Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2014, 05:00 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,195,004 times

Advertisements

Today, for the first time, I noticed the Atheist sub-forum had a chat thread on the go. I know our hard working mods discourage chat threads on the main Religion and Spirituality forum and assumed the same rules applied in the sub-forums. So, I was surprised and pleased to see those rascally Atheists had one.

"Why not," sez I to myself, "start one in the Pagan forum? Maybe we can get to know the folks behind the nicknames a little better if we had a place where we can mentions stuff like work, or kids, or grandkids, or hobbies etc."

Naturally, it would be open for those of any, or no faith, to participate.

So...

How's it goin' eh?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2014, 08:04 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
Good idea!
I've noticed that most of us who participate in the pagan forum have nature inspired names. How was such a name decided upon?
My handle is a play on words. 'Ka' is the main focus; it means spirit in ancient Egyptian and Hebrew. The Egyptians made busts of a person to 'hold' thier Ka when they died so that the person would always be 'present'. In Jewish mysticism there is the Merkaba; a ethereal vessel that one could move through space and time.
Owl- is owl obviously, but in association to me personally, I'm a 'night owl'. However, the owl is also associated with magic and wisdom.
Myst, as in mystic; more magic and mystery plus spiritualism.
Put it all together and the play makes it Alchemist. I really admire the alchemists of old. They understood that there is some unseen force that goes beyond the knowledge of science.

Now the mundane:
I'm a mom of three grown offspring; 2 boys and a baby girl who graduates high school this year. I have a zoo; a dog, a cat, the daughter has a cat, a African Grey parrot, a Redfooted tortoise, bearded dragon, 2 leopard geckos and 12 chickens.
First generation Californian; mom from the Midwest, dad from the Phillipeans. Such a mix is called 'Hapa'.
I have always stated that my life is an open book- want to know something? Just ask.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:56 AM

Interesting stuff about your chosen nick, Owl. I've been involved in message boards and/or IRC for about 15 years and usually choose a animal or fish-themed name. I wrote a book about fishing and have become something of a naturalist (not to be confused with a naturist...) since retiring a few years ago.

I have two grown sons. My wife passed away six years ago but I've met another woman with whom to share this stage of my journey.

I live in a beautiful part of the country on the shores of a fine lake containing several species of game fish. I'm surrounded by woods and rivers and wildlife abounds. I spend a chunk of every day watching and photographing the various critters in the area.

Life is good.

Now if only this winter would show signs of abating....

Old 03-11-2014, 01:20 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
I've been on boards since the eighties and local bbs's. I've been Nightbird since then. I lost the copy of the song, but wrote one about the magic of night. Still a night owl, even moreso now, and when all the *noise* of the day is done, I like the quiet. I feel free to fly at night.

My son got married our in California a couple of weeks ago during the attack of the polar express. I didn't get there with the weather but it was very bad timing. We've had some warm days and I'm starting to untangle all the projects to fix up the house which got religated to a corner when this winter hit. I left California to get away from the 'noise' there too, and despite the strong christan leanings here, feel its very spiritual. I had windoes and doorways salted once, and a visitor looking at how to fix my door which didn't shut right he noticed and came and did a smugging. It was very peaceful after that.

I call myself eclectic wiccan, but am light on ceremony. Once I have most of the house done, I'm going to do one, but it was an old house and that's slow progress. But I've done all I could myself and that is important to me. But I can get inspiration from a full alter or singing a chant to the lady moon.

What I want is to be able to go to a few science fiction cons, not the media centered ones, where my true family lives. I first felt at home in fandom, where I was fully myself and everyone was fine with it. Its still the family I'll never lose. There IS a nightbird outfit, Black crosheted coat much like the turn of the centry style, tall black boots and black outfit under, but nickers and a shirt. and a hat. gotta have a hat.

Oh, I crochet for a hobby and as an obsession. Almost got the Dominion war trek uniform finished. I have two family requests for blankets waiting.

I'm still trying to get my head around having a daughter in law...

Old 03-11-2014, 06:28 PM

Hi nightbird. I'm sure you'll wrap your mind around having a daughter-in-law. I envy you. Neither of my lads is involved in a serious relationship that might result in me dandling a grandchild on my knee.

And I'm darned ready! I've got eyes to widen with some of my stories of The Ones That Got Away - And Other Tall Tales.

Can't help but notice there's quite a few views for this thread compared to the number of replies. Which makes me wonder if being a pagan is still equivalent to "heathen" or "unbeliever" or "devil spawn worthy only of eternal torment in hellfire" in some folks' view?

I'd like to think not.

Maybe some folks don't want to reveal any details of their rl-selves. That's fine too. Talk about the weather. Sports. Man's inhumanity to man. The relationship between the sexes.

Or sports!

Old 03-11-2014, 06:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post

Or sports!

Pagans follow sports? NOOOOOOOOO!

Old 03-11-2014, 08:13 PM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Good idea!
I've noticed that most of us who participate in the pagan forum have nature inspired names. How was such a name decided upon?
My handle is a play on words. 'Ka' is the main focus; it means spirit in ancient Egyptian and Hebrew. The Egyptians made busts of a person to 'hold' thier Ka when they died so that the person would always be 'present'. In Jewish mysticism there is the Merkaba; a ethereal vessel that one could move through space and time.
Owl- is owl obviously, but in association to me personally, I'm a 'night owl'. However, the owl is also associated with magic and wisdom.
Myst, as in mystic; more magic and mystery plus spiritualism.
Put it all together and the play makes it Alchemist. I really admire the alchemists of old. They understood that there is some unseen force that goes beyond the knowledge of science.

Now the mundane:
I'm a mom of three grown offspring; 2 boys and a baby girl who graduates high school this year. I have a zoo; a dog, a cat, the daughter has a cat, a African Grey parrot, a Redfooted tortoise, bearded dragon, 2 leopard geckos and 12 chickens.
First generation Californian; mom from the Midwest, dad from the Phillipeans. Such a mix is called 'Hapa'.
I have always stated that my life is an open book- want to know something? Just ask.
And "Ka" is such a great two-letter word for Scrabble!

But seriously, I "got" your name when I first saw it, and I thought it was very clever.

No ethereal beginnings for my screen name. When my daughter, now in her early twenties, was small, I used to tell her she had to say "Thank you Mommy whom I love and adore and who is the Mighty Queen." She would get very angry at me and yell, "You're not a queen! You're just a regular mother!" When I first needed a screen name for the Internet, Mighty Queen came to mind; however, someone on the site I was using already had it, so I added my birthday.

Old 03-11-2014, 09:39 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,514,650 times
Very good chat thread. Wasn't going to interfere...but ...since Trout mentioned grandchildren it opened the door for me to brag that it was just confirmed last night that my third great grandbaby is in the oven and will be finished sometime in mid November.

I raised my own 4 children and 5 of the nine grandkids and often babysit the 2 great grand sons. I wonder sometimes what they mean by "empty nest syndrome". Two of my grandsons live with me. One is paralyzed from a diving accident 12 years ago.

Ok, I will be quiet now

Old 03-12-2014, 12:11 AM

3,751 posts, read 7,675,837 times
Of the offspring; one, the middle child almost got married, was sort of pushed by the other side. He's a smart guy. Not that marriage is bad, but that he followed his heart. I would have been happy either way.

I love to play Scrabble...(cute story behind the name there MQ).....but, Sports?
I do not follow, could care less. The Olympics used to be fun to watch. I would rather participate in a sport than watch it. However, I mostly suck at all sports BUT...to watch and am good at- the equestrian sports; Western or English, trail or arena. Hunter-Jumper and Cross Country is my favorite.
Dressage used to bore me but then I went to a big show as a spectator and saw amazing things.
This was not the show I attended (I wish!), but it was stuff like this that opened my eyes and embedded a serious appreciation.
Don't stop watching when halfway through during the cool-down walk, the second half is more amazing than the first.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKQgTiqhPbw

(proud momma) My daughter is taking after me. She is to attend the national awards; she is getting the 'over all best' award again. The first person to get it twice. She does trail eventing.

Congrats Miss Blue!

Old 03-12-2014, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Blue View Post
Very good chat thread. Wasn't going to interfere...but ...since Trout mentioned grandchildren it opened the door for me to brag that it was just confirmed last night that my third great grandbaby is in the oven and will be finished sometime in mid November.

I raised my own 4 children and 5 of the nine grandkids and often babysit the 2 great grand sons. I wonder sometimes what they mean by "empty nest syndrome". Two of my grandsons live with me. One is paralyzed from a diving accident 12 years ago.

Ok, I will be quiet now
All are welcome to post, Miss Blue. You're hardly "interfering."

Bless you for going the extra miles with your grandchildren. It must be very difficult at times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism