Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 08:06 AM

49 posts, read 92,918 times

Advertisements

Well, I lost the place at Presidio--someone beat me to it. Can anybody tell me anything about the Charleston neighborhood Dunbar?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 12:57 PM

198 posts, read 413,301 times
Dunbar is not a Charleston neighborhood. It is a separate town. There are several apartment complexes in Dunbar. Roxalana Hills, The Oaks, Grandview Pointe. I think they all have websites that you could take a look at.

Old 12-17-2012, 12:59 PM

5 posts, read 13,211 times
Just want to let you all know – stay away from Apartment Management Services. I rented a 2 BD, part of a duplex, from them (South Hills location) and the common area lights and electric outlets were charged to my electric bill. They didn't bother to let me know until I accidentally found out about it. Also they will deduct your security deposit for "cleaning" no matter how cleaned you had it before moving out. They are just dishonest.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:08 AM

10,211 posts, read 15,912,728 times
I have my own thread lol but I'm almost narrowing it down to The Oaks and Roxalana Hills, both in Dunbar as my top choices.

There just doesn't seem to be a lot of online reviews on The Oaks and I just emailed them last weekend on details about the room, pools, and rent.

But in general is $725 for a 1 bedroom unit in a garden apartment with pool and swim considered reasonable for the Charleston area? I've heard about Imperial Towers on MacCorkle ave but that is too expensive and too urban an area for me. I will be going to UC but I'm going to be in one of the graduate programs so I don't need to ALWAYS have the party scene there plus I've always prefered local taverns over clubs or wine bars.

And earlier in this thread, what's up with some Charleston "user fee" for those who commute to the city????? Also as a renter I'm not sure if I have to pay local income taxes......does the city of CHarleston charge extra taxes in addition to what Kanawha County charges? I will be moving from Maryland and many of us here try to be experts on avoiding taxes, tolls, and "user fees" that the DC area and Baltimore City force on us !!!

Old 04-23-2013, 08:35 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,833,523 times
When I lived there, last year was 2005, there was no income tax in South Charleston. There is annual personal property tax on cars, in case you didn't know that. The Charleston fee per Let's face it, the city user fee gets the job done* - Don Surber - Charleston Daily Mail - West Virginia News and Sports - is a wage fee $2/week (in 2010) only if you work in Charleston city limits.

Just as an aside, if you live anywhere off Roxalana Rd. and the Interstate is all backed up, you can also go (north?) on Roxalana Rd. to Washington St. W rt 62, to 7th Avenue rt 25, run 7th Ave on the north side of the river to Patrick St in Charleston, and then cross the river and get MacCorkle to Univ of Chas. Or, you can pick up Kanawha Blvd at Patrick St and run that to the east end of Charleston and cross the 35th St Bridge and get to school that way.

If you wind up in Cross Lanes, and you are living on on Washington St W, you can use it as the back way into North Charleston, and run 7th Avenue into town. My first apt. was Cross Lanes Big Tyler Road, and I used to run Big Tyler into Washington W to 7th Ave, then cross at Patrick St. to go to the So. Charleston Tech Center in good weather, because it was faster and easier than fighting all the Cross Lanes and I-64 traffic from where I lived. But those roads have all changed and it's been a while since I left, so you'd have to look at today's conditions and see what works. But when it snows there, usually the first thing that happens is the road crews are nowhere to be found, elevated I-64 freezes, somebody immediately wrecks and then traffic flow is all "backed" up with a capital J. LOL So it's always worth knowing the alternate routes if you live to the west of Charleston.

Old 04-23-2013, 02:15 PM

10,211 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Thanks for the link on that old article. Surprised this kind of mentality exists even in West Virginia.....certainly there is talk of that in Baltimore City as there is a massive commute from the suburbs downtown.

But that editorial doesn't really hold much water IMHO. What about the guy who lives in the city and works in Cross Lanes? I need to look more into car taxes and all......it seems like while West Virginia is lower taxed than Maryland, but perhaps not by as much as I had thought or hoped. I hope there are no more local plans to raise the gas tax.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:47 PM

Property tax for homeowners was the only significant break that I ever noticed. For a while, iirc, they even had 6% sales tax across the board on all food as well as clothing and shoes. And they had a lot of nickel and dime taxes on every single utility and your cell phone bill and cable bill, yada yada.

If you are bringing in a new car that's worth something, they used to really whack you, almost like paying the car sales tax all over again. Where you make out is driving a *nice* old vehicle that has a low book value due to it's age, because they never check the actual condition of the vehicle. Old stuff is always taxed at the piece-of-carp rate.

Old 04-24-2013, 01:02 PM

119 posts, read 336,989 times
what apartment/condo complex would you suggest for a 25 year old? Is downtown the place to be or no?

Old 04-24-2013, 01:13 PM

I really don't know. I moved from the Charleston area in 2005. Cross Lanes probably still has a lot of singles in that age group, but I always thought is is too remote from town and pretty boring. South Hills was always popular. If you just want an apartment without it being in a complex, there are apartment buildings scattered on the hill streets of South Charleston, and in Kanawha City. And numerous apartments in the East End. The trick is to find out who manages them and see when a unit might be available.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:13 PM

119 posts, read 336,989 times
So I will be moving here in 3 weeks and I will be in charleston Friday, which apartments are worth a look and do you have addresses? Thank You!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia > Charleston