Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland
 [Register]
Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland Calvert County, Charles County, Montgomery County, and Prince George's County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2023, 12:00 PM

1,202 posts, read 789,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We just came back from a visit and I think I would agree with you. Boston drivers are terrible, but intentionally terrible. Maryland drivers are oblivious and terrible at operating a car or truck. Also what is with the honking?

It does not help that the roads are really poorly laid out.
The consensus in MD is that while MD drivers are not great, places like FL and TN are actually worse.

The bolded part definitely doesn't help, though. 90% of the major roads were built in 1960s and haven't been improved since. Population in MD since almost doubled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2023, 12:14 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
We just came back from a visit and I think I would agree with you. Boston drivers are terrible, but intentionally terrible. Maryland drivers are oblivious and terrible at operating a car or truck. Also what is with the honking?

Many Maryland roads were not 'laid out' They were started out as animal trails, then native trails, which grew into riding trails and wagon roads and were eventually paved. Many have been straightened or upgraded but the core routes were based on historic needs.

Old 11-27-2023, 02:49 PM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
Many Maryland roads were not 'laid out' They were started out as animal trails, then native trails, which grew into riding trails and wagon roads and were eventually paved. Many have been straightened or upgraded but the core routes were based on historic needs.
That's the way it was in a lot of states east of the Mississippi.

Then in Maryland for a long time roads weren't really built. I want to go from where I am to, say, Solomon's I'd just hop into my catboat and sail down Bay.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:40 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,293,992 times
Living between PA and WV, all I can say for MD roads is "Thank you!" Traffic is often not a result of poor road construction or maintenance, but overcrowding because of commuters.

MD drivers are often assertive, because driving on beltways and roads like I-95 require it. Try to "drive defensively" and you'll end up going 20 miles below the speed of traffic and clogging the exit lanes.......which makes you the hazard. Much of what I think causes people to think of MDers as being "bad drivers" is that they are bad drivers themselves, just folks putzing along blindly on roads that have far more volume of traffic than they are used to, and being upset that assertive drivers are doing what they need to do to create space for themselves, make sure they don't have to change lanes too quickly, or have to get in a lane because the only window is small, etc.

Yes, many people with MD tags are the ones I am complaining about..............I would argue most have not been "Marylanders" for any length of time.

Old 11-29-2023, 05:11 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
I haven’t traveled by car in other parts of the country in a while, but do you have the feeling that what I see in poor Maryland is also happening everywhere, or is it just Maryland that looks like some of the worst third world countries?
You need to live in a good school district in Maryland if you want to be around better quality people.

It's all about socioeconomics in this state.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:21 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phorlan View Post
I find Maryland to be extremely backwards as far as noise is concerned.
I live in Greenbelt and the number of poor losers circulating with cars having modified exhaust systems is overwhelming. Cops don't seem to mind illegal exhausts, since the State doesn't seem to stand behind them on this issue.I don't know what to think of a society not really able to actually control the noise made by cars?? If you can’t control that, what can you control? How hard is it to actually mandate exhaust inspection? It could be done when you take the emission test, for example. I commute every day from Greenbelt to Towson, and what I see on the Parkway and 695 is truly sad, a pure reflection of the state in which our society is, total decay. Wild imbecile individualism at its worst. I was born and raised between France and Italy, I'm used to speed. I don't mind speed when it's done in a way that is clean and organized. Driving in Germany on the right lane and being passed on the left on the Autobahn by guys driving at 150 mph doesn’t bother me a bit. What I see on our road are morons zigzagging in total disrespect of other people’s life with two tons vehicles prone to roll over. .I drive at 65 mph, speed limit is 55, I’m basically following traffic most of the time on the right lane and I seem to be too slow. I’ve had people passing me on the left, so driving at least at 75 judging by their speed, while some other idiot, who couldn’t wait for that guy to pass me on the left, decides to pass me on the right, so driving on the shoulder, even faster. Yes sir on the shoulder, that happens every day, more than once. Then I watch those two ugly retards race each other away and zagging, between cars, clearly we’re commuting but those wandering shreds of human being think they’re in a video game. I haven’t traveled by car in other parts of the country in a while, but do you have the feeling that what I see in poor Maryland is also happening everywhere, or is it just Maryland that looks like some of the worst third world countries?
Maryland--outside of Baltimore is the least poor-looking state you will find pretty much.

The drivers here suck but they're not really very fast. In MA NY CT NJ 75-85 is the norm on the highways.

Car exhaust and Car noise is worse in many other states.

Old 11-29-2023, 10:24 AM

21,626 posts, read 12,718,846 times
Quote:

No Bostondrivers are agressive and will wilfully break a law if theres no cops around. And it wll only inconvenince 1 other person. Illegal U turn, run a red light late at night..things like that.

Generally highly highly skilled fast drivers. Lowest auto accident rate in the nation. And we're the most liekly to be insured.

Maryland drivers are just absolutely unpredictable and flat-out terrible. I've never seen so much reckless errant behavior or car accidents. its beyond absurd. I've been hit 3 times here none at fault, every single person had fake insurance, fake id or no insurance. Incredible.

MD is also full of fake temporary license plates from various states, smh. But really I understand why you all have traffic cameras down here. Its way beyond bad driving down here.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:25 AM

58,966 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
Maryland just have bad drivers lol...although NoVA one aren't that much better nor DC one.

But trust me, you'll see similar crappy driving even in Texas.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, but TBH 695 is just awful overall. Worse than Capital Beltway (495).
Most don't realize how many who live in Md are from other states.

Old 11-30-2023, 11:28 AM

58,966 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1.. View Post
LOL, then you need to go to NYC and Ma!
Try Boston!

Old 12-01-2023, 04:49 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
The average Maryland driver is no worse than anywhere else. There’s just too*many bad ones making them all look bad. The same could be said for other places too. That said, the-places where I saw a higher percentage of bad drivers than Maryland was Orlando and Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maryland > Washington, DC suburbs in Maryland