Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 07:49 PM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times

Advertisements

My post was not serious. Perhaps you may want to re-read it? Not necessary, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2023, 08:21 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
I agree. I am not going to financially support the living expenses of people who are not my own family, and even supporting my own family would only be temporary.
Of course you are supporting them. Just look into how state/federal programs including disability ad SSI are being funded.

Old 09-13-2023, 08:58 AM

2,221 posts, read 1,330,555 times
I have no objection to our government supporting legal, responsible citizens who need help. The greatness of any society depends on how it treats its most vulnerable.

However, I vehemently object to supporting anyone (citizen or otherwise) who continues to procreate knowing they cannot afford to feed, house, clothe, and educate the children they bring into this world.

However, the U.S. will not take drastic measures other countries have taken to combat this problem. The U.S. will not require sterilisation. It will not take children away from these parents, which is probably just as well because it would then be 100% responsible for those children. It will not pass laws limiting the number of children anyone can bring into this world and punitively tax those parents who have more children than allowe, either. Sex education and family planning clinics have not solved the problem either. What else is there to do? Very little indeed.

No, I fear this is a problem that will plague all countries forever. The most opponents can do is to work to restrict and limit benefits as tightly as possible as a negative reinforcement instead of issuing more and more assistance to these families, because the more children these parents bring into the world, the more benefits they receive, obviously. I have seen housing assistance put families with 5 and more children into rental properties that even two working professional parents with only 1-2 children could only dream of leasing. It is grossly inequitable, and it makes responsible people think twice and question why they are working so hard and limiting their families to only those children they can actually afford to support.

Old 09-13-2023, 09:38 AM

24,478 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhinneyWalker View Post
I have no objection to our government supporting legal, responsible citizens who need help. The greatness of any society depends on how it treats its most vulnerable.

However, I vehemently object to supporting anyone (citizen or otherwise) who continues to procreate knowing they cannot afford to feed, house, clothe, and educate the children they bring into this world.

However, the U.S. will not take drastic measures other countries have taken to combat this problem. The U.S. will not require sterilisation. It will not take children away from these parents, which is probably just as well because it would then be 100% responsible for those children. It will not pass laws limiting the number of children anyone can bring into this world and punitively tax those parents who have more children than allowe, either. Sex education and family planning clinics have not solved the problem either. What else is there to do? Very little indeed.

No, I fear this is a problem that will plague all countries forever. The most opponents can do is to work to restrict and limit benefits as tightly as possible as a negative reinforcement instead of issuing more and more assistance to these families, because the more children these parents bring into the world, the more benefits they receive, obviously. I have seen housing assistance put families with 5 and more children into rental properties that even two working professional parents with only 1-2 children could only dream of leasing. It is grossly inequitable, and it makes responsible people think twice and question why they are working so hard and limiting their families to only those children they can actually afford to support.
Phinney - what do your rants have to do with OP's question?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Fort Worth