Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 12:16 AM

950 posts, read 692,952 times

Advertisements

Do any of you go to an occult supply shop on a regular basis? I used to go to one locally but the shop discontinued several years ago. When I used to frequent it I used to go mostly for a special candle which the lady made herself. The candle spells seemed to work and I felt I got my money's worth. No it's not that the candle goes everything for me. Because in order to achieve my goal I still have to make efforts myself.
So who of you go to occult shops? And how do you spend your time there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2019, 06:48 AM

88,605 posts, read 84,838,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monastic555 View Post
Do any of you go to an occult supply shop on a regular basis? I used to go to one locally but the shop discontinued several years ago. When I used to frequent it I used to go mostly for a special candle which the lady made herself. The candle spells seemed to work and I felt I got my money's worth. No it's not that the candle goes everything for me. Because in order to achieve my goal I still have to make efforts myself.
So who of you go to occult shops? And how do you spend your time there?
There's a shop not far from me called Earth Spirit. They have candles and incense, crystals/stones, books, music, some clothing, beautiful cloth wall hangings, cards. I like rune stones and got a set there. They also have all sorts of variations of tarot cards. They sell items from different religious traditions, including Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Native spirituality items. Nice jewelry, too. It's a great place for gifts.

The shop also gives Reiki classes and has a regular group of psychics/readers who do 10-minute readings for $20 or you can arrange for longer sessions.

I often meet my WTC friend for lunch at one of the restaurants on the street and then we go over and spend too much money.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:29 AM

1,096 posts, read 418,919 times
There used to be several good shops in my area. One was a large crystal and gem shop, huge assortment. They also sold a large number of books, tarot decks, candles, statues, jewelry, decor, gifts and held classes but its not there anymore. There is a tiny shop that doesn't really have a lot of anything. They will place an order for me though so if I want a tarot deck or something they'll get it and with a little bit of a discount. Also one of the used bookstores in my area can get me any book I need or tarot deck, also with a discount. Other than that I'd have to order online. As is all too common, all the stores outside of big box stores gradually wind up closing up.

Old 08-11-2019, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeemoments View Post
There used to be several good shops in my area. One was a large crystal and gem shop, huge assortment. They also sold a large number of books, tarot decks, candles, statues, jewelry, decor, gifts and held classes but its not there anymore. There is a tiny shop that doesn't really have a lot of anything. They will place an order for me though so if I want a tarot deck or something they'll get it and with a little bit of a discount. Also one of the used bookstores in my area can get me any book I need or tarot deck, also with a discount. Other than that I'd have to order online. As is all too common, all the stores outside of big box stores gradually wind up closing up.
That's what I love about where my Earth Spirit shop is. It's the opposite of that. The town that it's located in (Red Bank, NJ) had become rundown, but as the area began to be seen as an extension of the NYC metro area over the past 20 - 25 years, and more commuters moved down toward the Jersey shore, it was redeveloped and enjoyed a rebirth. It's all small shops and restaurants, very walkable, has two theaters, one of which gets some well-known entertainers who can still fill a theater if not an arena, and has a small movie theater that shows indy films. Lots of local art, etc. I buy my wine at a shop there that sells only wines from smaller, lesser-known vineyards, and they have a great music store with vintage vinyl and CDs as well as instruments and new music that I could get lost in for hours. There's also a place called Yestercades with vintage arcade games.

I am not a big-box store shopper, nor do I like malls, so if I need something, I tend to go to the local places. Besides, you find the coolest stuff at out-of-the-way antique shops and thrift stores.

Old 08-11-2019, 09:35 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,029,470 times
I used to work in a metaphysical shop, and even then, I would get most of my supplies from the Lucky Mojo website. Their fixed and dressed candles and other supplies are IMO the real deal.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:44 AM

950 posts, read 692,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irootoo View Post
I used to work in a metaphysical shop, and even then, I would get most of my supplies from the Lucky Mojo website. Their fixed and dressed candles and other supplies are IMO the real deal.
Compared to those websites, I much prefer going to an actual brick-and-mortar shop because when I used to go to the discontinued shop, I could actually watch them dress the candles in those herbs and etchings.

Old 08-11-2019, 11:51 AM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
I would if I could. There are a couple of shops fairly close by-one is a mostly a rock shop (which I LOVE) and other used to be owned by my massage therapist-which they do sell crystals, candles, incense & such. I'm not too sure if either one sells Tarots and such like that. My issue is getting there because I don't drive and my chauffeur hates to shop. But it is probably a good thing that I can't get to those stores because I would probably spend WAY too much money.

Cat

Old 08-11-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatwomanofV View Post
I would if I could. There are a couple of shops fairly close by-one is a mostly a rock shop (which I LOVE) and other used to be owned by my massage therapist-which they do sell crystals, candles, incense & such. I'm not too sure if either one sells Tarots and such like that. My issue is getting there because I don't drive and my chauffeur hates to shop. But it is probably a good thing that I can't get to those stores because I would probably spend WAY too much money.

Cat
OH, you would be jealous of me if you saw where I went last week. It was an annual rock/crystal/gem show. I got a piece of blue lace agate from Nambia, some fluorine from China for my daughter, a "Herkimer diamond" from upstate New York, a piece of flint from Dover, England, and a larimar ring from the Dominican Republic. Also got a fossilized tooth of a Mosasaur (ancient marine reptile) from Morocco that I bought for the person at whose home I was staying.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:52 PM

5,853 posts, read 5,284,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
OH, you would be jealous of me if you saw where I went last week. It was an annual rock/crystal/gem show. I got a piece of blue lace agate from Nambia, some fluorine from China for my daughter, a "Herkimer diamond" from upstate New York, a piece of flint from Dover, England, and a larimar ring from the Dominican Republic. Also got a fossilized tooth of a Mosasaur (ancient marine reptile) from Morocco that I bought for the person at whose home I was staying.
You are right, I am jealous. I have ALWAYS loved rocks-even as a kid. Of course my sister & I joke, "I got a rock" from Charlie Brown Halloween-but sometimes when I say that, it is a GOOD thing. Our RV is covered in rocks that we have picked up along our travels.

Hubby & I have talked about going over to NY and go "mining" for Herkimer diamonds. It is less than 2 hours from here but we just haven't done it-YET. We did go "mining" in NH a couple of years ago. It was funny because everyone was coming up to us to ask us questions as if we knew something. People would ask us what we had found. I said, "Rocks." It was mostly quartz & mica.

Cat

Old 08-11-2019, 04:38 PM

1,096 posts, read 418,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That's what I love about where my Earth Spirit shop is. It's the opposite of that. The town that it's located in (Red Bank, NJ) had become rundown, but as the area began to be seen as an extension of the NYC metro area over the past 20 - 25 years, and more commuters moved down toward the Jersey shore, it was redeveloped and enjoyed a rebirth. It's all small shops and restaurants, very walkable, has two theaters, one of which gets some well-known entertainers who can still fill a theater if not an arena, and has a small movie theater that shows indy films. Lots of local art, etc. I buy my wine at a shop there that sells only wines from smaller, lesser-known vineyards, and they have a great music store with vintage vinyl and CDs as well as instruments and new music that I could get lost in for hours. There's also a place called Yestercades with vintage arcade games.

I am not a big-box store shopper, nor do I like malls, so if I need something, I tend to go to the local places. Besides, you find the coolest stuff at out-of-the-way antique shops and thrift stores.

You are so fortunate that the area is having a rebirth and the smaller shops are thriving. I love towns like that! And I looove antique shops and going to yard sales. This summer, I promised myself I wouldn't go cause I'm supposed to be getting rid of things not adding more but its so hard. We're moving a year from now. I can't wait till we're in our new place and can do that again. I like to pick up things like necklaces with great beads, cut the necklace apart and use the beads in crazy quilting or craft projects. Saves a lot over the beads they sell in stores and I get more One time I found a little cast iron cauldron at a garage sale. Its only about 3 1/2" wide and I think it was under a buck. So fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Paganism