Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2014, 10:26 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times

Advertisements

Owl, my late wife did dressage and show jumping when she was younger. She'd given it up by the time we met but her jodhpurs and steel-lined derby were constant sources of entertainment for our sons when young.

What amazes me in these events is the bond established between horse and rider.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2014, 02:36 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,669,615 times
Yes- it is truly a strong bond and lots of cooperative training. The average person does not realize all the is involved. For starters, if the horse does not like the rider, no amount of effort will improve things. One instructor I had would say, 'there are no problem horses, just problem people.' I agree with that for the most part, my experiences have me in doubt for the rest of it. There was one horse at the school, he did not like women. He was a stubborn horse but would respond to a male rider with little issue, even beginners which is where one will really see the stubbornness of a horse.
I had one day when the trail ride filled up and the only horse left was him, Hubba was his name. So I had to ride him, first time too. Since there was so many riders, I had someone else lead trail and I brought up the back so I could keep an eye on everyone.
Hubba was not happy about that. He did fine during most of the ride, but when it came to crossing the ravine...he would have none of the wait stuff that is protocol. With 2 horses ahead, he did not want to wait any longer and no matter what I did to distract him or get him to mind, he was not having it and I got thrown. Worst of all my falls and I have had some doozies. But was not really injured, so all was well...for me. Now the horse had to really wait. Took him back to the top of the ravine and made him take very slow steps going across. He did not like it.

Old 03-12-2014, 05:38 PM

5,851 posts, read 5,276,683 times
I have been a long time member of another message board (over 10 years). While I enjoyed it for most of the time, things started going a little sour within the last 6 months or so. And for the past 5 years or so, most board members seem to have jumped shipped and went to Facebook-a place I don't like. The other day, I was Googling something and it lead me here. This looks like a place for me to hang out. Not only is it very active, it covers so many areas that I am interested in. The other board did cover a lot of area but with only a couple of people who may be interest in certain subjects, there really wasn't too much of a dialog.

As I am getting acquainted with this board, I told my husband about it. He joined this morning but hasn't posted yet. (I also introduced him to the other board).

About myself: I am a disable vet-legally blind, married to a retired college professor. (He was actually my professor-ooh scandalous ) I don't have any kids of my own but my husband has 4 kids from a previous marriage and we have 7 grandkids. (Yes, they call me "Grandma" which I think is WONDERFUL!!!!) We have 2 cats and we maybe getting a 3rd one soon. We have a business where we buy junk & sell antiques. We have a booth at a local antique's mall and we sell on eBay.

I come from a big family. I am the last of 6 kids. I always say that my parents saved the best for last. lol

We live in the BEAUTIFUL state of Vermont and usually spend the winters in Puerto Rico. My husband's mother was Puerto Rican and he has a lot of family there-especially his sister. (I have the worlds BEST sister-in-law).

At the moment we have 3 houses. We have the house we are living in now, our house in Puerto Rico, & an old Victorian that we are restoring and will move into shortly. Then this house will be sold. You can watch the renos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC01...F0RSJoysBP_ECs

Yeah, a shameless plug. My other shameless plug is that I like photography. You can see some of my photos here:

Flickr: CatwomanofV (AKA The Blind Photographer)'s Photostream

Oh yeah, I am also a witch. There is a lot more to me, but that's the basics.

Thanks for reading.

Cat

Old 03-12-2014, 06:14 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Hiya Cat, and welcome. Ditto to your hubbie.

Sounds like you live an interesting, full life. I share your interest in photography. Perhaps we can post a pic or two here, now and again.

Old 03-13-2014, 07:05 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Of the offspring; one, the middle child almost got married, was sort of pushed by the other side. He's a smart guy. Not that marriage is bad, but that he followed his heart. I would have been happy either way.

I love to play Scrabble...(cute story behind the name there MQ).....but, Sports?
I do not follow, could care less. The Olympics used to be fun to watch. I would rather participate in a sport than watch it. However, I mostly suck at all sports BUT...to watch and am good at- the equestrian sports; Western or English, trail or arena. Hunter-Jumper and Cross Country is my favorite.
Dressage used to bore me but then I went to a big show as a spectator and saw amazing things.
This was not the show I attended (I wish!), but it was stuff like this that opened my eyes and embedded a serious appreciation.
Don't stop watching when halfway through during the cool-down walk, the second half is more amazing than the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw

(proud momma) My daughter is taking after me. She is to attend the national awards; she is getting the 'over all best' award again. The first person to get it twice. She does trail eventing.

Congrats Miss Blue!

I'm on the bandwagon with the people who don't watch sports, either. As a matter of fact--and this might get me BANNED from City-Data since it's so anti-American--I DON'T WATCH THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!

I'm so excited to see other people who play Scrabble! I play with my mother because I don't know anyone else who will play with me (but I saw something about Scrabble at a library in a nearby town, and I'm going to check it out.) I visited my Mom last week and we played, and she beat me with a score of 435. She used all seven letters with the word beginning and ending on a triple. She is 85 years old.

Also--the horses! I rode since I was kid, but only Western style. My sister had a few horses, and I would tag along with her to the stables where she kept them and where she worked for a while. I have one daughter, now 22, who took English riding lessons and competed in shows as a young teenager. She also joined the equestrian team at her university for one year until she went to China to study (she has degrees in Mandarin and Linguistics) and when she came back, she decided it was too much with her workload at school. I believe she'll get back to it one of these days, but we go riding now and then together when we get a chance.

Oh, and when she was 13, we took a trip to Grand Bahama Island. There's a Scottish woman there who raises Appaloosas and who also offers trail rides through the coppice and out to the beach. Now THAT was a spiritual experience, in keeping with the forum we're on. I'm serious, it was. Our world is an amazing place, and the endless variety of plants and rocks and animals and bodies of water never fails to provide me with a sense of awe.

Congrats to your daughter, Owl. She's an accomplished rider!

Old 03-13-2014, 10:41 AM

WOW! I'm not the only one who doesn't watch the Super Bowl? I hate, hate, hate football. One time I was "forced" to watch a game. I was outnumbered let everyone know that I wasn't very happy about having to watch. Then something happened on the field and I said, "Oh, that's a touchback." Everyone in the room looked at me as if I had 3 heads and said, "No, that's not a touchback." Then the announcer said it was indeed a touchback. They all looked at me asked how the hell did I know that. I told them that I hate football. That doesn't mean that I don't know how the game is played.

The only sport that I follow is baseball. I like the Red Sox & the Mets. But, I usually just follow the scores then watch a game-but will watch once in a while. Don't usually watch the Olympics but I do like watching the figure skating & gymnastics.

Granddaughter #3 (who will be 7 next week) is taking horseback riding lessons and is taking to it. We are making sure that the grandkids have some kind of lesson. A few are really into gymnastics. Another is taking piano lessons and Granddaughter #4 (who will be 5 this weekend) is taking skiing lessons. I believe that EVERYONE needs some kind of creativity.

Cat

Old 03-13-2014, 12:16 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I have been a long time member of another message board (over 10 years). While I enjoyed it for most of the time, things started going a little sour within the last 6 months or so. And for the past 5 years or so, most board members seem to have jumped shipped and went to Facebook-a place I don't like. The other day, I was Googling something and it lead me here. This looks like a place for me to hang out. Not only is it very active, it covers so many areas that I am interested in. The other board did cover a lot of area but with only a couple of people who may be interest in certain subjects, there really wasn't too much of a dialog.

As I am getting acquainted with this board, I told my husband about it. He joined this morning but hasn't posted yet. (I also introduced him to the other board).

About myself: I am a disable vet-legally blind, married to a retired college professor. (He was actually my professor-ooh scandalous ) I don't have any kids of my own but my husband has 4 kids from a previous marriage and we have 7 grandkids. (Yes, they call me "Grandma" which I think is WONDERFUL!!!!) We have 2 cats and we maybe getting a 3rd one soon. We have a business where we buy junk & sell antiques. We have a booth at a local antique's mall and we sell on eBay.

I come from a big family. I am the last of 6 kids. I always say that my parents saved the best for last. lol

We live in the BEAUTIFUL state of Vermont and usually spend the winters in Puerto Rico. My husband's mother was Puerto Rican and he has a lot of family there-especially his sister. (I have the worlds BEST sister-in-law).

At the moment we have 3 houses. We have the house we are living in now, our house in Puerto Rico, & an old Victorian that we are restoring and will move into shortly. Then this house will be sold. You can watch the renos here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GC01...F0RSJoysBP_ECs

Yeah, a shameless plug. My other shameless plug is that I like photography. You can see some of my photos here:

Flickr: CatwomanofV (AKA The Blind Photographer)'s Photostream

Oh yeah, I am also a witch. There is a lot more to me, but that's the basics.

Thanks for reading.

Cat
Oh that house makes me drool with envy. Its SO beautiful. Please post updates. And yeah, I'd do a clensing ritual and maybe a smuging to start with. I can just imagine sitting up in that widows peak and just feeling all the memories in that house.

My great aunt had a house from the early century and it had a back staircase. My cousins and I thought it must have been put there just for us. We didn't get how adults might find it steep. And I remember the covered staircase in the front it and other houses of the era had. You could shut a door and close off the stairs.

I love the feel of old houses, that sense that someone's been there before, loved it before, that life has happened. Its what I felt in mine from the day I walked in with the real estate person.

You are truely inspiring me to get back to work on my house. I decided it should be painted bright yellow with white trim, and a neighbor's mom lived in it when it was new, and guess what, it was yellow. Probably not so bright but then they did use bright colors in the 30's. I didn't mention that there is the residual presense of an older woman who is dressed of that time in the kitchen. I did mention the old man who is still in the front bedroom and someone said that was creepy...

I'm hoping to do something with the kitchen to match the style but just having some shelves and cuppords would do now. But warm season is coming and I found all my tools already.

congrats on finding such a wonderful prize.

Old 03-13-2014, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Oh that house makes me drool with envy. Its SO beautiful. Please post updates. And yeah, I'd do a clensing ritual and maybe a smuging to start with. I can just imagine sitting up in that widows peak and just feeling all the memories in that house.

My great aunt had a house from the early century and it had a back staircase. My cousins and I thought it must have been put there just for us. We didn't get how adults might find it steep. And I remember the covered staircase in the front it and other houses of the era had. You could shut a door and close off the stairs.

I love the feel of old houses, that sense that someone's been there before, loved it before, that life has happened. Its what I felt in mine from the day I walked in with the real estate person.

You are truely inspiring me to get back to work on my house. I decided it should be painted bright yellow with white trim, and a neighbor's mom lived in it when it was new, and guess what, it was yellow. Probably not so bright but then they did use bright colors in the 30's. I didn't mention that there is the residual presense of an older woman who is dressed of that time in the kitchen. I did mention the old man who is still in the front bedroom and someone said that was creepy...

I'm hoping to do something with the kitchen to match the style but just having some shelves and cuppords would do now. But warm season is coming and I found all my tools already.

congrats on finding such a wonderful prize.

Thanks for your comment about the house. BTW, did you see the other videos? There are 9 all together (click on the link). When you watch all the videos you can really see the house coming together. We are hoping to be in to the house in the next month or so.

Houses are great-and they are NEVER done. There is always something to do. I would love to see pics of yours.

Cat

Old 03-13-2014, 12:37 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,249,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
WOW! I'm not the only one who doesn't watch the Super Bowl? I hate, hate, hate football. One time I was "forced" to watch a game. I was outnumbered let everyone know that I wasn't very happy about having to watch. Then something happened on the field and I said, "Oh, that's a touchback." Everyone in the room looked at me as if I had 3 heads and said, "No, that's not a touchback." Then the announcer said it was indeed a touchback. They all looked at me asked how the hell did I know that. I told them that I hate football. That doesn't mean that I don't know how the game is played.

The only sport that I follow is baseball. I like the Red Sox & the Mets. But, I usually just follow the scores then watch a game-but will watch once in a while. Don't usually watch the Olympics but I do like watching the figure skating & gymnastics.

Granddaughter #3 (who will be 7 next week) is taking horseback riding lessons and is taking to it. We are making sure that the grandkids have some kind of lesson. A few are really into gymnastics. Another is taking piano lessons and Granddaughter #4 (who will be 5 this weekend) is taking skiing lessons. I believe that EVERYONE needs some kind of creativity.

Cat
Oklahoma is sports central, so I record the news and fast forward through all the sports. Don't like football, can't stand basketball and used to watch baseball. At least its more civilized. I watched all the figure skating at the olympics and nothing more. Summer ones I follow the gynmastics.

At least when they show some sports game everyone is supposed to be watching, the competition usually runs a few good movies for us malcontents.

I took riding lessons as a teen and we jumped. I can still remember how to ride, apparently. A few years ago at a Jericho convention, we could go riding. I was the only one who'd ever ridden so I got the 'lively' horse and wasn't so sure about it but once we got out of the paddock it came back.

My chief hobby being practiced right now is crocheting. I am finishing up the couch cushion covers, and one for my decrept but comfortable desk chair. Then I have several afgans promised. It sure is neat, though, when someone says they still use the blanket I made for them. My son took a month to get his back from his cousin who'd been using it while he was away.

I can't imagine not having a lot of creative directions, even if not all of them are being used at the moment.

Old 03-13-2014, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Oklahoma is sports central, so I record the news and fast forward through all the sports. Don't like football, can't stand basketball and used to watch baseball. At least its more civilized. I watched all the figure skating at the olympics and nothing more. Summer ones I follow the gynmastics.

At least when they show some sports game everyone is supposed to be watching, the competition usually runs a few good movies for us malcontents.

I took riding lessons as a teen and we jumped. I can still remember how to ride, apparently. A few years ago at a Jericho convention, we could go riding. I was the only one who'd ever ridden so I got the 'lively' horse and wasn't so sure about it but once we got out of the paddock it came back.

My chief hobby being practiced right now is crocheting. I am finishing up the couch cushion covers, and one for my decrept but comfortable desk chair. Then I have several afgans promised. It sure is neat, though, when someone says they still use the blanket I made for them. My son took a month to get his back from his cousin who'd been using it while he was away.

I can't imagine not having a lot of creative directions, even if not all of them are being used at the moment.

Oklahoma eh? Used to live there (Tulsa) back in the dark ages. I still have a sister, 3 nieces, & a cousin & his family who live there.

My mother crocheted and man, she could make just about anything. I always marveled at her talent. She never taught any of us.

Cat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism