Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 15,734 times

Advertisements

I would really like for someone to post memories of old froholler neighborhood. I grew up there, but since then, it was just forgotten. I would really love to see some old photographs of that area. I have lots of memories in my heart..I guess you just have to remember them there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2009, 07:37 PM

1 posts, read 15,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
A thread I can sink my teeth in.

I grew up in Augusta and remember:

Dr. Tom dispensing coke and sundaes along with prescriptions at National Hills Pharmacy. That place was ground zero for people looking for Master's badges back then too.

Trooper Terry and Saturday morning cartoons. The holy grail of an Augusta kid was to be invited to a birthday party on his show and get to tune in the "Magic Viewing Screen".

Schwartz's delicatessen where I had my first pizza.

National Hill's toy store where a kid could touch things before having to buy them.

Jarrell's curb market across the street right next door to First Federal Savings. You could buy beer there on Sunday if Mr. Jarrell knew you (don't tell anyone).

Kelly's hamburgers.

Green's drive in on East Boundry.

Banks cafe. My family were friends with Bobby Banks and he was the principal of Tutt Jr. High and Westside high while I attended. He (to my knowledge) never told my parents of my hijinks during my time there.

Good Ale Inn on Sand Bar Ferry road. They didn't check IDs on prom night if you were dressed right.

Snappy's hamburgers next to the Imperial Theater.

Madison Woo's restaurant (I can't remember the name) on Walton Way. His pretty daughter Michelle.

The Continental restaurant at the airport.

The Shirley Hotel..well everybody knew what that place really was.

Man I could go on for a while.

Trooper Terry....ahh good times. I got to be on there once or twice. Grew up and became a cop....probably HIS fault! :-)

Kelly-Pepsi Buddy Club. One Kelly wrapper and four Pepsi tops got you into the Imperial on Saturday morning. Saw Planet of the Apes there on it's first run!

Shirley Hotel....err....yeah.... :-)

T's Drive In at Daniel Field

Augusta Aviation at Daniel Field (aka Mr. Buster's and Miss Betty's).....soloed at 16!

A. R. C.! Class of '78

Southgate Theater...saw Star Wars about 11 times. I seem to remember some DJ "pole sitting" there trying for a record.

WBBQ Bob Young- "Where's Bob????" and Dick Shannon - "Dick's so dumb" to the tune of "Disco Duck"

Daniel Village Theater....saw "The Blue Max" when I was about 6!

WAY BACK...the old Forest Hills Drive Inn at Jackson Rd and Wrightsboro Rd.
Clean Car Wash...opposite corner of same intersection behind Chevron....1st job!

Roses Dept. Store - 2nd Job!

The Great Savannah River Raft Race

Sneaking into the "Cafe Natural" on Central for beer while under age.

GOOD TIMES!

Old 09-26-2009, 07:29 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
I was born in Augusta, lived there for about 5 years, and summers if we were somewhere close. Both my grandparents lived in the area, paternal lived on Telfair St. walking distance to town. They had one of the best fig trees in the back yard, I remember many days making a meal out of fresh figs. maternal lived on Carolina Ave in N. Augusta. My favorite memory is the smell of fresh roasted peanuts from those planters carts that would roam the sidewalks, and warm freshly roasted peanuts, almost impossible to find these days. Of course, I boil my own, and up here, people make this strange face when you mention boiled peanuts, I smile, this means more for me.

Old 01-30-2010, 12:36 PM

1,138 posts, read 2,694,317 times
My dad told me about when he was a kid (around the 1970's) that there was some sort of small zoo way out in South Augusta, he showed me the building one day, there were paintings of animals on it, I don't remember what road it was though, maybe Peach Orchard or Windsor Spring road? He said there were lions or tigers and other animals there.

Also, I was driving out in South Augusta one day going to some bbq place way out in the country (again, I don't exactly remember the road I was on, maybe one of those I listed above), and I remember driving past what appeared to be an old wooden roller coaster. Not sure what that was all about.

If anyone knows about either of these things, I'd love to hear about it.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 AM

4 posts, read 61,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge27 View Post
Trooper Terry....ahh good times. I got to be on there once or twice. Grew up and became a cop....probably HIS fault! :-)

Kelly-Pepsi Buddy Club. One Kelly wrapper and four Pepsi tops got you into the Imperial on Saturday morning. Saw Planet of the Apes there on it's first run!

Augusta Aviation at Daniel Field (aka Mr. Buster's and Miss Betty's).....soloed at 16!

A. R. C.! Class of '78

Southgate Theater...saw Star Wars about 11 times. I seem to remember some DJ "pole sitting" there trying for a record.

WBBQ Bob Young- "Where's Bob????" and Dick Shannon - "Dick's so dumb" to the tune of "Disco Duck"

Clean Car Wash...opposite corner of same intersection behind Chevron....1st job!

GOOD TIMES!
Living in Augusta years ago was full of Good Times!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Rhodes View Post
I was born in Augusta, lived there for about 5 years, and summers if we were somewhere close. Both my grandparents lived in the area, paternal lived on Telfair St. walking distance to town. They had one of the best fig trees in the back yard, I remember many days making a meal out of fresh figs. maternal lived on Carolina Ave in N. Augusta. My favorite memory is the smell of fresh roasted peanuts from those planters carts that would roam the sidewalks, and warm freshly roasted peanuts, almost impossible to find these days. Of course, I boil my own, and up here, people make this strange face when you mention boiled peanuts, I smile, this means more for me.
Planters Peanuts on Broad St. proves one thing, You were'nt born yesterday! (1940's)

Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideDave View Post
My dad told me about when he was a kid (around the 1970's) that there was some sort of small zoo way out in South Augusta, he showed me the building one day, there were paintings of animals on it, I don't remember what road it was though, maybe Peach Orchard or Windsor Spring road? He said there were lions or tigers and other animals there.

Also, I was driving out in South Augusta one day going to some bbq place way out in the country (again, I don't exactly remember the road I was on, maybe one of those I listed above), and I remember driving past what appeared to be an old wooden roller coaster. Not sure what that was all about.

If anyone knows about either of these things, I'd love to hear about it.
Hal's Kitchen Peach Orchard Rd. closed up about 25 years ago. bbq place was Sconyers he sold the land to Wal Mart and built a nice place behind Wal Mart and the bbq is fantastic!

Old 02-10-2010, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge27 View Post

A. R. C.! Class of '78

GOOD TIMES!
Dick Shannon died in 2007, Bob Young left WGAC in the early 80's and moved to Phoenix, AZ and married Kim Komando

Old 02-12-2010, 10:44 PM

1,042 posts, read 3,263,459 times
Pretty much grew up there. Visit about once a year. Missing-1. Evans Middle School which is now a HomeDepot and Cracker Barrel. 2. Fat Mans Forest downtown. Really miss that place! 3. Treasury Drug in Columbia Square as well as Home Folks and anything else that use to be there. Use to walk to the movie theater there for field trips from Martinez Elementary.

Old 02-13-2010, 01:45 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,856,623 times
Smoaks' Bakery back when Connie and Sam used to run it. And....at the Medical College Hospital, in the basement was a Tavern, I was young back then and the place catered well to children. Might have had something to do with my Grandmother running the place. She painted the nose red on one of the stuffed Deer heads adorning the walls, thereafter known as "Rudolph".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Augusta area