Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,737 times

Advertisements

i am also plan on moving to Charleston in October. I am currently still on section 8 (hopefully not for to much longer) so unfortunately limited in my apt search. I have 3 kids and I am worried about bad neighborhoods. Now I am not expecting to live where the rich and famous live but I still would like to be in a semi safe neighborhood. I did some research online for elementary schools and I also will be going to Trident Tech. The elementary schools that caught my interest were Ashley River Elementary, Buist Academy and St. Andrews. Can anybody tell me any reasonable apt in that area or somewhere around there and maybe does anybody know anything about other good schools in good areas that also provide section 8 housing? I have never been to Charleston and the Real Estate Companies or the Housing Authority doesn't really give you much info. I will be there next week to search but I would at least like to have a starting point. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 05:04 PM

1,084 posts, read 1,880,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ge_mo4u View Post
i am also plan on moving to Charleston in October. I am currently still on section 8 (hopefully not for to much longer) so unfortunately limited in my apt search. I have 3 kids and I am worried about bad neighborhoods. Now I am not expecting to live where the rich and famous live but I still would like to be in a semi safe neighborhood. I did some research online for elementary schools and I also will be going to Trident Tech. The elementary schools that caught my interest were Ashley River Elementary, Buist Academy and St. Andrews. Can anybody tell me any reasonable apt in that area or somewhere around there and maybe does anybody know anything about other good schools in good areas that also provide section 8 housing? I have never been to Charleston and the Real Estate Companies or the Housing Authority doesn't really give you much info. I will be there next week to search but I would at least like to have a starting point. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!
You need to post this on the SC forum as these schools are in Charleston, SC and this is Charleston, WV people are discussing.

Old 11-07-2010, 09:51 PM

1 posts, read 4,250 times
I'm so glad I thought to come to this site & do a little preliminary (i.e. "early") research on moving. I recently moved to Charleston, but I'm so looking forward to moving, probably to the 'burbs, just as soon as my lease is up. I'm currently living in East End which is nice enough -- neighbors are great, apartment is quiet, close to quite a bit of shopping (but no grocery store); during my trips here to check out the neighborhoods when I was looking for a place, it's basically what several people have said..the apartment house I live in is in a nice up'n'coming area, but just one or two streets over in any direction...eh, not so much.

I was especially impressed with Giselle's posts as well as AlmostHeaven WV girl's & vec101's. Before I moved, I had done most of my apartment-hunting online, and I was deeply saddened that apartment search sites like move.com, forrent.com, and apartmentguide.com don't really offer much to go by (I know that every search I tried, Roxalana kept coming up!) LOL - I didn't know about the Tues weekly Ad Bulletin, but I'll be looking for it this week!)

One place that I noticed wasn't on her list was the Sanctuary Apts...proximity to the Capitol complex where I work was good (my car is having mechanical issues right now so for now, I take the bus to work), it was a very nice size, allowed DirectTv (which I'm missing like crazy right now...really don't care for SuddenLink, but the mgmt company didn't allow the satellite at all..but I digress...); had the W/D hookups I wanted IN the apt (not outside, down the alley, or in the basement), and it also offered a spa tub with separate shower. The downside for me was its location..I sometimes work late in the evening and getting home at the Sanctuary would've involved a dark road & no street lights -- not quite my cup of tea.

Still, I'm enjoying my transition..looking for a hair salon (which is what prompted this little visit to city-data.com in the first place). I'm bookmarking this forum so it'll always be a click away!

Old 11-08-2010, 05:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 7,372,566 times
Welcome to Charleston.
Hope you enjoy it here as much as we do.

Can't help with a hair salon. My guy keeps cutting back on his hours and isn't taking new clients.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:20 PM

2 posts, read 6,788 times
Thumbs down Devonshire Staff was NOT Nice !!!

Devonshire in Scott Depot,WV. I would Say is NOT Easy At All to get Approved by. The Staff at Devonshire where Just Plain Mean and Nasty to Work with and Very Rude People. I Feel It is NOT Fair Housing AT ALL !! The Staff could be nice but they went out of their Way to be very Nasty and Mean. They Hide Listings and Screen in the Way I Feel is NOT Fair Housing. On The App. they ask if you are White or Black or Other !!! Not Set Up for People in a Wheel Chair. NO Way a Person in a Wheel Chair can get up three sets of Steps. NOT Up to Housing Codes at all. I never have seen such RUDE Women Working in a Office !!! The Office Staff could be Nice but they where NOT !!! Want Tax Records to be Approved. They should NEVER ASK on a App. what Race you are !!! I Never Have Seen so much Unfair Housing that Devonshire is doing !!

Old 04-19-2012, 12:25 PM

2 posts, read 6,788 times
Thumbs down Devonshire Staff Treats People Like Dirt !!!

I Don't Know Why The Office Staff at Devonshire in Scott Depot,WV. has to be Nasty and Mean to People !!! The Office Staff Treats People Like Dirt !!! The Office Staff Goes Out of Their Way to be Mean to People !!
They Should Never even ask on a App. what Race you are !!! They should NOT ask for Tax Record !!! I Don't Think Fair Housing !!!

Old 09-07-2012, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 3,085 times
Default Newbie in Charleston

Hello everyone!
This is so far the best source I got in my apartment search n trust me I have clicked on every possible link till now! I am moving to Charleston next month (Oct15) to start working at Dow chemicals. I am looking for apartments near south Charleston and Dunbar. I am actually planning to come down to see the apartments this Monday, Sept 10.

I am planning on checking following apartments. They all are located near my work. Do you have any suggestions or remarks about these?
1. Stratford apartments
2. Roxalena Hills apartments
3. The Oaks
4. Imperial towers and Terrace park east
5. Grandpointe avenue

I am also going to look for an apartment in Teays valley. Will it be very hard to commute to south Charleston from Teays valley? I saw some pics of the apartment and it seems nice, but only problem is the distance. Any remarks/suggestions for that?

Thanks in advance!!

Old 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM

49 posts, read 92,918 times
Default Country Club Village

Does anybody out there have any opinions/information about Country Club Village or the Presidio? The closer it gets to my actually moving to Charleston, the more scared I'm getting as I do not know the area at all and haven't had much luck finding anything thus far. Your help is appreciated!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:04 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,093,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cldwv View Post
Does anybody out there have any opinions/information about Country Club Village or the Presidio? The closer it gets to my actually moving to Charleston, the more scared I'm getting as I do not know the area at all and haven't had much luck finding anything thus far. Your help is appreciated!
The only thing I know about the country club village is that its entrance is at a terrible intersection. It is really close to good shopping, with Corridor G being a very short drive.

I'd be gald to answer any other questions you may have about the area.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:48 PM

198 posts, read 413,301 times
It is at a busy intersection but there is a stop light so I wouldn't be too concerned about it being that hard to deal with. I think County Club Village has pretty nice apartments and is in a very convenient location. Don't really know anything about Presidio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston