Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2008, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 18,860 times

Advertisements

I no longer live in Augusta but grew up there as a kid. I remember the Weis drive-in on the southside, the Hilltop across the river, Bobby Jones expressway ending at Deans Bridge Rd, Washington Rd ending at Lake Olmsted (no JC expressway). I also remember the Regency Mall, so sad what it became. I remember the theaters too: Southgate, Daniel Village (my first date there too), National Hills and the ones downtown showing the karate flicks in the early and mid 70s. I remember the Capri Cinema too when it was ummmm.....a different kind of movie theater. Lastly, the whole downtown area when Sears, JC Penny, Davidsons and Cullums to mention a few all resided there and I spent summers hanging out at the Uptowner Inn swimming in the pool.

Time marches on but memories remain. Awesome thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 06:07 PM

765 posts, read 1,910,483 times
Man i forgot about kung foo theater .... and sneaking a glance into the disco tech .. I saw my first pair of boobs waiting on my ride home..

Old 03-01-2009, 07:47 AM

16 posts, read 44,197 times
They should redevelop the Regency Mall area. I hate to see certain parts of a city get neglected and the other areas get developed. I think regency being reopened would be better for traffic for those people that live on the southside of town having to go all the way to the augusta mall to shop and enjoy entertainment.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:58 PM

1,303 posts, read 3,855,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getitdone75 View Post
They should redevelop the Regency Mall area. I hate to see certain parts of a city get neglected and the other areas get developed. I think regency being reopened would be better for traffic for those people that live on the southside of town having to go all the way to the augusta mall to shop and enjoy entertainment.
The Regency mall is privately Owned by a group called Cardinal Properties.. apparently they don't think it is worth the investment to redevelop the mall at this time. It obviously failed as a mall for a reason, so it is unlikely we would see another mall there. The city has reassessed their property taxes and now values the sit at $16 mill... which will quadruple Cardinals property taxes. Hopefully that will provide some motivation for Cardinal to redevelop it to an income generating property or sell it to a group who will.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:11 PM

1 posts, read 7,160 times
I was stationed at Fort Gordon in 1966 and have been trying to find photos of the Broad St. area from that time. A few of the places I do remember was the USO Club and the Whisk a Go Go, Also, seem to remember a restaurant or diner named the Brass Rail and a place called Banks Cafe. These were all on Broad St. I believe.

Old 08-12-2009, 07:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,086 times
Regency Mall was far better than Augusta mall! I spent many days and nights in the best mall in Augusta! Fun and games arcade ruled. We,could always get snacks at hickory farms in the mall.My friend worked at Dipper Dans.I loved the Regency Mall!!

Old 09-07-2009, 11:40 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,264,145 times
A thread I can sink my teeth in.

I grew up in Augusta and remember:

Dr. Tom dispensing coke and sundaes along with prescriptions at National Hills Pharmacy. That place was ground zero for people looking for Master's badges back then too.

Trooper Terry and Saturday morning cartoons. The holy grail of an Augusta kid was to be invited to a birthday party on his show and get to tune in the "Magic Viewing Screen".

Schwartz's delicatessen where I had my first pizza.

National Hill's toy store where a kid could touch things before having to buy them.

Jarrell's curb market across the street right next door to First Federal Savings. You could buy beer there on Sunday if Mr. Jarrell knew you (don't tell anyone).

Kelly's hamburgers.

Green's drive in on East Boundry.

Banks cafe. My family were friends with Bobby Banks and he was the principal of Tutt Jr. High and Westside high while I attended. He (to my knowledge) never told my parents of my hijinks during my time there.

Good Ale Inn on Sand Bar Ferry road. They didn't check IDs on prom night if you were dressed right.

Snappy's hamburgers next to the Imperial Theater.

Madison Woo's restaurant (I can't remember the name) on Walton Way. His pretty daughter Michelle.

The Continental restaurant at the airport.

The Shirley Hotel..well everybody knew what that place really was.

Man I could go on for a while.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:07 PM

Remember Duff's rotating Buffet ?
Duke's
The Cup n Saucer
Pig n Whistle

Old 09-09-2009, 11:35 AM

250 posts, read 580,441 times
regency mall---"oh calcutta!"
where else can you buy ninja stars and samurai swords?

Old 09-09-2009, 02:17 PM

Yeah and there was that great New York Style Pizza Place in Regency Mall.... Dino's I believe it was called.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area