Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2024, 01:44 AM

32 posts, read 24,059 times

Advertisements

I have been searching over the last few months for a home to buy and I've gotta say that there has to be something better than zillow right? You can go for hundreds of miles without seeing ANY listings, no matter how much you have to spend.
Just wondering if someone might know of a listing site map system better than zillow? Anywhere in the Plains to the Rockies that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2024, 07:14 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,384,833 times
Never forget that Zillow doesn't create/use/maintain the mapping system. Typically, they license the use of existing systems like Google Maps. I am responding to the thread title. If you meant something else, please clarify.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:12 AM

6,495 posts, read 10,384,833 times
My thought is to hire a realtor who specializes in the market that you are looking in and let them do the research as your realtor. Don't expect the listing agent of a home for sale to look for you. Your agent has access to many more resources than you as a buyer will have.

Old 05-04-2024, 11:28 AM

14,551 posts, read 12,192,089 times
If you're scrolling hundreds of miles on a zillow map without seeing listings, check your search parameters.

Old Yesterday, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
If you're scrolling hundreds of miles on a zillow map without seeing listings, check your search parameters.

Thank you but no, already have. What I'm finding is there are not enough listings.

So, what you are saying is as far as you know zillow has the most then?

Old Yesterday, 05:09 AM

1,434 posts, read 766,406 times
My experience over the last year is all major websites have all the same listings. I don't think I ever saw one on realtor.com that wasn't also on zillow.com or redfin.com or vice versa.

Old Yesterday, 07:49 AM

43,359 posts, read 77,240,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
My experience over the last year is all major websites have all the same listings. I don't think I ever saw one on realtor.com that wasn't also on zillow.com or redfin.com or vice versa.
They all pull from the same MLSs.
Other than basics, they get to choose how many data fields they pull from MLS, but still the data pools available to the sites are the same.
Generally, they cannot insert proprietary content into the data they present. Their content has to be separate from the MLS data.

The reasons to choose from any one of those sites over others are a bit subjective, personal preferences. I value fast loading, good formatting, good photo presentation, and easy access to mapping.

Old Yesterday, 09:17 AM

They all have the same listings. That’s pretty much what MLS means.

The various websites are offering different interfaces, but they are all going to have the same houses for sale and none are going to have any that the others don’t also have.

Lack of available houses for sale is a problem that’s common in many markets. That’s why prices have been going up.

Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM

Diana, Why then on individual real estate company's sites (say Davis Realtors Donnel, IL) there will be many different additional homes for sale, with pictures and numbers? Are you saying they are not on MLS yet? Or in some cases never will be (because I've noticed many of the same being on for months) Also these interfaces maybe do make a difference because of more being on one than another. Thanks

Old Yesterday, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneServant View Post
Diana, Why then on individual real estate company's sites (say Davis Realtors Donnel, IL) there will be many different additional homes for sale, with pictures and numbers? Are you saying they are not on MLS yet? Or in some cases never will be (because I've noticed many of the same being on for months) Also these interfaces maybe do make a difference because of more being on one than another. Thanks

Give me links with examples if you want me to answer.... I don't want to go blind on a treasure hunt. I'm guessing the answer is in your search parameters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate