s-era hotel on the main street called the Yorktowne Hotel. Right now, that hotel is in the middle of a complete gut-and-renovate project that will modernize it while still honoring some of the historical elements. The Hotel Morgan in Morgantown just did something similar.

Both of those projects make me wonder what could be with the Daniel Boone. It's an ideal candidate for that kind of project -- historically interesting and boutique atmosphere; it would be an anchor on the north end of Capitol Street; guests would certainly shop and eat on Capitol Street or at the Market; centrally located and walkable to most of the city. Lord knows we don't need it as office space.
Isn't that the truth! I like you're idea, but it takes someone with a vision to see something like this through. Like the developer of Eagle View who is currently renovating the old Huntington Bank building into condos.

Old 02-19-2022, 08:00 AM

146 posts, read 166,218 times
Westin Daniel Boone anyone?

Old 02-19-2022, 06:59 PM

2,021 posts, read 4,612,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRWMSPPGH View Post
Westin Daniel Boone anyone?
Agreed! And bring back the old Shrimp and Oyster Bar that was in basement. Think its called Bears Den? Or was..

Old 03-02-2022, 06:04 AM

https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/ne...anawha-county/

I wondered what they were building there, and now I know. This is along Route 60 between Malden and Belle.

Old 03-02-2022, 09:24 AM

16,665 posts, read 15,658,096 times
Quote:
https://www.wowktv.com/news/local/ne...anawha-county/

I wondered what they were building there, and now I know. This is along Route 60 between Malden and Belle.
I wondered what was being built there. I've driven up there several times in the past two years to buy meat boxes at Buzz. I had also heard they were planning to get into the meat processing business. They were closed for meat box sales this morning. It all fits together now.

Old 03-06-2022, 06:09 PM

48 posts, read 36,558 times
I spent two weeks in Charleston in the East End and really enjoyed my time. It's a wonderful city I; I was able to walk up and down the whole city in a relatively short time. I also did the Carriage trail and walked across the 35th Street Bridge to Kanawha City.

One thing I noticed is that there a lot of beautiful historic buildings, but some have fallen into states of disrepair and are clearly abandoned. Is there any plan for these? Sometimes cities auction these off for pennies on the dollar if the buyer promises to fix it up. I am not sure I have the wherewithal, but I am a remote employee and was considering snapping up one of these on the cheap and trying to fix it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston