Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2021, 07:49 AM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times

Advertisements

Checked out Wicker Park Fest on Sunday, and was kinda disappointed. While it seemed fairly well attended, there were significantly fewer vendors (I'd say a quarter or a third of the normal amount) and the vibe wasn't very energetic there.
My girlfriend loves the crafty vendors that sell jewelry and such, and I love the ones that sell cool/weird/arty graphic t-shirts. Both were in short supply, and particular vendors I used to see like clockwork were not there this time.
We made our way through the fest and in less than an hour had moved on.
It did feel good to be at a fest again after all these months, but it was definitely not the usual fest vibe you'd normally experience/expect. I understand though, that it will take time until things bounce back completely, so while disappointed, I can't kvetch too much about it, and hope next year will be better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2021, 08:14 AM

4,630 posts, read 3,246,186 times
quigboto, hey, good morning!

And thank you for sharing your review!!

I ended up not making it down to Chicago this weekend.... I did take my daughters on a paddle boat at Independence Grove in Libertyville, Ill., on Saturday.

BOY, WAS IT HOT THIS WEEKEND!!

Wicker park is not my normal stomping grounds. That said, I have ridden my bicycle past it a couple of times this year. It looks like a very nice park, and I imagine they must normally put on a decent festival... I think you are right that for many we are not exactly back to "normalcy" yet, so maybe that is why numbers are down.

I'm glad to hear you and your girlfriend were able to get outside and experience some fun, even if for an hour.... Did you go somewhere afterwards, or was it too hot for you being outside?

I see this weekend will have Fiesta del Sol in Pilsen as well as Jeff Fest in Jefferson Park; a couple of fests I have gone with my kids a few times in the recent past.

Old 07-27-2021, 01:21 PM

3,501 posts, read 3,133,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Jay View Post
quigboto, hey, good morning!

And thank you for sharing your review!!

I ended up not making it down to Chicago this weekend.... I did take my daughters on a paddle boat at Independence Grove in Libertyville, Ill., on Saturday.

BOY, WAS IT HOT THIS WEEKEND!!

Wicker park is not my normal stomping grounds. That said, I have ridden my bicycle past it a couple of times this year. It looks like a very nice park, and I imagine they must normally put on a decent festival... I think you are right that for many we are not exactly back to "normalcy" yet, so maybe that is why numbers are down.

I'm glad to hear you and your girlfriend were able to get outside and experience some fun, even if for an hour.... Did you go somewhere afterwards, or was it too hot for you being outside?

I see this weekend will have Fiesta del Sol in Pilsen as well as Jeff Fest in Jefferson Park; a couple of fests I have gone with my kids a few times in the recent past.
It wasn't too hot for walking around. We checked out some eating and drinking establishments nearby on Division Ave. Since we had paid for a few hours of parking in advance via SpotHero. We dropped in to see some friends of ours play music in the beer garden at Phyllis' Musical Inn, and then checked out Machine (fancy cocktails), The Perch, and Bangers and Lace. (The latter three we enjoyed in the comfort of the air conditioned interior)

Old 08-02-2021, 01:54 PM

884 posts, read 622,983 times
Unfortunately, it was announced that the 2021 Festa Italiana, which was scheduled to be held from Aug. 12-15, is being canceled.

This is the fest which is held along Taylor Street every summer. It marks the second consecutive year of cancellation for this celebration.

According to Onesti Entertainment, which sponsors this event, the main issue was difficulty in finding temporary workers for the fest.

The lingering effect of the pandemic.

Last edited by Nearwest; 08-02-2021 at 02:03 PM..

Old 08-02-2021, 03:27 PM

Nearwest, such SAD news you share!!! But thank you for updating us.

I had it tentatively written on my calendar.I also had Edison Park Fest and Libertyville Fest on that weekend, as historically they all fell on the same weekend.

I'll have to see if THOSE fests are still scheduled.

ALSO every year I go to Velika Gospa fest in the Croatian neighborhood near 28th and Princeton on August 15. My kids and I carried American and Croatian flags in the parade for the last few years, minus 2020, of course.

I hope we regain more normalcy. Wishing all of you the best!

Old 08-12-2021, 05:45 PM

Ok, team. Here we are! At 3:30 p.m. today I yelled, " Yabba Dabba Doo" and my mini vacation officially started.

I'll bring my kids to Libertyville Fest tomorrow, Friday.

Saturday will be church in Edison Park, and Edison Park Fest.

Sunday will be Velika Gospa Fest at St. Jerome Croatian Church on 28th and Princeton, and the plan is to walk in their parade at 10:30 a.m.

Get out there everyone. Enjoy this summer.

If I see you at any of these fests, we shall have a vino together, and toast to a great year!!

Old 08-15-2021, 08:03 PM

Hey team!

Libertyville Fest was good! Edison Park Fest, unfortunately still did not have a kids' section because of Covid. And we represented the Croatian heritage at the Velika Gospa.

A very good getaway for father and children!

I hope you all had a great weekend, and I wish you an equally great week!

Old 08-15-2021, 08:56 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
I biked past a decent sized Indian fest today in Buffalo Grove celebrating the 75th Anniversary of India's Independence.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:16 PM

MSchemist80, great weekend weather for biking!

Did you stop at all to watch any of the fest and/or try any foods?

Thank you for sharing!

P.S. Did you ever do the whole ride from The Chicago Botanical Gardens to Foster Park??

Old 08-16-2021, 06:18 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,422,206 times
My club was in the middle of a ride from Northbrook to Wauconda we just stopped at that park for rest rooms. We stayed for about 10 minutes.

Yes I used to bike the North Branch Trail frequently to the Botanical Gardens or south from Church/Dempster when I lived in Niles. I am not out that way frequently anymore since I moved to Lombard and I tend to avoid the multiuse trails. I find them a dangerous mix of walkers, inexperienced cyclists, roller bladers, dogs and obstacles like center posts. I prefer just riding residential and secondary roadways.

Last edited by MSchemist80; 08-16-2021 at 07:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago